CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
DOTA2SEA
Level 1: Cadet

High Latency/Ping from Perth to Singapore (Routing Problem)

Answered

Hi,

I am having high ping/latency issues (around 210-220) when playing an online game (Dota 2) with a server in Singapore. I used to have around 70-90 ms before the SMW3 cable broke in October. Now that the cable has been fixed my ping to Dota 2 Singapore Server is still high. I believe this is a straight routing issue whereby I have tracked my routing via cmd prompt by pinging to the Dota 2 Singapore Server as shown below. It indicates that the connection is being routed from Perth > Adelaide > Melbourne > Sydney > Hongkong > Singapore while it could be routed from Perth straight to Singapore.

Tracing route to sgp-1.valve.net [103.28.54.16]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  mygateway [10.0.0.138]

2     *        *        *     Request timed out.

3    20 ms    19 ms    19 ms  144.130.217.209

4    22 ms    20 ms    21 ms  bundle-ether6.pie-core1.perth.telstra.net [203.50.6.212]

5    47 ms    47 ms    49 ms  bundle-ether3.way-core10.adelaide.telstra.net [203.50.6.234]

6    59 ms    59 ms    60 ms  bundle-ether16.exi-core10.melbourne.telstra.net [203.50.6.231]

7    72 ms    71 ms    70 ms  bundle-ether12.chw-core10.sydney.telstra.net [203.50.11.124]

8    71 ms    71 ms    72 ms  bundle-ether1.oxf-gw11.sydney.telstra.net [203.50.6.93]

9    71 ms    71 ms    71 ms  bundle-ether2.oxf-gw10.sydney.telstra.net [203.50.6.94]

10    70 ms    72 ms    71 ms  bundle-ether1.sydo-core04.sydney.reach.com [203.50.13.94]

11    72 ms    71 ms    71 ms  i-0-1-0-46.sydo-core03.bi.telstraglobal.net [202.84.222.57]

12   185 ms   186 ms   185 ms  i-15203.hkth-core02.telstraglobal.net [202.84.138.41]

13   218 ms   218 ms   216 ms  i-15152.sgcn-core01.telstraglobal.net [202.84.141.109]

14   216 ms   216 ms   216 ms  i-91.istt04.telstraglobal.net [202.84.224.197]

15   216 ms   215 ms   215 ms  unknown.telstraglobal.net [210.176.138.195]

16     *        *        *     Request timed out.

17   216 ms   216 ms   216 ms  103.28.54.16

I am using ADSL2+ connection.

Most of my gaming mates are playing in SEA Server and it would be nice if I could playing with them again.

Regards,

Zela

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: High Latency/Ping from Perth to Singapore (Routing Problem)

SMW3 fails so often now that it can be very difficult to find updates to it's status.

Telstra doesn't use the ASC as far as I'm aware.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Vocus used to be good for info but now they have their sole-owned (after the brough out the other companies in the joint venture) cable and only use sea-me as backup.

Telstra global doesn't list the status of any of the submarine cables.

At this rate INDIGO's going to come online before it's fully repaired
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7

Your culprit is yet another failure of SMW3. That is why traffic is being routed through Sydney.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

SMW3 is basically beyond the repair...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

been issues on the sea-me-w3 cable since october

Last i heard it was planned to be repaired by 9/1 pending permits being approved by indonesian authorities

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

Sorry ^ for initial work as there are 2 faults present, after first is repaired it can be further assessed

DOTA2SEA
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the info. Any source where I could track their progress? I usually go to iinet or vocus status web-page for info but these websites no longer indicate that there's an issue with SMW3.

Isn't Australia has an additional Perth-Singapore cable in operation now? The ASC project is said to be commissioned and working (https://australiasingaporecable.com/).
Accepted Solution

SMW3 fails so often now that it can be very difficult to find updates to it's status.

Telstra doesn't use the ASC as far as I'm aware.

Accepted Solution

Vocus used to be good for info but now they have their sole-owned (after the brough out the other companies in the joint venture) cable and only use sea-me as backup.

Telstra global doesn't list the status of any of the submarine cables.

At this rate INDIGO's going to come online before it's fully repaired

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now