CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
RCL356
Level 3: Gumshoe

High International latency 260ms from australia to america on telstra ultimate cable

Answered

Is it normal to experience latency 260ms from australia to america on telstra ultimate cable as this causes problems with gaming on xbox live, voip and loading some pages. Have checked on xbox one settings, pingtest.net on pc ( get D for performance), traceroute and all show same latency problems. My speed is good but overseas latency seems to be high for ultimate cable? Is there a problem? Should i contact Telstra? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
melodicminor
Accepted Solution

Re: High International latency 260ms from australia to america on telstra ultimate cable

Hi,

Short answer - Sounds reasonable to me.

The long explanation -

I'm based in Perth and using a super-fast non-telstra Fibre connection at the moment (100mbit/100mbit).  Servers on the West/East coast of USA vary between 240-270ms round trip time for me here.    Don't forget that Ping time is the time taken for information to do a round trip (ie, to get to the USA and back again) and so these times are not particularly high when you consider the distance they are traveling.

USA ping times from Perth are typically 30-50ms higher than from the East coast of Aus, so I would expect ping times between 200-240ms if I were on the East coast of Aus - depending on the precise location of the server in the USA.

As you are using cable and there may also be congestion / contention in the connection, an extra 20-30ms or so does not seem unreasonable to me, personally.

Don't forget that regardless of the speed of your bigpond connection, your information can only travel at max the speed of light which is what you are measuring here (as opposed to bandwidth, which you measure on speedtest.net)

You should try pingtest with a local server to measure the latency in the local parts of your connection, and the grade awarded with a local server is what you should be concerned with.  If I pingtest against a server in London, UK, I'll always get a D, but if I pingtest against a server in Perth, I'll get an A.

-Melodic

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
melodicminor
Accepted Solution

Re: High International latency 260ms from australia to america on telstra ultimate cable

Hi,

Short answer - Sounds reasonable to me.

The long explanation -

I'm based in Perth and using a super-fast non-telstra Fibre connection at the moment (100mbit/100mbit).  Servers on the West/East coast of USA vary between 240-270ms round trip time for me here.    Don't forget that Ping time is the time taken for information to do a round trip (ie, to get to the USA and back again) and so these times are not particularly high when you consider the distance they are traveling.

USA ping times from Perth are typically 30-50ms higher than from the East coast of Aus, so I would expect ping times between 200-240ms if I were on the East coast of Aus - depending on the precise location of the server in the USA.

As you are using cable and there may also be congestion / contention in the connection, an extra 20-30ms or so does not seem unreasonable to me, personally.

Don't forget that regardless of the speed of your bigpond connection, your information can only travel at max the speed of light which is what you are measuring here (as opposed to bandwidth, which you measure on speedtest.net)

You should try pingtest with a local server to measure the latency in the local parts of your connection, and the grade awarded with a local server is what you should be concerned with.  If I pingtest against a server in London, UK, I'll always get a D, but if I pingtest against a server in Perth, I'll get an A.

-Melodic

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now