Highlighted
AF1
Level 1: Cadet

Home Internet keeps disconnecting

Answered

I live in the Glenmore Park area in Western Sydney and during the past two days my home inrenet keeping diconnecting. I have experienced this problem before but its gotten to the stage where it will drop out every 5 -10 mins.

I have gone onto the servie status page and there was no scheduled outages for my area.

I have tried resetting the modeming by turning it on and off but this morning the internet kept diconnecting.

The modem I currently have is a Technicolor TG587n v3.

Any other tips I should try to see where the problem lies?

Also I'm not the most tech savy

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Home Internet keeps disconnecting

Hi AF1

First step is run the modem in isolation, heres more on how to do this : http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

Once this is done and if the problem is still there, we can safely assume that there is a fault on the line. IF this is the case, feel free to message me your details and I can get a fault lodged for you.

- Jon

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi AF1

We'll ask our Tech Team to take a look at your post, and see what they recommend :-)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi AF1

First step is run the modem in isolation, heres more on how to do this : http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

Once this is done and if the problem is still there, we can safely assume that there is a fault on the line. IF this is the case, feel free to message me your details and I can get a fault lodged for you.

- Jon

ntperkins
Level 1: Cadet

Did any of this work. I have a cable broadband service and this does the same thing. We have recently upgraded the modem to the new super speed one and am getting (when working) downloads of over 100 (using Speedtest) and uploads of about 2.5. But it seems to be dropping out on a regular basis. say every 5-10 minutes obviously not ideal esp as my wife is at home trying to download some software and trial a cloud sevice. Is there anyway of monitoring on a regular baiss the speed to see if there is a patern ?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ntperkins,

I apologise for the delayed response, hopefully you have already had this issue resolved.

The information that Jon provided is for an ADSL service. As you have a Cable service, I would advise that you try the following steps:

1. Disconnect the modem and leave it turned off for at least  15 minutes. This will force the modem to renegotiate the connection in a way that a simple restart will not, and disconnecting and connecting the coaxial cables can help to clean the connectors. If you have Foxtel and use a splitter, I would suggest trying to test with only the modem connected and the splitter removed to see if this resolves the issue.

2. If the disconnections continue, check that you are not over-utilising the upload bandwidth, this can severely impact the download speeds as well as cause the modem to restart.  If you do use a file sharing program, I would suggest adjusting the settings within it to limit the upload bandwidth to 80% of the max upload speed which is 2 Mbps for customers with a speed boost.

3. If the problem continues, then it is possible that there is an issue within the network. You will need to contact Tech Support on 133 933 so that this can be tested and a technician organised to investigate further.

- Shelly

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now