Highlighted
ShadowKnight332
Level 2: Rookie

Had enough of Pair Gains

So ever since we've moved into this house, we've had pair gains with telstra. I havent been using the internet much before, but nowadays I find myself relying on it alot, and lately we've been getting slow-no connection at all, at all times of the day, every day. Very rarely do I get a full 800KBps and if I do it lasts not even 10 minutes. We've called Telstra regarding to switch to ADSL2+ and they said "we will be able to switch from PG to ADSL2+", so they told us to hold the line while they get the information, so we waited for about 20 minutes only to get the reply "sorry, your not compatible for ADSL2+", and that really ticked me off wasting my time on that. Is there ANY way we can get off pair gains and get our own line of DSL?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Had enough of Pair Gains

Hi ShadowKnight, the Pair Gains system is used in some areas where there's been an expansion of population and additional phone services are required beyond the current capacity of the exchange - it's designed primarily to allow access to phone services, but when an order for broadband is placed our technician run tests (known as transpositioning tests) to see whether your connection can be moved to a port at the exchange which will also allow ADSL via the same line.

If you've placed an order recently and were advised that ADSL2+ isn't available at the moment our Activations teams on 13 22 00 will be able to advise of the exchange code for the area you're connected to. You can use this code to search for any upcoming port expansion works in your exchange area via the reports athttp://goo.gl/1ehBE.

The reports marked ‘Available ADSL Capacity – Exchanges’ and ‘Available ADSL Capacity – CAN’ let you know how many ports are available at the area in total and how many of those are currently unused. The reports ‘Planned ADSL Capacity Increases – CAN’ and ‘Planned ADSL Capacity Increases – Exchanges’ advise of any recently completed or upcoming work to provide more ports at the exchange or in street pillars. If there is scheduled work for an upcoming month I'd recommend placing an order towards the end of that month.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

ShadowKnight332

Alright, but for the time being, is there any way to prevent dropouts happening? Im on ethernet, and have a Netgear D6200.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi ShadowKnight, 

Our Tech Support team (open 24/7) via Live Chat here: http://tel.st/gq6m or on 133933 can assist with trouble shooting the drop out issue. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

ShadowKnight332

I called, and they did not provide ANY help whatsoever.

All I want is to get what we're paying for with NO DROP OUTS, because this has been going on for years and it's really getting on my nerves. If there is any possible way to stop these droppouts I'll be happy for the time being.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Shadowknight,

When you spoke to us, were we able to see what was causing the drops? Did we go through some troubleshooting with you?

Brodie

ShadowKnight332

No they couldn't, I'll try calling again, but in the meantime I would like someone to give us some options to get us out of Pair Gains, perhaps a private line at least.

Dorikan
Level 3: Gumshoe

You may also be a goodly distance from the exchange. I'm on pair gains and when I first set upt the internet at this place I found the distance between me and the exchange was such that even adsl2+ wouldn't be the best. 

You may want to find out if you can connect through cable instead, thats what I'm on and have had very few issues with it in over 10 years.

ShadowKnight332

Well, how does one get cable? cause I've asked for it and they said they'd check, but they didn't get back.

Support Team
Support Team

You will only be able to connect a cable service if the infrastructure is available in your street. You can check if this is available here: https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband

Thanks

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now