CrowdSupport®
Mobitron
Level 1: Cadet

Home NBN maximum line rate.

Hi all, I have been experiencing an upload rate issue of 0.5mbps upload and various speeds downloads1.JPG from 20-40 mbps  Download is fine, its just the less than 1 mbps upload.

are these figures my actual line speeds or are these figures set by telstra/nbnco?

I have tried every which way to check the lines, I did have a second line connected but thats been taken off, so its just a line from the street to the modem, no other connections.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Home NBN maximum line rate.

The low upload speed is due to any speed limiting set by Telstra or NBN CO. It is due to a problem with the FTTN link. Are you supposed to be on the 25/5 speed tier or the 50/20 speed tier. It looks like the you are on 25/5 speed tier but the upload speed is being limited by the link.

Judging by your line attenuation figures the maximum speed of the link should be much higher but it looks like a noise profile might have been applied to your line. Do you have any problem with the connection dropping out?

Mobitron

I have had many calls to and from India, Its getting harder to understand what is said sometimes.

Connection issues, no, it stays up 90 % of the time, probably higher, I usually get a message that the smart modem has switched to mobile, so I haven't had any of those lately. I'm just wondering if the up speed might have had the decimal point changed accidentally, 0,5 instead it should be 5.0.

On wednesday I will have a tech come and hook a line straight from the telstra side of the cable straight to my router bypassing my house cable, to see once and for all if my cable is faulty, so I hopefully will stop being told its my cable issue. Well one minute they tell me the problem is from the node to my house, next its my house cable... so bring on wednesday.

I don't think they misplaced the decimal point and accidentally limited the download speed to 0.5 Mbps instead of 5 Mbps. After rereading your first post I think you are on the 50/20 NBN tier. If you were on the 25/5 NBN tier you would never be able to achieve a download speed of 40 Mbps.

The connection should stay up 100% of the time. It looks like NBN CO rather than fix the fault has applied a noise profile to your line which why both the upload and download speed are much lower than they should for the line attenuation. I agree with you the fault is probably in the street cable. Most likely a faulty termination in the street cabling causing an intermittent fault.

I noticed in your previous post that the link had only been up for 2 minutes 40 seconds is this because the modem had just been rebooted or had just recovered from a drop in the connection?

Mobitron

Well bugger me, after having my house line replaced ... Did NOT fix the issue.
Telstra guys came out had to eat their words telling me I had to renew the line.
The changed my Port in one of those silver things on the footpath and fixed it... So if any of you have this problem, get them to try that.
Thanks everyone.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit