Highlighted
macstructure
Level 3: Gumshoe

Home broadband/Modem not letting me send/receive emails on Outlook or iPhone

Answered

My Home Broadband/Modem is not letting me send/receive emails on Outlook or mail app on my iPhone.

My hotmail will work but not Gmail or 3rd Party domain.

I know it has something to do with my broadband/modem because if I use my phone's 4G (either direct on my phone or if I hotspot my laptop to phone 4G) it will work, or if I connect my phone/laptop to another wifi connection e.g. at my work, at another house, it works. The modem I use is the Netgear Gateway CG3100D-2

I called Telstra and sat on the phone for over an hour last week trying to sort it out, got to the point where they said they had logged it and would call back. I have not received a call back.

The below thread seems to show similar issues but it has been closed.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/New-modem-Cannot-Get-Mail/td-p/311533

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Technical Support
Technical Support
Accepted Solution

Re: Home broadband/Modem not letting me send/receive emails on Outlook or iPhone

It does sounds like the IP of the bigpond connection has been blocked. Have you tried searching for your current IP on a site such as MXtoolbox here https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

If it is listed there should be options to unlist

You could also try leaving the modem off for at least a few hours (sometimes upto a day) as a Cable connection need some time before it renews an IP address. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

macstructure
Accepted Solution

Re: Home broadband/Modem not letting me send/receive emails on Outlook or iPhone

Success!
IP address came up as blacklisted. Unplugged the modem for 24 hours and restarted as well as factory reset.
Can now send/receive emails from all of my email accounts.
Thanks AlistairQWA
Really poor support from the 133933 tech support phone centre and a very painful month trying to fix it but at least it is sorted for now

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES
Level 23: Superhero

Have you tried factory resetting the modem? The CG3100F modems have a habit of blocking emails and a factory reset normally fixes the problem.

To reset modem
- clicking on the following link: http://192.168.0.1
- logging in with the admin as the username and password
- from the left hand menu click on Set Password and from here you will see the option to restore to factory settings.
See https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Factory-Default-Netgear-CG3100D/m-p/172270
macstructure

I have tried direct from the modem (paper clip into the hole). I will try via the above.
My IT guy spent about 1.5 hours last week trying a lot of things but couldn't get anything to work.
Level 22: Superhuman

Did they give you a TT 1- number as a reference for that call?
If you're after me in particular add "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply and I'll get an email on my watch.

For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:
macstructure

No they didn't, I have called them in the past and received a reference number. But they did not explicitly give me one this time (perhaps I should have asked).

Well whenever troubleshooting is done a trouble ticket is opened. Raising an escaltion to the level 2 team is also done through trouble tickets and generally respond within 3-5 business days
If you're after me in particular add "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply and I'll get an email on my watch.

For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:
macstructure

Did the factory reset via the Netgear Gateway setting page as per above- still no luck.
I have read in the other thread (the link I posted) some people seem to have solved by having Telstra disconnect/reconnect on their end. Others have had to replace their modem.

Have you tried lowering the firewall settings in the CG3100D-2?

macstructure

Okay cheers. They did check my phone number was still correct and it probably hasn't quite been 3-5 business days yet. I'll wait and see if they call back.
macstructure

Firewall features are set to "off"

Untitled.jpg

Technical Support
Technical Support

As the modem has been returned to factory defaults, and the Firewall settings are disabled and no other settings have been configured, The next thing that I would suggest checking is the email configuration settings. Are the incoming & outgoing ports configured for Gmail different to those configured for your Hotmail? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

macstructure

Hotmail is MS Exchange
Both Gmail and my other account are IMAP.

As I said. When I connect to another wifi (eg at work) or to my phone 4G, all emails work. Just not when connected to home broadband wifi

It might be the public IP address of your connection is blacklisted. You could try disconnecting modem overnight and see if that fixes the problem. Cable IP addresses are sticky so it might not change. If WAN address doesn't change get Telstra support to reset your connection.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Cable Assurance FoH would not be able to intentionally force an IP jump.. Much easier to use the bridge/unbridge method (disable wifi on modem, then bridge it, then factory reset it or turn NAT mode back on).

CG3100D's also have been known to do this as well at random and the only solution was a replacement/new modem. Given it would be well out of warranty it wouldn't be replaced for free
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
macstructure

It seems from this thread and others that it is most likely a faulty modem and given I have not heard back from Telstra after being told they acknowledged there is an issue and they would call back, they have put it in the too hard basket.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi macstructure,

I’ve passed this conversation on to our tech team who work between the hours of Monday-Friday 9am-5pm and they will follow this up as soon as they can. Thanks for your patience.

- Tim

macstructure

Hi Tim

Haven't heard from the tech team. How long would it typically take to hear something?
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Hi Macstructure,

Sorry you haven't heard back yet - as it's a public holiday our Crowd Support tech team isn't available today. I recommend following up with our cable faults team on 133933 to discuss this further as it sounds like it may be an issue with the modem itself. 

Let me know how you go with the call.

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

macstructure

Rang the number 133933 on the 27 April and they said they had passed it up to level 2 support and would call back in 1-2 business days. Still haven't heard anything so I'm not sure this level 2 support exists. When I first called over a month ago I was told the same thing and never heard anything. Had to call again and spend another hour explaining the situation and getting passed around different teams until someone finally told me it was being escalated to Level 2.
I have a reference number INT1-1508413358502. My patience is wearing thing thinking it may just be easier and cheaper to cancel all my Telstra internet and phone accounts and go to another provider I've spent too much time and money trying to sort this.
Technical Support
Technical Support
Accepted Solution

It does sounds like the IP of the bigpond connection has been blocked. Have you tried searching for your current IP on a site such as MXtoolbox here https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

If it is listed there should be options to unlist

You could also try leaving the modem off for at least a few hours (sometimes upto a day) as a Cable connection need some time before it renews an IP address. 

- AlistairQWA

macstructure

Thanks- yes it came up as blacklisted.
I will try turning off the modem for a day and see if it renews the IP address
macstructure
Accepted Solution

Success!
IP address came up as blacklisted. Unplugged the modem for 24 hours and restarted as well as factory reset.
Can now send/receive emails from all of my email accounts.
Thanks AlistairQWA
Really poor support from the 133933 tech support phone centre and a very painful month trying to fix it but at least it is sorted for now

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more