Paulaust
Level 2: Rookie

HFC cable speed before and after NBN installation

Answered

Dear Telstra,

One week ago, 3/6/19, I was cut over from Telstra to NBN. 

All want fine thanks, but I have one complaint. Over the last few months Telstra had given us 100Mbps as a gift for loyalty or something like that. Prior to this we had been given 50Mbps since early 2018.

One had to choose an NBN plan to be able to cut over to the NBN. 

I chose an appropriate plan for me. Unfortunately the “gift” of 100Mbps disappeared instantly. No warning, just gone. 

Prior to the NBN cut-over I would regularly get 110Mbps. Now I have a 70% reduction in speed to about 35-45Mbps.

i don’t like the fact that we were handed a lovely loyalty gift only to be taken away without consultation.  

It seems like we were just taken for a loyalty ride to keep us on the books.

dirty tricks I say. 

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: HFC cable speed before and after NBN installation

Welcome to the NBN  =/

Also the reason why they dont give you 100Mbps from the get go is cause of the ACCC. They need to determine first that your connection can handle it prior to giving it to you otherwise your provider will cop it. As 343GuiltySpark said you need to wait at least 1 month before being slugged more money for the top tier speed.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

After you've been on NBN HFC for a month you can upgrade to the 100/40 tier for $30 extra per month.

The free speed boost on Telstra HFC was due to the delays in being able to connect to NBN HFC and all of the outages caused by NBN works. It was never going to carry over to NBN as NBN has different speed constructs and charge more for bandwidth
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Welcome to the NBN  =/

Also the reason why they dont give you 100Mbps from the get go is cause of the ACCC. They need to determine first that your connection can handle it prior to giving it to you otherwise your provider will cop it. As 343GuiltySpark said you need to wait at least 1 month before being slugged more money for the top tier speed.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.
rossft
Level 1: Cadet

I'm expecting / dreading the same loss of value will occur when I am forced onto nbn via HFC cable. I'm now getting over 100Mbs for $80 / month - over 85 in peak times.

It seems I will be asked to pay $120 / month with Telstra to get less than I'm already getting now for $80! How is that progress in the internet age? Something in seriously wrong here if I have to pay more to get less after the government has invested $50+ billion in the system.

It's unclear how much this is down to the government's 3rd rate nbn and how much is down to Telstra, but I won't be rushing to connect the Telstra modem I have just been sent - nor sign up with anybody else for that matter, until I really have to.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Before NBN most people used ADSL for there internet connection. It was only a minority who had access to cable internet. The maximum speed of most of the ADSL speed was less the 10 Mbps down and 1 Mbps or less up. Even for those on cable the standard speed was 30 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up, customers had to pay for a speed boost in order to have a cable connection  cable of over 100 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up.

It is only in the past few years due to competition from NBN that Telstra has given its cable customers a free boost to 100 Mbps and increased maximum upload speed to 5 Mbps.

Customers still on ADSL are limited to a maximum of between 28 - 1 Mbps down and 1 Mbps or less up due to the limitations of the Technology.  In fact there are customers on ADSL complaining about having to pay the same as those on NBN because there speed is much lower. (See this post)

Telstra and most other ISP charge extra for a speed boost due to the extra fees that NBN charge for the speed boost.

rossft
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you cf4 (supreme being)

You've said pretty much what I expected - i.e. that the main reason that there is no quantum leap in the speed-per-dollar value with the nbn is the technical implementation of the nbn in conjunction with the wholesale pricing model.

We have been hearing since the Coalition was elected that their ridiculously compromised and 3rd rate implementation will leave Australia in the weeds compared to many other countries - even after spending a massive amount of public money. Now that the reality of less-for-more is staring me in the face, I've become yet another one of the hoards bleating their disgust into the ether.

There could well be a swath of people who have been raised from abysmal to barely acceptable speeds with the nbn - and have at least progressed up the speed-per-dollar scale - but that should not mean that those folks with already quite good speed-for-dollar deal (me) should have to go back down that scale with the introduction of the nbn. 

And if Telstra artificially raised expectations of performance value for HFC customers by handing out "free" speed upgrades in an effort to lock in those punters, then they are not without blame either - and that may well cause me to look elsewhere for my nbn - just on principle.

History tells us that it won't be very long before even 100Mbs will be too slow for the average household...then what? Wireless, I guess.

Highlighted
StrayaM8
Level 5: Eagle Eye

With a lot of Telstra Cable customers becoming aware that they will be going from a premium service (one of the best fixed internet experiences in australia) to NBN HFC at either the same or a higher price, due to wholesale price costs massively increasing, I assume that while they publicly said the free cable speed boost was to apologise for delays, which sounds good in publicity speak, in reality it may have been coming more from a place of "lets give them one last hurrah and go out on a bang"

In comparison to 100mbps on cable at $80 a month, NBN HFC with ANY provider is gonna leave a sour taste in someones mouth

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now