Highlighted
Johnnydibo
Level 1: Cadet

Google mesh and wifi

Answered

I have nbn and a combined Telstra modem/router. Due to the configuration of my home the modem/router must remain downstairs where the incoming nbn connection is located. This means upstairs has limited/weaker wifi coverage, even though I already have an extender plugged into a socket upstairs. I'm contemplating purchasing a Google 3 unit mesh unit in order to expand and strengthen the wifi coverage throughout the entire house, however will it work in conjunction with the Telstra existing modem/router, or do I have to somehow first turn off the Telstra wifi before installing the Google mesh? Regards John.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Google mesh and wifi

The Google Mesh should still work with WiFi turned on in the Telstra Gateway but it is best to turn WiFi off in Telstra Gateway to prevent it interference between the two WiFi Networks.
I don't own a Google Mesh network but from what I have read the Google Mesh unit connected to gateway has to be configured as a router and can't be configured as a access point which means the Telstra Gateway will either need to be Bridged or Google Mesh unit will have to be placed in the DMZ of Gateway. You will get internet access without doing this but due to the double NAT some devices and apps that use UPNP or port forwarding want work correctly.
Are you sure the WiFi extender upstairs is located in the best position. Have you used the Telstra Home Dashboard app to locate the best position for the WiFi extender.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

The Google Mesh should still work with WiFi turned on in the Telstra Gateway but it is best to turn WiFi off in Telstra Gateway to prevent it interference between the two WiFi Networks.
I don't own a Google Mesh network but from what I have read the Google Mesh unit connected to gateway has to be configured as a router and can't be configured as a access point which means the Telstra Gateway will either need to be Bridged or Google Mesh unit will have to be placed in the DMZ of Gateway. You will get internet access without doing this but due to the double NAT some devices and apps that use UPNP or port forwarding want work correctly.
Are you sure the WiFi extender upstairs is located in the best position. Have you used the Telstra Home Dashboard app to locate the best position for the WiFi extender.
Johnnydibo
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you. Unfortunately the manner in which my home is configured I've placed the existing extender in the nearest and highest AC point available. It does the job, but occasionally fades, no doubt because of the number of devices using it and perhaps some local interface, I really need to strengthen the signal so there's constant connection and strength. I really don't know how bridging is done, so will have do some research prior to making the purchase as the Google unit is not cheap, thank you again for your input, it's appreciated.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more