DaveL67
Level 1: Cadet

HFC NBN Dropouts

I had the HFC NBN installed 27/2/2017, after having a pretty much rock solid Cable broadband.

From the start I have had dropouts, multiple per day (>10) and as often as every 10 minutes.  I logged a fault for the intermittent service 2/3/2017, and was promised a technician visit 3/3/2017 but they never showed.

Many discussions & arguments with support later and even a complaint directly to NBN Corp and I now have an appointment for 21/3/2017.  Fantastic customer service.

So now I have a regularly failing internet service and hence phone service.  Was far better off with the slower cable internet and copper telephone line.

For me, the problem is the NBN cable modem (NTD) which is an Arris CM8200.  When I lose internet, in a couple of minutes the cable modem will turn off all lights and after 30 seconds it will do a hard reset - it will turn on the power light, do a self test, then resynchronise with the network and start working again.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Is it a known problem with CM8200 software or is it a hardware problem?  Even escalating to a case manager with Telstra is getting me nowhere - always I will be called back in 2 to 3 days.

I've attached a video of the CM8200 during a dropout/reset.

(view in My Videos)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: HFC NBN Dropouts

Hi DaveL67

If you have already gone through the basics like testing the NTD into an alternate power source and checked cables were not loose or too tight then the next escalation point would be NBN as it is network equipment. 

A complaint will usually be responded to withing 3-5 days but as the appointment is with NBN there may not be much that can be fast tracked as it is not a Telstra tech that is required for this. They can look into an interim option if there are no earlier NBN appointments. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

preid
Level 1: Cadet

Did you manage to resolve this?

I'm having exactly this issue with my Arris CM8200. An NBN tech has visited and claims both line and hardware are fine. At a loss now...

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If the Arris CM8200 is losing power like the video that DaveL67 shared, then I would suggest checking the power source as previously suggested by Alistair.

If the Arris is connected into a powerboard (not recommended), try connecting it into a different port on the power board, using a completely different power board with a safety switch and directly into the power socket. 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more