Highlighted
tac1616
Level 2: Rookie

Home Broadband/Internet working BUT Apple Mail won't access Gmail/Yahoo

Answered

Hi there,

I have the same problem with Wormmo, AlfieNawkes and others, which I cannot find a solution and was kicked around by 24x7 Chat and T-Shop...

My problem is exactly same in the Crownsupport earlier:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Mac-Mail-will-not-access-Gmail-Imap-using-Tels...

My home broadband (cable) was working fine in the past 2+ years until Telstra did some sort of internet service maintennce at my area on 12-09-2015 23:30 to 13-09-2015 07:30.

http://servicestatus.bigpond.com/servicestatus/goc.do?q=postcode_6155.html&postcode=6155

Home router is Telstra Netgear Cable Home Network Gateway CG3100D-2BPAUS.

After the Telstra internet service was restored, my nightmare started

1. I can access Gmail / Yahoo / Hotmail / iCloud using SAFARI but not when using Apple Mail (1 iPad & 3 mac)

BUT when I am connected to Mobile Broadband 4G (Optus), everything is working as before (without changing anything), either with Safari or Apple Mail

2. My kids cannot use games such as Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, Jurassic Park in iPad

BUT when I am connected to Mobile Broadband 4G (Optus), everything is working as before 

I used the Mac Connection Doctor, it showed that my email accounts:

"Could not connect to this XX server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information into the account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect the 'Use SSL' checkbbox in the advanced tab of the account preferences".

The mailboxes in Apple Mail continue to show the same error message, indicating the accounts are offline.

The best part is my home broadband is working and my internet browser is working in all devices (tablets/phone/mac).

Because when I checked my broadband by Telstra online checker/tool (as well as checked by Telstra 24x7), it is "working successfully". Everyone told me it is my problem (can be Apple or Google or Yahoo), but nothing to do with Telstra.

I also unplug my cable and reset my Netgear countless times, I am still having same problem. It is a nightmare!

Can anyone help, any magic advise?

Thank you.

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Home Broadband/Internet working BUT Apple Mail won't access Gmail/Yahoo

If you have had this service for over 2 years, you will modem will most likely be outside the maintenance contract. So a replacement would need to be purchased. Before you do though ... 

Sometimes the modem doesn't restore to factory default settings on the first try. So once the modem has finished restarting, hold in the reset button until all of the lights on the front of the modem flash once at the same time.

Wait until the modem completes the restart and you should be able to connect the same as before with your LAN ports. If not, please contact Accounts on 13 22 00 or via Live Chat http://tel.st/hsc3 so that they can organise a new modem for you.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tac1616,

Strange issue you are facing there. 

Was an escalation lodged when you had a chat with our 24x7 team? 

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

tac1616

Thanks, Matt. I don't know if it was logged, the 1st Chat asked me to unplug and reset the router. Lost connection after unplug, it didn't work anyway after I unplug and reset.

The 2nd Chat said it was my email setting problem. But all my devices and setting work as normal once I switched to 4G or used my friend's home broadband elsewhere.

Matt, I don't think this is an isolated problem, it not just happended me alone, as I tagged the same issue from the Crowd in the past months:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Mac-Mail-will-not-access-Gmail-Imap-using-Tels...

Please see what you can do to help.

Thanks!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tac1616,

Have you tried all of the fixes suggested by The Crowd?

I would be interested to know if the steps described by GrahamT1973 resolves this issue.

- Shelly

tac1616

Hi Shelly,

I have tried it, but it doesn't work for my case.

I don't have another router/modem to bridge the Telstra Netgear, should I be doing that? I hope Telstra can solve my problem and make things back to how they have been with Telstra cable.

I have tried my devices/emails/apps/games at other home broadbands, at office, and other networks, and other mobile 4G, everything works perfectly as Telstra Cable before this incident. So I don't think there are any problems with my devices or settings.

Could it be something to do with the Telstra modem/router? I guess the biggest problem being my internet/brower is working while others don't, otherwise, it would have been either Telstra network or Telstra equipment problems.

I can't help but to reseach another network providers (I would settle with even for ADSL) depsites loving my Telstra cable so much in the last 2 years, not a single problem until now...was an extreme happy customer once Smiley Sad

Please assit if you can, thank you!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tac1616,

I have raised this as an issue with the team that manages the modems. They will try to replicate this issue and if successful, will refer to to Netgear for a fix. Unfortunately this process can take several months before a fix is available, provided that we can replicate this in a test environment.

Bridging the modem to a BYO router is one option. As you have the CG3100D-2, another option would be to upgrade the modem to the Telstra Gateway max or Netgear C6300 which would be discussed with the Accounts team on 13 22 00 or via Live Chat http://tel.st/hsc3

The Accounts team can also discuss changes to the type of internet service that you have.

