Highlighted
spider_79
Level 1: Cadet

Haven't been able to connect internet since I joined

Answered

Oh boy I will try to explain this the best I can, bear with me...

Soooo... I signed up to Telstra on the 28th April, had a message that the phone line/adsl was successfully connected days after that and got my modem on the 4th of May. I plugged in the telstra modem I was sent, connected my phone line to the modem, typed in my username and password and saw a message in my telstra gateway "your internet is working correctly". All green lights, wifi connected, everything all good EXCEPT I can't actually connect to the internet outside of the modem's interface at all. No pages will load, they all time out. 

So I:

Ran internet diagnostics on my Macbook Pro and was told the internet was working correctly.

I ran Telstra's troubleshooting tool I was told the internet was working correctly but had a big red cross next to account verification and told there was a problem with my account.

I signed into Telstra's My Account online (using my phone's data) and notice that under my broadband plan details there is a different username than what I signed into my account with. It's a "bigpond.com" username.

I can also sign into Telstra's My Account with this "bigpond.com" username and a different password which I was sent via sms from the "I forgot my password link".

So I have two different Telstra IDs linked to me and my broadband account. And two different passwords. But each of these have the same account number when logged in.

I have tried both usernames and both passwords in my modem settings.

I have tried combinations of each.

have tried both usernames and both passwords in a different modem (D-Link).

I have reset both modems numerous times.

I still can't access the internet.

I CAN access the internet INSTANTLY by putting in my previous ISP username and password (with Spintel) to the D-Link modem, which is supposed to be disconnected since I transferred to Telstra. Telstra handled the transfer so I was worried that my service wasn't cancelled with Spintel. I logged into my Spintel account and see that I have not active services, only closed services. When I click on the closed ADSL service link and look at usage I am definitely still using Spintel's internet. I have received an email from Spintel saying they are sorry I've cancelled and can I fill out a survey. I also received an email from Spintel today saying they've doubled my data each month for being such a loyal customer?

So my questions are these...

Is it normal to have two Telstra IDs linked to one person (not multiple people in the same house, one single person)

Could this be causing the issue with my connection/account verification issues

Should I still be able to access Spintel even though I have no active service with them listed on my account

Where do I go from here?

I've spoken to support a few times and they just want to send me a new modem or a technician but I don't want that. I believe it's a problem with my username/password perhaps. I have a modem that's working beautifully, but not with my Telstra username. 

I'm going to ring support again but before that I'm hoping someone can give me some advice? Please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Haven't been able to connect internet since I joined

Telstra fixed internet services will always have an @bigpond.com address as its primary account for activating the modem. You don't have to use it for anything else, but you will need to use it for the modem settings.

Depending on how and when the transfer was done, it could take up to 16 days before the transfer is completed, in which case it might still be in the transfer where the codes on the line still are the Spintel ones...

Essentially the way you usually would expect it to go is that you use the old service until that turns off and stops working then enter the new settings and they should start working at that point (or within a 4 hour period of that happening for a normal rapid transfer --- non-rapid transfer could see extended downtime).

My suggestion is to use the Spintel setup until it stops working, then once that stops working enter your bigpond details (the @bigpond.com address and password) and that should work, if that doesn't work after about say 6 hours (it is meant to be 4 hours, so 6 just to be sure), then it would suggest another issue in the churn, otherwise that would be what I would expect to happen.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Telstra fixed internet services will always have an @bigpond.com address as its primary account for activating the modem. You don't have to use it for anything else, but you will need to use it for the modem settings.

Depending on how and when the transfer was done, it could take up to 16 days before the transfer is completed, in which case it might still be in the transfer where the codes on the line still are the Spintel ones...

Essentially the way you usually would expect it to go is that you use the old service until that turns off and stops working then enter the new settings and they should start working at that point (or within a 4 hour period of that happening for a normal rapid transfer --- non-rapid transfer could see extended downtime).

My suggestion is to use the Spintel setup until it stops working, then once that stops working enter your bigpond details (the @bigpond.com address and password) and that should work, if that doesn't work after about say 6 hours (it is meant to be 4 hours, so 6 just to be sure), then it would suggest another issue in the churn, otherwise that would be what I would expect to happen.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

spider_79

Thankyou! This is all I needed to hear. I'll do what you say and wait until the connection stops working, then take it from there. I was so confused. I never received a welcome pack, or an order summary so once the modem came I just did what it said and tried to set it up. I feel like I've been taking crazy pills trying to sort this out. 

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. All forums need peeps like you :-)

If you have any more trouble let us know,

The churn process is one of those processes that I find one ISP really wants to discuss too much... I guess it is worry that if we knew how it worked it would mean more people churning out...

But yeah, the Rapid Transfer process is meant to make it that in essence you use the old one until it turns off, you then plug in the new modem or change the settings, you then have up to four hours downtime (often about 15 min), and bammm you are changed over...

If the old one turns off and you still can't get it going and the support team still can't help, let us know what it is coming up with at that point and we will see if we can get you some more help.
Helpful Links

spider_79

I just wish I spoke to you days ago!

Thanks again. I know where I'll be going if I have issues in the future. You're the bestest.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now