CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Gen 2 modem in mobile mode and Ethernet connected Velop mesh router

Answered

I have a Telstra Gen 2 modem connected to a Linksys Velop mesh router system.

Last night when the NBN went offline the Telstra modem switched over to mobile mode.

While in this mode the Velop system went offline but a wifi device connected to the Telstra modem worked fine. Tried restarting the Velop system, same result. 

Does the Telstra modem not support Ethernet connected devices when in mobile mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Gen 2 modem in mobile mode and Ethernet connected Velop mesh router

NBN down again this morning, Telstra Gen 2 in 4G Backup mode but Linksys Velop still offline.

Checked that the interface between the Velop and the Gen 2 was up, which it was and I could log into either locally.

Noticed that the Velop was indicating that it was disconnected from the "Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Services" - so I guess it needs to connect to this to bring up the service.

Noticed that the Telstra Gen 2 in 4G mode was using DNS servers in the network 10 range rather than the 'normal' Telstra broadband DNS servers.

What I've done now...

Reserved an IP address for the Linksys Velop and took it out of the DHCP range in the Telstra Gen 2 modem.

Changed the Velop IPv4 LAN interface to static IP assignment (rather than DHCP) and statically assigned the two Telstra NSW DNS servers (61.9.194.49 & 61.9.195.193) along with the specified static IP address.

Changed the Velop DHCP server to issue these two DNS servers to the Velop client devices.

NBN back online before I could make and test these changes. As you said I could test by disconnecting Telstra modem from the NBN modem (I am on HFC), but shouldn't have to wait too long until the next NBN outage anyway - it has been offline for hours every day this week so far.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

In backup mode modem is configured too nly have a IPv6 address on the WAN. Your Velop might be configured to use only IPv4. You can either check the IPv6 settings on the Velop or configure the LztE backup in the modem for IPv6 and IPv4.

Highlighted

Good point. 
I have checked the Velop and it is set to use IPv6 automatically. 
However it is still given a IPv4 address on the Ethernet port connecting to the Gen 2 modem. 
Wondering if it is a DNS issue as the Velop is set to Auto DNS and the Telstra modem in mobile mode only has IPv6 DNS entries. 
maybe try setting the IPv4 Telstra DNS entries directly in the Velop entries 

Highlighted

What model of the Smart do you have. The model number is displayed on LHS of login screen http://192.168.0.1. It is fairly easy to configure the modem to use both IPv4 and IPv6 when in backup.

On the LH1000 model Go to Advanced > Internet > LTE, change PDP type to IPv4/IPv6 and save settings.

The DJA0231 is a bit more complicated. Go to Advance > Mobile. On the Profile Tab add a new profile the same as default profile but with PDP changed to IPv4/IPv6 and a different name. On the Configuration Tab select the new profile and save settings.

If you are on 4G back will lose the Internet for a few seconds and front light changes from orange to red to blue.

Alternatively could try solution in this link 

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/How-to-get-IPv6-really-working-with-Velop/td...

Highlighted

Thanks will check it out when I get home this evening

Highlighted

I’ve made the suggested changes and it is now set to IPv4/v6 as suggested. Seems I have the LH1000 model.

i have used a different Gen 2 modem in the past with the Velop while running on mobile backup and it worked fine. Maybe it was already set to ipv4/v6?

The only other difference was around then I would have set the Telstra DNS servers as static entries in the Velop config.

lets see what happens when the NBN fails next.

Highlighted

Modems with earlier firmware used to have an IPv4 address when on 4G back. You can test the 4G backup by disconnecting the DSL port on a DSL connection (ADSL or FTTN/B) or disconnecting the WAN port on all other types of connection.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

NBN down again this morning, Telstra Gen 2 in 4G Backup mode but Linksys Velop still offline.

Checked that the interface between the Velop and the Gen 2 was up, which it was and I could log into either locally.

Noticed that the Velop was indicating that it was disconnected from the "Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Services" - so I guess it needs to connect to this to bring up the service.

Noticed that the Telstra Gen 2 in 4G mode was using DNS servers in the network 10 range rather than the 'normal' Telstra broadband DNS servers.

What I've done now...

Reserved an IP address for the Linksys Velop and took it out of the DHCP range in the Telstra Gen 2 modem.

Changed the Velop IPv4 LAN interface to static IP assignment (rather than DHCP) and statically assigned the two Telstra NSW DNS servers (61.9.194.49 & 61.9.195.193) along with the specified static IP address.

Changed the Velop DHCP server to issue these two DNS servers to the Velop client devices.

NBN back online before I could make and test these changes. As you said I could test by disconnecting Telstra modem from the NBN modem (I am on HFC), but shouldn't have to wait too long until the next NBN outage anyway - it has been offline for hours every day this week so far.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Just tested this config change by physically disconnecting the ethernet cable from the Telstra modem to the NBN modem.

Telstra Gen 2 modem switches over to 4G mobile and the Velop NOW remains online and all my home devices have retained internet access.

Glad to hear using a static DNS server fixed the problem. Hope NBN are able to fix your drop out problem.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit