CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
HhhHjjjh
Level 2: Rookie

Get help in Australia?

Answered
Have been trying to get my nbn speed issue resolved for nearly 1 month now. Have been dealing with overseas call centers who are incompetent and ask me the same question about a speed test every time I ring up even though there is an open case. My allocated complaints manager Angel is not available during normal business hours in Australia and I cannot get any support as she is in charge of the case, this is pathetic. I have had 5 appointments for a tech to visit and on each occasion no one has turned up, mostly without even a call. This has cost me and my housemate days taken off work as well as waiting around for 2 days on the weekend for no one to show up.
Telstra will become like Vodafone and customers will leave them in droves as this current level of service is absolutely ridiculous.
The speed with my previous ISP was perfect and I wished I had never changed over, it has caused a lot of stress and time trying to get this sorted.
Telstra - sort this out!! Clearly your processes and overseas call centers are not working!!!!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Get help in Australia?

Given that it looks like you have a cable plugged in to the phone socket in the wall, you have an FTTN connection.

The lights are indicating that it can't see a DSL signal and that it is operating through backup mode (the magenta light).

Do you have an ADSL filter or splitter installed at all? If so, remove it.

If you factory reset the modem (either through the modem's homepage, or by using the little indented button near the power button), that will reset all the settings in the modem and it will try to reregister on the network.

If the lights stay the way they are after that, then there is no DSL signal on the line and a technician will need to investigate to see whether it is a problem between you and the node, or whether it is a backend problem on your account (possible if the last technician rocked up to your old address).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Flashing shows data Transfer and green is good. I'd make sure the ethernet cable is plugged into UNID1 on the NBN BOX (unless it was working plugged into a different one) then into the red WAN port on the modem. Id also recommend factory resetting the modem by holding the reset button down with a paper clip for 10 seconds if you haven't already as recommended by @Jupiter
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13

1: What type of NBN do you have?
2: What speeds were you getting and what are you getting now?
3: Were these Telstra techs or NBN techs (Telstra have no control over them)
4: Speed issue would most likely effect your old isp as its the same line
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

HhhHjjjh

25mbps, currently getting 0.01mbps
Technician twice turned up to my old address in WA even though I now live in Victoria, but my modem/Telstra tv got sent to corrrect address???
Was getting 40Mbps, now basically nil
1 was an nbn tech, the rest were Telstra techs

With the type of NBN is that FTTN by any chance? The download speed looks like the 4G backup on your smart modem has been shaped. Is the online light on your modem green or purple?

HhhHjjjh

Not 100% sure if its FTTN OT FTP.....
Ive attached a pic of the modem status...
Seems have another appt booked for tomorrow....see if they turn up...not holding my breath...IMG_1488.JPG

Okay, your on the backup. Where does your modem plug into, the phone socket on the wall or an nbn box?

Accepted Solution

Given that it looks like you have a cable plugged in to the phone socket in the wall, you have an FTTN connection.

The lights are indicating that it can't see a DSL signal and that it is operating through backup mode (the magenta light).

Do you have an ADSL filter or splitter installed at all? If so, remove it.

If you factory reset the modem (either through the modem's homepage, or by using the little indented button near the power button), that will reset all the settings in the modem and it will try to reregister on the network.

If the lights stay the way they are after that, then there is no DSL signal on the line and a technician will need to investigate to see whether it is a problem between you and the node, or whether it is a backend problem on your account (possible if the last technician rocked up to your old address).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
HhhHjjjh

the link was green at some stages over the past few weeks....but at most was getting 5Mbps when it was green
the modem is plugged to a NBN box via an Ethernet connection in the house
the NBN box is flashing "green" for the Online link

Okay you've got fttp. What color is the optical light on the nbn box

HhhHjjjh

it stays green, then goes off...and comes back on...
Accepted Solution

Flashing shows data Transfer and green is good. I'd make sure the ethernet cable is plugged into UNID1 on the NBN BOX (unless it was working plugged into a different one) then into the red WAN port on the modem. Id also recommend factory resetting the modem by holding the reset button down with a paper clip for 10 seconds if you haven't already as recommended by @Jupiter

HhhHjjjh

Thanks both for the tips and info, will try when get home and factory rest the modem...got nothing to lose.

Cheers
HhhHjjjh

Thanks

Factory reset worked!!!

If only 1st and 2nd level support has this knowledge, could have been fixed after 30 mins on the phone not 4 weeks of missed appointments and hours upon hours on the phone.

I do worry about their wisdom to move support overseas, short term profit gain, but long term customer pain.

Cheers

Great to hear your connection is working again :-)

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now