Jasperoz
Level 2: Rookie

Fttc

Just need some quick clarification on this. I'm signed up for Telstra NBN, new customer. So far four Telstra people have given me four different answers. I have my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 already. NBN connection box due tomorrow. The Four answers to my question ' What do I do to connect?.

Answer 1. Plug the NBN box into the existing wall socket and modem as per instructions and it will all work.
2. No need for the NBN box. Just plug the Modem into the phone socket.
3. As per answer 1 but an NBN tech will need to come inside my home to connect.
4. As per answer 1 but an NBN tech will attend but won't need to come inside my home.

My NBN Service Class is 33.
I think answer 1 is correct but I don't want to stuff things up.
Thanks.
Jasperoz

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Fttc

Answer 1 is correct. Connect the NCD to wall socket and connect red WAN port of Telstra modem to Ethernet port on NCD.

Answer 2 applies to FTTC/B connections.

Answer 3 would apply if you were at service class 31

Answer 4 would apply If you were at service class 32

NBN service class 3 means “Premises connected to FTTC is now connected, but an NCD (nbn™ device) is still required.”

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The NBN technician brings the connection box with them, so it will be number 3. They connect it for you and make sure that the connection between your house and the FTTC node in the street works.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jasperoz

Thank you cf4. That's my belief too. I've never heard of fttc/b?
Jasperoz
Jasperoz

Thanks Jupiter. Telstra tell me the NBN box will be delivered tomorrow but I don't know how. I guess we'll see.
Jasperoz
Jasperoz

Hello Jupiter,

NBN connection box was delivered last Wed by Aust Post/Start Tracker. I plugged it in (relying on cf4's answer) and two of the blue lights came on and remained solid but not the dsl light. I tried all cable/phone point permutations but no changes.

I am told by Telstra that an NBN tech will attend between 8-12 noon this Thursday but my attendance will not be required. So I guess he/she won't be bringing an NBN box with him/her?

I will be at home so I hope to see him/her in the street and then get out and see what is happening.

Will report back afterwards.

Jasperoz

In my previous post meant to say FTTN/B (Fiber to the node or Fibre to the building) not FTTC/B didn't see your reply or would have replied earlier.

The NBN Technician should only need to do work on the street cabling (Disconnect phone line from exchange and connect phone line leading to from your premises to DPU). Normally NBN Tech should not need to visit your premises.

You must have been at service class 32 instead of service class 33 See link below for explanation of NBN connection classes

https://10mates.com.au/nbn-service-classes/

"What is Service Class 32 ?
The location is within the FTTC footprint, copper lead-in present but not cut-in to Distribution Point Unit (DPU), nbn™ connection device – also known as a Network Connection Device (NCD) is required. Ok so this means a tech needs to visit in order to patch your existing copper to the DPU in the pit or on the power pole, you also don't have an NCD in your house yet so the tech will need to install that also.
What is Service Class 33 ?
The location is within the FTTC footprint, copper lead-in present and cut-in to Distribution Point Unit (DPU), nbn™ connection device – also known as a Network Connection Device (NCD) is required. You should be able to see a DPU installed either on a power pole or in a telco pit."

Jasperoz

Thanks cf4. This is where I found my Service Class from - But I'm always sceptical about documents matching up with reality.

Screenshot (9).png

Jasperoz
cazzah
Level 1: Cadet

FTTC I've had mine about a month now. I did answer no.1 My modem AND NBN box arrived together .

My experience so far : For almost 2 weeks I had been using it  semi-satisfied but slow and dropouts occasionally. I thought I would look at my new account and it said  order pending..(go figure haha).I questioned this via chat and apparently a tech issue had occurred . I was then contacted by Telstra and after a lengthy call was told an NBN contractor was appointed for today and he would need access to house. Stayed home all morning waiting with no contact at all. No idea whats going on now.but  already sick of my time being wasted. Good luck :-)

@Jasperoz wrote:
Just need some quick clarification on this. I'm signed up for Telstra NBN, new customer. So far four Telstra people have given me four different answers. I have my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 already. NBN connection box due tomorrow. The Four answers to my question ' What do I do to connect?.

Answer 1. Plug the NBN box into the existing wall socket and modem as per instructions and it will all work.
2. No need for the NBN box. Just plug the Modem into the phone socket.
3. As per answer 1 but an NBN tech will need to come inside my home to connect.
4. As per answer 1 but an NBN tech will attend but won't need to come inside my home.

My NBN Service Class is 33.
I think answer 1 is correct but I don't want to stuff things up.
Thanks.

Highlighted
Jasperoz

Thanks Cazzah. How is your connection now? Maybe the Tech attended but just went to the pit and determined no need to go to the house?

Jasperoz

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now