Highlighted
rowanp
Level 1: Cadet

HFC Installation Problem

Answered

We currently have Telstra HFC cable broadband. The service is currently active and is working right of this moment.

We ordered the NBN (HFC) from Telstra and yesterday the NBN intalled the NTD at our premisis.

The device was intalled at the same wall outlett that our current Telstra cable modem was running on. The technition placed a cable splitter on the line with the old cable modem on once side and the new NTD on the other.

Before leaving the tehnition asked me to test the cable broadband and mentioned that once all 4 green lights on the NTD are solid the device would be ready to use.

I waited 2 hours and checked. All 4 green lights on the NTD were solid. I switched the LAN cable from the cable modem to the NTD and plugged in the supplied Sagemcom F@st router. The LAN light on the F@st router remains white. The admin interface on the F@st modem still shows a connection error & no DHCP infomation.

I also tried using and Apple Airport router (in DHCP mode). The Airport router does actually retrieve an IP address from the NBN NTD however it does does not report an active connection. 

I have contected Telstra via chat & phone and been told numerous things, the last being something about the NBN router not being active or that the order was not fully processed?

Has anyone had a similar experiance? I would like to know what is really going on, or if this is normal? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BrendanLee
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: HFC Installation Problem

Hi there

Not too sure if you're still experiancing issues.

I'm just a Telstra customer like you, so believe what you will.

Once the NBN Tech comes to your premise to install the new NBN Cable modem, supposibly it will take 24 hours for the service to become active.

So the challenge you'll face here is that NBN has its own system, then there is Telstra that relies on NBN.

With your NBN Cable modem connected and powered on, the NBN system will eventually detect your modem and mark your order complete in their system.

Then once that happens, Telstra is supposed to 'delete' your previous Bigpond HFC connection, and mark the order complete on their end.

Until the NBN order is marked as complete, Telstra won't help you much, they'll just tell you that the order is not complete.

Until Telstra conducts sucessful line tests and mark your order as complete on their end, they still wont help you much.

Interestingly with all the LED lights on the NBN Cable modem solid green, I was able to connect the modem to my computer and get internet connectivity without doing anything else. This would of been maybe 8 hours after the install.

'Without doing anything else' in that theres no authentication etc, its all handled by the modem. Just connect a device and it should get an IP address and away you go.

I'll mention at that point, my NBN speeds were not what I expected, not even close, however I assume that was due to my service still in a provisioning state.

My advice to you is to try not to plug too many different things into your NBN Cable modem (what you refer to as the NTD), as just like with Bigpond, you get a limited amount of IP addresses. The DHCP lease normally lasts for 24 hours apparently.

The NBN tech actually told me not to plug anything into the modem during the 24hour period, however if you really want, leave your Telstra gateway/router connected, so at least you can monitor the connection.

Call up 1800 993 728

Quote your NBN order number

Find out the status of your order

If its still marked as incomplete, you can try badger the Telstra rep to escalate it etc.

If its marked as complete and you still dont have internet connectivity then tell them that and they should do something about it.

24hours is the standard activation time, however mine took 72hours? due to delays etc.

Your Telstra rep may or may not call you and keep you up to date with your order.

Once NBN marks your order as complete and your connection is activated, I found that my Bigpond connection stopped working. (All the lights were still solid green, just no network access)

At which point I removed the Bigpond modem/router, removed the coaxial splitter, connected the NBN modem directly to the wall plate and away I went (Despite Telstra telling me their line tests failed and my order would be left incomplete).

Hope this helps.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
BrendanLee
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Hi there

Not too sure if you're still experiancing issues.

I'm just a Telstra customer like you, so believe what you will.

Once the NBN Tech comes to your premise to install the new NBN Cable modem, supposibly it will take 24 hours for the service to become active.

So the challenge you'll face here is that NBN has its own system, then there is Telstra that relies on NBN.

With your NBN Cable modem connected and powered on, the NBN system will eventually detect your modem and mark your order complete in their system.

Then once that happens, Telstra is supposed to 'delete' your previous Bigpond HFC connection, and mark the order complete on their end.

Until the NBN order is marked as complete, Telstra won't help you much, they'll just tell you that the order is not complete.

Until Telstra conducts sucessful line tests and mark your order as complete on their end, they still wont help you much.

Interestingly with all the LED lights on the NBN Cable modem solid green, I was able to connect the modem to my computer and get internet connectivity without doing anything else. This would of been maybe 8 hours after the install.

'Without doing anything else' in that theres no authentication etc, its all handled by the modem. Just connect a device and it should get an IP address and away you go.

I'll mention at that point, my NBN speeds were not what I expected, not even close, however I assume that was due to my service still in a provisioning state.

My advice to you is to try not to plug too many different things into your NBN Cable modem (what you refer to as the NTD), as just like with Bigpond, you get a limited amount of IP addresses. The DHCP lease normally lasts for 24 hours apparently.

The NBN tech actually told me not to plug anything into the modem during the 24hour period, however if you really want, leave your Telstra gateway/router connected, so at least you can monitor the connection.

Call up 1800 993 728

Quote your NBN order number

Find out the status of your order

If its still marked as incomplete, you can try badger the Telstra rep to escalate it etc.

If its marked as complete and you still dont have internet connectivity then tell them that and they should do something about it.

24hours is the standard activation time, however mine took 72hours? due to delays etc.

Your Telstra rep may or may not call you and keep you up to date with your order.

Once NBN marks your order as complete and your connection is activated, I found that my Bigpond connection stopped working. (All the lights were still solid green, just no network access)

At which point I removed the Bigpond modem/router, removed the coaxial splitter, connected the NBN modem directly to the wall plate and away I went (Despite Telstra telling me their line tests failed and my order would be left incomplete).

Hope this helps.

rowanp
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the comprehensive response.

I did call Telstra (twice) and was told to it could take between 24-72 hours. They were waiting on a follow up from the NBN.

I have heard horror stories about people waiting weeks to get activates.

The saving grace is I do still have my cable connection.

If the cable connection drops out I'll give the NBN connection another try.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now