CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
gjb1312
Level 1: Cadet

Gateway modem showing no phone light

Answered

Connected to the NBN 2 months ago and no end of dramas ever since. HFC connection with NBN NTD (or Arris) box and Telstra supplied Gateway modem. Connection initially worked OK but then intermittently the modem would disconnect from the NBN NTD box. 4 solid green lights on NBN NTD box at all times but Gateway modem would show green light for link and green light for online but no light at all for phone. Power cycling both the NBN NTD box and the Gateway modem would do the trick but very annoying to have to do that every 3 or 4 hours.

A week ago the Gateway modem ceased to work at all with no power reaching the unit. Tried different wall outlets, different power pack etc but to no avail. New Gateway Max 2 modem received from Telstra and on installing initially had the same problem. Finally replaced the WAN cable linking the NBN NTD box and the modem which seemed to do the trick with all 3 lights on the Gateway Max 2 modem coming up green and all connections working fine. 4 days later (the longest period of time we have actually had internet in 2 months since connecting to the NBN), the green phone light has disappeared again and the internet has gone out again. Power cycling, hard resetting the Gateway modem has not fixed the issue. All lights on the NBN NTD box are solid green throughout. So again, on the Gateway modem I have a solid green light for link and a solid green light for online, no phone light and internet not working. If you try to access the internet you get the Gateway modem screen telling me either my internet is currently down or my broadband is working normally??

I am fresh out of ideas. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Gateway modem showing no phone light

Hi N-B-N, 

If the basic troubleshooting which is outlined below doesn't get your phone light on your Telstra Gateway to turn green, this would indicate an issue with the account.  The team best trained to investigate this is our NBN support team.

NBN HFC Troubleshooting.

1. Turn off your cable modem and the NBN Connection box (NTD).
  2. Disconnect all coaxial cables and reattach, as this helps to clean the connectors
  3. Leave the modem and NBN NTD box completely turned off and disconnected for at least 10 minutes. This will force the modem to renegotiate the connection to the network in a way that a restart will not.
  4. If you have Foxtel and a splitter, try connecting the modem directly to the outlet without the splitter. Splitters can become faulty and may need to be replaced.
  5. If you have multiple outlets, try the modem connected into each one.

If this doesn't get you back online please contact our NBN support team on 1800 834 273, (says 'faults' when prompted.)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
36 REPLIES 36
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi gjb1312, 

It sounds like you've done the troubleshooting that is possible from your end. You may need to contact our NBN Assurance team again to see if they can look into this further.

1800 834 273.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

N-B-N
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Kenobi and gib,

I have the exact same problem.
I got NBN HFC installed few weeks ago. All lights are green and there is no light on the Phone led.

Telstra tech support seriously is failing in helping out. Any help?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi N-B-N, 

If the basic troubleshooting which is outlined below doesn't get your phone light on your Telstra Gateway to turn green, this would indicate an issue with the account.  The team best trained to investigate this is our NBN support team.

NBN HFC Troubleshooting.

1. Turn off your cable modem and the NBN Connection box (NTD).
  2. Disconnect all coaxial cables and reattach, as this helps to clean the connectors
  3. Leave the modem and NBN NTD box completely turned off and disconnected for at least 10 minutes. This will force the modem to renegotiate the connection to the network in a way that a restart will not.
  4. If you have Foxtel and a splitter, try connecting the modem directly to the outlet without the splitter. Splitters can become faulty and may need to be replaced.
  5. If you have multiple outlets, try the modem connected into each one.

If this doesn't get you back online please contact our NBN support team on 1800 834 273, (says 'faults' when prompted.)

View solution in original post

N-B-N

Hi Kenobi,

Rang Telstra and techs came out a few times and didn't find any fault on their side. NBN sent out a tech and he didn't find any fault on this side. Techs are blaming each other and my problem is unresolved.

Have a thread going here: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/HFC-Installed-few-days-ago-Phone-line-is-dead-...

Pelase review and let me know what you can do about it.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks, 

I've reviewed that thread and responded to it.

Fleegle1
Level 1: Cadet

Followed instructions for hard reset all good.We had a severe electrical storm which I think may have been the cause . 

Thanks.

mrjmxq

Since moving to NBN Fixed Wireless (14th Jan 2018), we are having a similar issue
(loss of phone light on FAST5355 Telstra Gateway)

Symptoms:
Once (at least) per day, phone light goes off, however, LINK and ONLINE lights on the Telstra gateway remain green and internet is available.
The NBN NTD is all fine, with all green lights
A quick power cycle of the Telstra gateway resolves the issue.
However, when the phone light is not on, we cannot receive or make calls. Importantly, people are trying to call us and cannot get through

1 - NBN 50/20 plan (Telstra)
2 - Fixed Wireless
3 - Home phone connected to Telstra Gateway
Model: FAST5355-A
Software Version: SG7E10001126

Support self diagnosis is currently failing (26th Jan) and Telstra is reporting we are on copper line phone, which is incorrect
Avengersb

Same problem with the latest telstra Smart Modem.

