CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
z0ki
Level 3: Gumshoe

HFC - What's Supplied?

Answered

Hi guys,

I am looking for clarification regarding NBN's HFC via Telstra.

My area has gone RFS as of 3 days ago, and my area is already a HFC area, and i've already been a HFC Telstra customer for over 15 years. 

I changed over this morning, and I was told that there is no such thing as an Arris CM8200 modem and I will only recieve a Gateway Frontier in the mail. Which automatically I knew was wrong as people on here and Whirlpool have gotten this modem then a gatway.

Now, i've read some people say that NBN will send a technician to install the Arris CM8200 and provide this modem. But why would I need NBN to make an appointment for a tech to come to install this when I already have everthing installed, and I can self-install everything myself. 

The CS from Telstra said nothing about NBN needing to come our or any need for any kind of appointment.

So what I want to know is,

Will the frontier and the Arris 8200CM arrive in the same box on the same delivery? Will the Arris come at a seperate time? Or have i been stuffed around in being told that all i need in the frontier? 

She told me, that this frontier is a modem and will connect directly to the wall.

SO a little confused. Can someone confirm what actually happens?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: HFC - What's Supplied?

Since the start of the year, Telstra have been sending out 2 boxs HFC connection kits which included a Netgear CM450 cable modem and Telstra Gateway. This is for Telstra  standard HFC connections only, not NBN HFC.

NBN HFC connections require a NBN technician to install their modem (Used to be an Arris CM820 but now they install an Arris CM8200). This modem is then considered the NTD for the connection. You cannot self-install this. It has to be installed by NBN.

From there you connect your Telstra gateway to the Arris.

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

You do need a NBN technician to install the NBN equipment including the coax modem. Telstra only supplies a gateway and in some cases a DECT handset that pairs to the gateway. The basic gateway supplied by Telstra is the Sagemcom F@st 5355. The frontier gateway cost extra. The Telstra NBN self install connection kit arrives separate to the NBN equipment.

See NBN HFC Connections for information on NBN HFC connections

Only for NBN FTTN, FTTC or FTTB connections is there no need for a NBN technician.

z0ki

Why would I need a NBN technician to install anything? When I can do a self-install though? Plus I was told from Telstra that the frontier will be sent to me at no charge.

I've also just heard back from Telstra via Facebook and they told me that NBN don't need to send anyone. It's a he said she said kind of scenario and no real answer.

I don't even have an order number given to me. Just an INT- number. How would NBN even know to make an appointment?

All I've been told was

I don't need NBN to attend my properly, once I receive the Frontier gateway I just plug the coaxial from the wall to the Frontier Gateway and that's it.

Accepted Solution

Since the start of the year, Telstra have been sending out 2 boxs HFC connection kits which included a Netgear CM450 cable modem and Telstra Gateway. This is for Telstra  standard HFC connections only, not NBN HFC.

NBN HFC connections require a NBN technician to install their modem (Used to be an Arris CM820 but now they install an Arris CM8200). This modem is then considered the NTD for the connection. You cannot self-install this. It has to be installed by NBN.

From there you connect your Telstra gateway to the Arris.

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

View solution in original post

z0ki

Thank you Yastiandrie! Summed it up brilliantly. Now it makes sense on the procedure that takes place.

And how will I know that NBN received the order? I am assuming that Telstra will forward my details to NBN for them to contact me? I will probably receive the gateway frontier this week.

If the appointment was not given to you at the time of sale, you should get a call from Telstra again in a few days time to organise the NBN appointment with you

richdz
Level 2: Rookie

I have been advised that my NBN connection will be HFC next month. I currently have cable foxtel & cable internet using C6300BD. This is bridged & connected to WAN on my own router ASUS RT-AC87U. Connected to this is a ASUS router RT-AC68U for a VPN connection.

I understand that the NBN modem for the HFC will be a Arris CM8200 modem.

Telstra will supply their own Gateway router. I need to use this if I i want a phone service.

In theory should I be able to connect as follows:

Arris CM8200 modem LAN => WAN port on ASUS RT-AC87U LAN=> WAN Gateway router & WAN of RT68U.

Do any seetings need to be changed on the Gateway ( I only need to use this for phone)?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit