Highlighted
lisajr
Level 1: Cadet

Home Broadband Free Top Up

Answered

Does anyone know how to find if the free home broadband top up has been activated??  We were half way through our usage for the month and received an email telling us we were entitled to 3 free top ups per year and as I had never used this I decided to take them up on it.

Spoke to Telstra via live chat and was told it had been activated.  I could see no sign of this in "My Account" anywhere so emailed and was told to check "My Account" as it had definately been activated. Searched high and low and could not see any indication of any extra allowance.  Long story short I did follow this up another 2 times and was told the same thing.

Today, 4 days out from the end of the month and I have received an email telling me that our sevice has been slowed as we have gone over our allowed usage of 100GB. I logged in, went to "My Account" added up the usage for every single day since the start of the month and it comes to 100554MB.  

I am so annoyed and wondering if this so called free top up even exists!  Has anyone received it and if so where do you see evidence of it being added to your account?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Home Broadband Free Top Up

If you are a Cable, ADSL, Velocity or NBN customer on a plan/bundle and are look to activate Home Broadband Three for Free Data Top-Up:

You can request a top-up in the following ways:

You can find more information about Home Broadband Three for Free Data Top-Up:

http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Manage/Home-Broadband-Three-for-Free-Data-Top-Up/ta-p/398489

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
gm2540

It exists. Ive used it and will use all 3 for sure. 

Did you expect smooth service from Telstra? 

Telstra is pig latin for Patience. 

lisajr

Didn't expect good/fast service from Telstra!  Did think that after 2 live chats and 2 emails that I must be crazy though! Did it show up as part of your allowance in "My Account"?  That's what they tell me however it didn't show on ours.

Level 20: Director

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the top-up is for when you hit your allowance, get slowed, then you top-up?? How much is it supposed to top-up by?

Found this info here: http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2014/05/15/giving-our-broadband-customers-peace-of-mind/

Each Home Broadband Data Top-Up gives the customer 100 per cent of their allowance back – effectively doubling their data. So if a customer is on a on a 100GB plan and they hit their data allowance for the month they will get another 100GB to use for the remainder of their billing cycle with each Top-Up! It’s that simple to get up to speed again with Telstra.

Also see here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Top-ups-our-new-solution-when-you-ve-exceede...

This means that any Telstra fixed broadband customer who has exceeded their data allowance, will be able to request their service is "topped up" to receive an additional 100% of their monthly download quota. This is able to be requested up to three times in a calendar year.

Seems to me your supposed to request it if your service has slowed due to reaching your usage limit. Requesting beforehand defeats the whole point of the top-up. Maybe they should call it a "speed-ip"? Smiley Happy

Cheers!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

If you are a Cable, ADSL, Velocity or NBN customer on a plan/bundle and are look to activate Home Broadband Three for Free Data Top-Up:

You can request a top-up in the following ways:

You can find more information about Home Broadband Three for Free Data Top-Up:

http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Manage/Home-Broadband-Three-for-Free-Data-Top-Up/ta-p/398489

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

skilly1

I am on a 200GB monthly plan. I understand that there can be 3 top ups during a year, but generally the only time you would use this is if you are running into trouble at the end of a month, then you get 100% top up of which you probably do not access 80% of the top up as your new billing cycle kicks in.

I would like to recommend that Telsta considers the following alternative approach to top ups. The plan, in my case essentially offers an top up allowance of 600GB of availiable bandwidth. Why not allow users to dip into their top up allowance at anytime i.e. chunks of 10GB/20GB/30GB at a time. This allows users to better manage their account as when they are running low, but not not blow away 1/3 of their top up allowance at one go. Less people would land up going into low bandwidth speeds just before the billing cycle ends, which in my household causes choas for 2-3 days before the new billing cycle starts again.

it would be much appreciated if Telstra could consider this alternate arrangement to its existing plans   

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Skilly1,

Thanks for letting us know about your idea with Data top ups. You can post your idea here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Ideas/idb-p/Idea_Exchange_Telstra_Consumer and we will have a look at it and see what can be done

jockrg

I've got the same problem.  Tried today 3 times to top up but nothing has happened.  My account still tells me I'm nearly out of internet and I'm still getting emails warning me that I'm about to get slowed down.

ill keep trying.  Tried the 24/7 assist chat but that's a joke.  Nothing happens at all.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @jockrg,

If you have tried to top up your service without luck there may be a stuck order still provisioning on your account. The way to get this resolved would be to speak to our Billing team on either 132200 or Live Chat:

http://tel.st/49kl

chrissy63

GOOD OLD TELSTRA, THE LIVE CHAT METHOD IS VERY UNREALIABLE, THEY GIVE OUT THE INCORRECT INFORMATION & THEN TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT THEY HAVE SAID.

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP A COPY OF THE TRANSCRIPT IF YOU USE LIVE CHAT 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now