Had renegotiated with Telstra to stay with them...same phone line . Same NBN 100/40 just now data.
Only difference is Smart modem and phone light is dead off. Nbn works fine.

Reverted back to 2yr old telstra gateway max modem and all phone lines ok.

Second smart modem sent out...same issue.
Been through troubleshooting steps about 6 times.es with as many support/tech people.
No change.
I am switching off device for 30min and disconnecting... will start from new installation after factory reset ....again...5th time and second telstra modem lucky.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Is the smart modem connected directly to NBN or is there a third party modem or router and Smart Modem is connected its LAN port?
Avengersb

Telstra Smart Modem Techicolour model: DJA0230 is connected directly to the fibre to home NBN port - 100/40.

No other Lan connected device is attached.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Avengersb

With your smart modem, is your backup connection active ( purple light on backup ) as this would indicate it is not picking up the WAN connection and the phone line would not activate in this state. 

As you mentioned you are on an FTTP connection, tech support should be be able to test whether they can see the smart modem mac address connected on the NBN side.

- AlistairQWA

Avengersb

Smart Modem works for nbn internet. Green lights for link and online.
I have been through telstra support and they have checked lines from their end ...all ok.

I have confirmed that nbn connection works from my side and seen by telstra as active...

No light on phone connection on NEW Telstra

Tried old telstra Max modem...nbn and phone line works.
2 smart modems now do not work on phone line but both have full nbn.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

With the old modem still being active with the phone and the network connection for broadband working on all devices then I would assume the activation process for the phone service has not pushed the details for the new device/s.

Seems more like an escalation rather than a connection fault that needs to be raised by technical support. 

- AlistairQWA

Avengersb

So are you saying that the 2 tech ppl I spoke to should have checked that the service is connected or registered to a specific device....since they sent me 2 new modems shouldn't they know this?

Re "push the details for the new device" Surely this can't be true...if I go out and buy a new COMPATIBLE Modem eg netgear modem...I should have no issues swapping out the existing Telstra modems right.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The transition should be automated when the new modem is connected so it knows the device it should be sending the phone information to. It does not appear it has happened with this connection and would mean it will have to be escalated further by the tech support team as it is not a specific modem issue now that there has been 2 tested.

- AlistairQWA

RikL
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have a similar problem but I don’t have line, online or phone lights showing but do have WiFi, pair and power all showing green. I was on the phone for 1.5 hrs today with no luck in getting through and I needed to go out. Any help would be great.
Level 22: Superhuman

If you dont have link green, either the modem isnt plugged in properly or there is an issue with your line. Are you on nbn, if so what type or are you on adsl?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

RikL

We were on adsl but today I decided to plug in our new modem from Telstra as we were told the nbn is available in our area now.
RikL

Very funny that the phone light isn’t even on but we can receive calls. Just can’t use internet.

Do you still have your old modem and if its plugged in does it still work?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

RikL

Yes I still have it and yes it was working this morning.
RikL

No I just plugged it in and no it’s not working anymore

Okay, neither modem is working when plugged in but the phone is. Its probably a fault. Youll need to call 132200 to speak with the faults team

RikL

Sorry I connected the old one wrong. Yes it is working now I have WiFi onto my phone and iPads.
RikL

Sorry I connected my old modem wrong so have adjusted now. It is working so just the new one that isn’t

Okay, when you set up the new modem are you plugging the phone cable into the grey dsl port?

RikL

It already had the cables attached in the box so I have an adsl filter box which one end goes into my wall socket, it has 2 lines out the other end a black one which is placed in the PSTN black space and a grey one which is plugged into the DSL grey space. The only other cable attached is the power line.

Okay, what happens if you plug the modem directly into the wall socket with no adsl splitter or landline phone connected

RikL

I have just hooked from wall socket straight to DSL with no change.
RikL

I just turned off power then back on again. Link light went from white to blue to green then once it was green the online light came on in white but then they both went off together straight away

Okay, are the link and online lights both off or are they coloured and if so what colours are they

RikL

They are both off now. The link light has been coming on every now and then and is white but then goes off

Okay, try factory resetting the modem. Hold the reset button on the front in with a pin for 10 seconds. Give it 5-10 mins to connect after that. If it still doesnt work, its probably faulty and can be replaced under warranty

RikL

Thankyou I’ll let you know how I go
RikL

No luck so I guess I’ll have to phone Telstra 😩

You can call or there is a link for faults in my signature to start a live chat. You can type up all the troubleshooting you have done then copy and paste it into the chat its its easier.

Main points are you have 1: isolated the modem no change. 2: factory reset and powercyled no change. 3: your old modem still works. One thing I would get them to check is auth attempts. But i would expect a green link and a white/blue online for auth issues

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now