CrowdSupport®
Anonymous
Level 1: Cadet

High Latency Spikes

Recently my latency ingame (League of Legends) has been spiking to about 300-1000ms and I don't know why. When my ping goes that high, I go and check all the devices connected and it seems like no one is downloading or uploading anything. A few days ago, however, I received an email from BigPond warning me of a malware infection. I have since scanned and cleared all computers/laptops connected to the network. Now, I went to check my data usage for the month and heres what I've got (check below). Obivously I do not use 10 gbs+ a day, so someone is doing it. I suspected that someone is using my internet so I checked, but it only showed all the devices that I know connected to it (basically no outside unknown devices connected).

I need help on what to do! It annoys me knowing that someone or something is using up my monthly data. Also literally unplayable in any online game. Please help!

usage.png

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: High Latency Spikes

Shameless bump?

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Anonymous,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

That is a lot of usage to be having on a daily basis and if this usage is being accumulated when you are gaming then it would be the reason for the latency issues that you are having. These amounts of usage would have to come from some kind of streaming or downloading with one of the devices connected. Do any of the devices use the Foxtel Go app or spend a lot of time accessing YouTube for videos?

If you were to access your My BigPond account online then you will get a breakdown of the usage into downloads, uploads and unmetered. Might give you a more accurate way to locate what can be the cause of the usage. Once I had a family member staying with us and the didn't limit uploads when peer to peer sharing and cost me 120 GB in a 4 day period Smiley Sad This can be accessed with your primary BigPond username and password at:

https://signon.bigpond.com/login?goto=https://my.bigpond.com/mybigpond/default.do?ref=Net-Header2-My...

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Anonymous

Hi, thank you for replying! I just checked the break down and the majority of the usages are from Downloads. I have checked with everyone I know that is connected to the network and no one downloads that much everyday. However, I do see that an unknown device(s) keeps connecting the my modem wirelessly. Everytime I delete this device, it comes back either immediately or after a few seconds. I suspect this 'unknown' device is the source of all of this.

Here is a screenshot. (It's outlined with red)
unknowns.png

Anonymous

Bump again?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now