Highlighted
nl_17
Level 1: Cadet

FttN Line Dropouts

Hi all, So my question pertains to line dropouts for my FttN connection; to provide context; my house technically is the last house and at the end of the cable run for my entire street. My connected devices are set on auto-update for software updates (just like the modem).

Since moving from ADSL2+ to NBN, my line connection has been somewhat spotty with connection during certain times & even certain weather conditions. I moved from ADSL2+ to FttN in November last year, since installation, on average there's been line drop outs as minimal as 1 time per month to as often as every 30 minutes every day (except for when the line completely is inoperable).

Most of the line drop outs would happen mid-afternoon to past midnight most days. However, when it was really bad, the Smart Modem would more or less be stuck in an endless "attempt to reconnect" to the network. This would also occur out of the blue when there was moderate rain. I had been told by previous technicians with other service providers before I was with Telstra that certain telecommunications pits adjacent to my street had been susceptible to water damage (mainly due to where these pits were located and noting local geography).

The first instance, in January of this year, I had called support to fix the issue and it was resolved within a week with help from NBN technicians. However, 6 weeks later in mid-March, the line drop outs had returned but even worse (so much that I had lost internet for over 3 weeks). Again, called support and resolved, albeit within 2 weeks.

From then, until just before halfway through June (around the 15-16th), I had not experienced any significant issues with my connection. But now, it has returned. Lately, on average, each "connected" session would last no longer than 25 - 30 minutes before the modem would "restart".

As of writing this question, the WAN/DSL light on the Smart modem has more or less been flashing for a constant 30 minutes. I have recently called and was expected of a resolution before the end of June; however, this issue has not been resolved. Are there any other options that I could do? I have had the telecommunications wiring checked on my premises and they told me it was fine.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Support Team
Support Team

Re: FttN Line Dropouts

Thanks for reaching out, @nl_17. I can understand your concerns regarding your internet connection and apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. 

Did our team provide an explanation for this? Have you spoke with them since the end of June to have this escalated?

- Tim  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

nl_17

@TimmyT Hi, basically no other explanation than just "please be available at premises on date of scheduled appointment" - next appointment scheduled 10/7 @ 8-12pm. 

Support Team
Support Team

@nl_17, thanks for the update. Please do let us know how you go with the appointment on Wednesday.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

nl_17

@Renee @TimmyT So it is 12:30pm on 10/7 and no technician has attended my premises. 

I have recently contacted support and have been told the same thing as previous; which is to wait for a call back. Did answer call back but it basically reiterated the same. 

The provided reference # is INC06194260.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @nl_17

This is most certainly not the feedback we like to see coming from our customers.

Can I ask if you were given a SR reference for the outstanding matter?

I can then use this to reach out to the case manager for further assistance.

Please let me know so I can help.

- Stef

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now