CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Halla
Level 2: Rookie

High data usage

Answered

Hi all,

I've only joined Telstra last week and logged onto my Telstra account for the first time yesterday...and recieved a shock. Within 5 days, we've used 130 GB of our 200Gb package! Is this even possible?

I have 3 teenagers, but two of them were not at home on Saturday and on Friday, all 3 were at school. That leaves us with Wednesday evening, when I've set up my T-Gateway,  Thursday and Sunday. I've checked with my teenagers and they've watched YouTube videos and downloaded about 10 songs. Rest of the time, FaceBook, WhatsApp and SnapChat.

With my previous provider, my max usage in 2 years, was 120 Gb. I did call Telstra, but they said that that is what we used - nothing they can do about it.

Is there any way that I can check what the data was used on? Or by who?

Your assistance will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: High data usage

No they certainly shouldn't if you've got named/known PC's. Sounds like you might need to organise a change of access password, AND make sure that the teens don't share it around.

Sig 2

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19

Halla, first off I'd delete this post/thread and start again, there's something very wrong with it, see pics below, this is the way it's showing up. Try again!

Sig 2

wrong1.png

wrong2.png

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Halla

Oh my word! Clearly I'm new! Wonder how this happened. Jeff, can you please let me know how to delete it?

Thank you

No worries, one of the mods would if they were around but you can, options top right of the post, as per pic below

Sig 2

delete.png

Halla

Thank you Jeff. Edited successfully .... I hope :-)
Jeff-G
Level 6: Bloodhound

Halla,

Without giving too many secrets away, you might want to check how the kids are downloading the songs. If via a torrent program maybe the program you are using is continually uploading the files and as Bigpond includes uploads in your data allowance it could be a cause of the problem.
Jeff-G

Deanja, just need you to edit yours now to clean up topic ... Smiley Happy

That's something I was thinking too Jeff-G, also, people underestimate the amount you tube chews up! 10 you tubes could be hours of video and loads of data.

Sig 2

Jeff-G

Depending on how many they are watching but most will be 2Gb or under... I have 2 kids watching YouTube and iview everyday and only use about 60Gb a month.
Halla

She used YouTube to MP3 - I googled it ... it's legal :-) and switches off her laptop at night. As for YouTube videos - how many do you have to watch to use 130 Gb of data? I'm no expert - as you've noticed :-), but based on previous usage in past 2 years, we never exceeded 130Gb. Just doesnt sound right to me :-(

When I log onto my T-gateway and go to Wi-Fi, I note that there are Unknown PCs on there? Three of them. All our devices are named and I can see those on there as well. Should they be there?

Accepted Solution

No they certainly shouldn't if you've got named/known PC's. Sounds like you might need to organise a change of access password, AND make sure that the teens don't share it around.

Sig 2

Halla

Thank you all. I've spent some time changing passwords and adding devices one at a time. Unknown PCs disappeared and I will keep an eye on my data usage.
Cyber_Mac

hi

just throwing it out there, its extremely easy to use 130gigs in 5 days, at times i've been known to hit 250gigs in a 24 hour period. i've been seeing HD youtubes at 4.1 gigs for an hour.  on average they are much less than that, but there is quiet alot of them out there that are very large.

it does how ever sound like you may have had some local free loaders using your connection. if you had unknown pcs on the network this is prob the most likely cause.

just a tip, take your 8 digit password and enter it in twice to make it 16 digits. this will make it 2 or 3 times longer to get in and the avg joe should just move on. the longer the password the longer it takes to crack it.

always keep an eye on your usage, the telstra system isn't very accurate at the best of times. uploads and downloads count towards our bandwidth usage.

the easiest way i can think of to check for free loaders is to use a program called FING, i use it on my mobile phone connected over the wifi. every time i feel like it i just run it and see what computers are connected to my network. it does help if you know the names of all the computers that are ment to be on the network and if you see something strange, simply turn off your modem for 15 - 20 min change your password and they should have moved on. changing your passwords every 2 - 3 months is always helpful.

kelstarrr

Hi i have had the exact same problem. I was on 200Gb Telstra consultant called an said as i only use on avg 40Gb to save $ change to 50Gb i opted for100GB just to be sure. In the 1st 7 days i had used over 50GB after 6 months of trying to figure this out and countless hours on the phone to Telstra and now avaeraging 70GB in14 days they still keep telling me its my usage and i know its not, i have changed passwords for the WIFI and have now resorted to switching the WIFI off at the power but still manage to use loads of data. Have now got it escalated yet again and they are trying to get me to upgrade at an extra cost to 200Gb which i tend to think will still not reolve the issue.

