Highlighted
MKOA
Level 2: Rookie

Home Broadband Bandwidth EXTREMELY Poor

Answered

Hi,

I have been a bigpond customer for many years now and have had my current connection for the past 3 years with no issues (Springfield Lakes, Qld, 4300).  Over the past month or two i have been experiencing very poor Network Bandwidth within my home.

Nothing has changed in the terms of adding devices that may increase interference or the positioning of the Modem itself.  I am subscribed for the Elite package giving me 20Mbps (Down) / 10Mbps (Up).

I am an internet gamer and have always been able to do this no matter what time of day and no matter what my wife is doing in the background (ie, IPad / Phone / Facebook, and so on), but now if my wife or daughter even send a message on facebook or access the Internet on another device I lag up completely and all devices basically crash or come very close to it.  Here is my Data which is exactly the same If the Phone is connected to the splitter or not.

DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 0:14:34
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:384 / 8,032
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]:403.90 / 2.06
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.1 / 19.8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:23.5 / 34.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:20.0 / 10.4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / GSPN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):5 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 168
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 7
HEC Errors (Up/Down):- / 30

I dont know much about these setting and i know that DSL bandwidth drops the further you are away from the exchange, but am under the understanding I am fairly close to an exchange out here.

I have spoken with Telstra support several times who advise me that my connection is Excellent, and at this current moment they are sending me a newer Modem they claim will solve the issue.  The modem i am currently running is TG587n V3 with what i can find is the current firmware, and the Modem they are sending me is now the TG797n V3.

Can anyone explain this a little more and if they feel that this will RE-improve my situation, remember i have run this modem for 2+ years now with no issues prior to this.

Many thanks in advance.

MKOA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MKOA
Accepted Solution

Re: Home Broadband Bandwidth EXTREMELY Poor

Dave,

As I explained earlier i am no expert in Bandwidth, but based on what i am being told as to the MAX speeds of the plan i have is 10,000 Up / 20,000 Down.

I know this is never achieved and there are many variables at play that determine the "actual Speeds" that each connection gets and how they can vary from house to house, and based on this do not have unrealistic expectations of the speeds i expect.

As you have confirmed above earlier atleast my understanding of speeds is correct and with that said, my understanding is the Max is 10Mbps / 20 Mbps based on the info i have (Again not expecting these speeds, but is the base of what people are told are the speeds for my plan by the Telstra Staff).  I do understand what your telling me but would that not make what i am being told "Incorrect Information" and should i not be getting told......

1,000 Up (1Mbps) / 20,000 Down (20Mbps).

I do not understand why Telstra continue to tell me my plan is 10,000 / 20,000 (Max).

Re-Education of their staff is obviously required.......

Based on the call lastnight i do expect to see much higher speeds tonight when i get home from work, and again thank you Dave for Educating me a bit more each visit.

Best Regards

MKOA

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 23: Superhero

I'd agree with support. You're line profiles download is running at nearly the max.. You have to remember the fee you're paying for is an upto 20Mb/s speed.

Your profile ITU G.992.1 ADSL (G.dmt) (download)8.0 Mbit/s (upload)1.3 Mbit/s

Replacing the modem mmmm I think that's the white flag approach as that won't change the speed to the exchange, it might however improve your internal network.

Cheers,
Dave

MKOA

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.  Can you explain where you get the 1.3 from for the Upload.  I see 300 odd for the Upload, but wouldnt that need to be 1300 odd for 1.3 Mbps ??

Sorry mate. I understand computers a bit but not the networking side of things ?

Sorry yes your understanding about speed is correct. I was just explaining what your current profile on your line supports.

As for your network issues.. I assume you've do the whole disconnect thing then tested the network with individual devices? Do they return a similar result?

Cheers,
Dave

MKOA

Hi All,

I wanted to bring to the attention of anyone having issues like mine.  I have spoken with Telstra again tonight and have finally found out why my Bandwidth is not as it should be after numerous calls and many painful hours of trying to diagnose my issue.

When i made this connection i signed up for ADSL2+ approx 2.5 years ago.  My account on Bigpond.com has shown this to be the case the entire time and every time i have spoken with Telstra and confirmed my speeds as ADSL2+ (10Mbps Up / 20Mbps Down) they have confirmed this.

Well tonight i have been advised after installing and being charged for an upgraded modem that while my account says ADSL2+ and again this has been confirmed many times over the phone, the actual programming for my connection from the exchange is only ADSL1.

************** My Suggestion to EVERYONE having similar issues with Telstra is *****************

Check the actual programming of your connection becuase your account might say ADSL2+ which they will confirm on the phone, but it could be this is not the case. (Not saying everyones issue is like this but hey)

I am extremely unhappy with Telstra and if i am not offered compensation for this redicualous messup will be going to the Telecommunications Ombudsman for further action.

I must say that the majority of people i have spoken to at Telstra have come across as helpful and polite, but does not change i not been getting what i have been led to believe.  While this issue has been more of a problem of late it does explain the fact I have NEVER had internet as fast as I signed up for, and my lack of understanding before now of the workings of bandwidth has left me the fool for a long time.  Telstra is now upgrading my programming tomorrow and should be done by no later than 9pm so i am told.

Many thanks to Dave for trying to help me solve a problem on connection speeds i NEVER had to begin with.

Thanks for your update.

I think there is still some confusion. I did state that your line profile was only ADSL (max 8Mb/s). Also I'm not sure where you're getting this 10Mb/s from as the max achievable upload is 1 odd Mb/s. Still hopefully after your upgrade your download should hover around 12Mb/s which will be a good jump. I do hope your phone line can handle it.

Again thanks for reporting back and I wish you luck Smiley Wink

Cheers,
Dave

MKOA
Accepted Solution

Dave,

As I explained earlier i am no expert in Bandwidth, but based on what i am being told as to the MAX speeds of the plan i have is 10,000 Up / 20,000 Down.

I know this is never achieved and there are many variables at play that determine the "actual Speeds" that each connection gets and how they can vary from house to house, and based on this do not have unrealistic expectations of the speeds i expect.

As you have confirmed above earlier atleast my understanding of speeds is correct and with that said, my understanding is the Max is 10Mbps / 20 Mbps based on the info i have (Again not expecting these speeds, but is the base of what people are told are the speeds for my plan by the Telstra Staff).  I do understand what your telling me but would that not make what i am being told "Incorrect Information" and should i not be getting told......

1,000 Up (1Mbps) / 20,000 Down (20Mbps).

I do not understand why Telstra continue to tell me my plan is 10,000 / 20,000 (Max).

Re-Education of their staff is obviously required.......

Based on the call lastnight i do expect to see much higher speeds tonight when i get home from work, and again thank you Dave for Educating me a bit more each visit.

Best Regards

MKOA

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more