- Shelly

tac1616

Hi Shelly,

FYI, I switched my Netgear CG3100D-2 to "Bridge Mode" or NAT - Disable, I still have the WiFi from Netgear but I lost all the LAN ports, therefore was unable to connect to any router to the Netgear.

Surprisingly, when I am in Bridge Mode with WiFi, my older Macbook Pro, iPad 4 and my Samsung Phones work like before (as if nothing had happended)...

BUT my TV, DVD Players, Streaming Devices, Mac Mini, Macbook Air and Android Phone connections were lost, because LAN ports are down (meaning they can't connect to Netgear directly) and I also can't connect with their WiFi. Particularly, the Macbook Air were ok on 1 day in between but not anymore now. Secondly, if I put my Samsung Phone on Bluetooth Hotspot, I can connect my other phone to it and is working perfectly via its Bluetooth. Weird but true!

Changing back to the NAT, I have same problems as before.

May be I have not done it correctly in Bridge Mode?! Should I also disable the WiFi Access? If I were to diable the WIFI Access in Bridge Mode, I am concern that I might have no connection at all because I don't have the LAN ports in Bridge Mode??

Very much appreciated if you can give me some hints or link me to some step-by-step guides/forum to set Bridge Mode correctly? My be I connect to the wrong ports?

Can you also suggest a good and easy BYO Router? That I can connect to my bridge mode Netgear.

Thank you!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Tac1616

Strange. When you disable NAT and restart the modem, you could be able to connect by a device connected directly to the Netgear modem. Any BYO router should work, however I have seen once case where it  needed to remain connected and turned on for some time before it was able to access the internet. That was also using a different model of Netgear Cable router.

It wouldn't hurt to also disable the WiFi network. If you can't access the modem once the WiFi is disabled, you can return the modem back to the factory default settings by holding in the reset button for approximately 10 seconds or until all of the lights flash at the same time.

- Shelly

tac1616

Hi Shelly,

I did per your suggestions.

Now, all the Netgear LAN ports don't work whether in NAT or Bridge modes Smiley Sad

Some updats,

1. In NAT enable, no device can connect to the Netgear successfully.

2. In Bridges mode, only my older Macbook and Samsung Phones are able to connect. Now the iPad is also lost now. I have little discovery in Bridge Mode:

My old Macbook can connect to the Bridge Mode WIFI automatically, the settings in the TCP/IP are:

Configure IPv4: Using DHCP

IPv4 Address: 60.224.129.120

Subnet Mask: 255.255.224.0

Router: 60.224.128.1

The other devices are giving me, "WIFI has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.238.12 (or 169.254.7.209, 169.254.xxx.xxx, etc) and will not be able to connect o the internet". The Subnet Mask is always on 255.255.0.0 and no Router acddress. So, I tried to switch to "Manually" by assigning similar 60.224.xxx.xxx addresses, I can get WIFI connection, but I cannot get to Internet.

Wish to seek your advice:

1. Could it be some kind of "problems" with my Netgear? Been 2+ years. Without the LAN ports in working, I won't be able to connect a BYO Router anyway. Telstra staffs have been reporting to me that my Internet is working as they have tested, therefore nothing wrong with modem, and hence it is always me! I can't even talk about changing/upgrading the Modem.

2. Why some devices are able to "find" working addreeses automatically, while some devices can't? Anything I can do there? To stop these self-assigned IP??

So far, Shelly, you are the only one still trying to give some suggestions, please...I am desperate!

Thank you.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

If you have had this service for over 2 years, you will modem will most likely be outside the maintenance contract. So a replacement would need to be purchased. Before you do though ... 

Sometimes the modem doesn't restore to factory default settings on the first try. So once the modem has finished restarting, hold in the reset button until all of the lights on the front of the modem flash once at the same time.

Wait until the modem completes the restart and you should be able to connect the same as before with your LAN ports. If not, please contact Accounts on 13 22 00 or via Live Chat http://tel.st/hsc3 so that they can organise a new modem for you.

- Shelly

tac1616

Thank you, Shelly.

Yes, resetting to factory setting couples of times too...after that, logged into the modem and could see the settings went back to its original, but ports are still not working in either modes.

I took your advice, have just placed an order for Netgear C6300 with Telstra...fingers crossed!

Appreciate your patient and guidiance! Will keep you posted after I plug in the new C6300.

Thank you!

tac1616

Hi Shelly,

Finally, after changing to Netgear C6300, everything is working as before! Digital life goes back to normal Smiley Happy

Thank you very much!

Regards,

tac

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more