Jeff-G

Hello kelstarr,

Can I ask what you have connected to your network and if any of these items are new purchases since downgrading your cap.

These days with PC's, Phones, TV's, game consoles etc all having in built wifi/network ports and with updates of operating systems/apps/games all taking place sometimes we don't realise how much data is being used.

This shouldn't add upto 50Gb in 7 days, but depending on other usage (refer above) it might come close.

- Jeff

Dougscol

Hi..I have a similar issue ... Have averaged 50gb - 60gb per month forever. I've been with Bigpond for years maximum was 65 one month. Two months ago the day after my new billing cycle change my usage go ballistic and consumes 50 gb in 5 days. Telstra investigate and after not accepting the answer from Telstra that I needed a bigger plan I found a Telstra
Techno who said this is strange factory reset modem. Usage back to normal for 3 days then off it goes again. Telstra blame modem... Out of plan so try to sell me new modem or new plan. No thanks. I install old Telstra modem . Turning on security again .. Mac filtering as well ... New password. All good for 2 - 3 days then off it goes again ... Set new record of 17gb from 8 pm to 8am Sunday. Telstra still insist I'm using the data. I've turned off my modem every night when I go to bed. For the last week I've been averaging 400 mb to 1 gb per day. Telstra still not help ful
RoadRunner007
Level 1: Cadet

Interesting as I have been hitting the limit for last 2 months. Last night we switched off the modem and still off. However the bigpond usage shows I have used 6gb today so far. I am on my mobile via voda 3gb so haven't used the home modem since 10pm last night and its 9.45am and usage so far for 31st oct is 6gb.
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

G,day I have same problem and no child to download music or giving password to any friends. we using the data 3 adults one of us have 1 years old child to look after one of us doing gardening some house duty and me cooking baking washing cleaning and using computer 200 gb suddenly used in 12 days and in pannic we changed our plane to 500gbs but seems never be enough because still our data usage are so high??? I do not think 500 gbs enough for us! I changed few days ago new modem replaced my 7 years old modem thought may cause that but nothing changed! We never ever used such much in our internet life. Still we doing same thing we done before and if I contact Telstra they still keep telling me its my usage and I am sure it is not mines and can't be somebody elses I am 15 years telstra costumar and 7 years cable costumer I should be know what we are using!

No! 500GB not resolved my issue in 3 days we used 83.42 GB = 83420MBs if so! never enough end of the month the 500GB huge data ;(

Charlie9

Hi all,

I am having the same issue. When we were with optus we never went over the usage limit with similar broadband plan. With Telstra it is ridiculous, 20GB for no reason in a single day. Is there any way to cancel my Telstra account and not have to pay the extra charges. I think it's daylight robbery.
eisfam

PROBLEM SOLVED.

We also had this problem and, like many other people, had called Telstra with no solution to the problem even though we escalated it and we were becoming increasingly convinced that it was a Telstra conspiracy. However, all you need to do is clean up your computer. The problem seems to start when you either change your modem or your plan, for some reason.

Firstly you need to check that there aren't any unknown or unnamed computers on your network and if there are, then you need to change your password.

You then need to make sure bit-torrents isn't running in the background on any of your computers - this is most likely happening if any of the computers in your house have downloaded movies. This is the technology used for these particular downloads and essentially turns your computer into a distributor of movies - particularly if you have a high speed modem. This becomes a real issue because in effect under the new laws you could be caught for distributing illegal movies, particularly if any of the movies you have downloaded are not from a legitimate source - even though you didn't know anything about it. We didn't have this problem under our old plan and old modem, however as soon as we changed, this became an issue.

Then you need to clean up all the Malware and Viruses on your computer. This was our main problem. These get put on when you are offered free tool bars, free media viewers, etc. Beware, NOTHING IS FREE.

We had a computer man come in and use four different malware and antivirus programs and get rid of all the junk.

He then suggested we install the following as he had had good results with them. Set them to run every couple of days automatically:

AVIRA Anti Virus Pro (3 license as we have 3 computers)

MALWARE BYTES Anti Malware Home Premium (also 3 license as we have 3 computers)

Of course if you don't have 3 computers just buy a single license.

The programs are both very cheap from here:

(Link Removed)

Once we did this our problem was solved. No more ridiculous usage (like 37GB in one day when no-one was home)!!

We are back to our usual 2-3GB per day and that includes my son looking at many youtube videos per day and gaming as well.

I hope this helps you and everyone else out there with the problem.

Helen

Moderation: removed link to third party site

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now