Highlighted
gnirotutbbsg
Level 1: Cadet

Home phone on NBN

Answered

Hi,

I connected my 3 yr old telstra cordless dect phone to the NBN modem. The phone works well. I can make and receive calls. However, I notice that the display light of the phone comes on regularly (about every 10 min). It is a set of 4 telephones and all of them have this problem. When the phones were used with a normal landline, the light only came on when the phone was lifted up from the base. 

I have tried a different phone cable but it didn't help.

Anyone knows why?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Home phone on NBN

Hi gnirotutbbsg,

When you have a set of multiple phones its best to leave them synced to their normal base station / dock.

By the sounds of it this may be caused by a non complience from the phone manufacter misinterpereting electrical signals coming from the modem as something it needs to send to the phone, very similar to some people who get "Ghost calls" on the NBN where Uniden phones will ring even though there is no incoming call.

These phones seem to be manufactered by a company called VTech and you may want to look at reporting an industry standard non complience fault to them.

Hope this helps.

1524 - Edit: It might be worth attempting to pair one of your handsets to the modem directly to try to get around this issue. To do this you'd need to de-register one of your handsets (As below) and then regstering your phone to the modem directly by holding the DECT button at the back of the modem until the DECT light on the front changes and then registering your handset within 60 seconds (also below).

To de-register and register your handset, read pages 42 & 43 on http://www.telstrahomephones.com.au/products/CORDLESS/%7B29CC84D8-A889-40A2-AEB2-42700F7690C8%7D/gui...

Take note that the default PIN is 0000.

Lathania

Just an update, I seemed to have fixed a similar issue today if you want to also try it.

- Call Messagebank and process all voicemail - (125101)

- Hit dial (green button) and enter #98# on the handset. You should hear a tone at the end.

Lathania

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Gnirotutbbsg,

I'm unsure of why it is occuring at the moment, so we might need more details. Can you try connecting via DECT? What model phone do you have?

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

gnirotutbbsg

Hi Brodie,

The phone is Telstra 8200/8200a. I think this phone is a DECT phone.

Thank you

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Gnirotutbbsg,

Is this phone setup to connect via the DECT to your NBN modem? I've double checked that it is DECT compatible, but I just need to confirm what settings it is using at the moment.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

gnirotutbbsg

Hi Brodie,

The phone is just plugged into the phone jack of the modem. The user guide says I need to pair the DECT phone with the modem. Is it something I need to do?

Thank you

Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Hi gnirotutbbsg,

When you have a set of multiple phones its best to leave them synced to their normal base station / dock.

By the sounds of it this may be caused by a non complience from the phone manufacter misinterpereting electrical signals coming from the modem as something it needs to send to the phone, very similar to some people who get "Ghost calls" on the NBN where Uniden phones will ring even though there is no incoming call.

These phones seem to be manufactered by a company called VTech and you may want to look at reporting an industry standard non complience fault to them.

Hope this helps.

1524 - Edit: It might be worth attempting to pair one of your handsets to the modem directly to try to get around this issue. To do this you'd need to de-register one of your handsets (As below) and then regstering your phone to the modem directly by holding the DECT button at the back of the modem until the DECT light on the front changes and then registering your handset within 60 seconds (also below).

To de-register and register your handset, read pages 42 & 43 on http://www.telstrahomephones.com.au/products/CORDLESS/%7B29CC84D8-A889-40A2-AEB2-42700F7690C8%7D/gui...

Take note that the default PIN is 0000.

Lathania

Just an update, I seemed to have fixed a similar issue today if you want to also try it.

- Call Messagebank and process all voicemail - (125101)

- Hit dial (green button) and enter #98# on the handset. You should hear a tone at the end.

Lathania

image.jpgWould my uniden phone on base it has premium dect 

model number : dect203598029447

Romi1

I had a similar problem but only my perseverance fixed it.  The telstra /NBN case manager said they can not connect multiple phones to the Telstra Gateway Modem.  Long story short, if you have multiple phone ie: Study room, Kitchen, Bathroom and dowm stairs or any where..   DO NOT fix the phones directly to the Telstra Gateway Modem.  Yes, I know all the documentation says that .  Believe me, DONT follow that instruction !

Instead, connect the telephone first green telephone port of the modem to the telephone wall socket.  The next step is, go to the telstra old street copper cable junction box and totally disconnect the street cable from the house cable.  That is it !

This worked for me, .....   Smiley Happy

Good luck NBN users

RoosterMal

I connected my NBN modem tonight, and no matter what I tried, my Testra DECT 2 phone system was not recognisd by the moden, hence no phone. The only solution I finlly succeeded in was connecting the main unit/answeing machine to one of the old telstra landline connections in my room, and I now have my two phones working. I know I read that you're not supposed to do that, but for now I have internet and phone, so I will talk to Telstra to see what other solution they may suggest.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The phones do not need to be paired directly to the modem to work on NBN. Customers can continue to use the phone sockets in their home if they connect a cable from the phone port on the modem into one of the sockets. This will activate the other telephone sockets in the home.

Alternatively, the base station for the cordless phones can be connected into the first green port on the modem.

- Shelly

TommyTheTankEng
Level 6: Bloodhound

If I have an NBN connection with Telstra do I have to have my home phone with Telstra also? Or can I port my phone number to a different provider - or even have "Naked NBN" (no home phone at all)?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @TommyTheTankEng,

That is a really good question, we don't have plans with just NBN internet, and as far as I know there isn't a way to port over part of your service to another provider, you would either keep both your landline and internet with Telstra, or move them both.

TommyTheTankEng

@thedylan wrote:

Hi @TommyTheTankEng,

That is a really good question, we don't have plans with just NBN internet, and as far as I know there isn't a way to port over part of your service to another provider, you would either keep both your landline and internet with Telstra, or move them both.

Well ... I've found out in another part of this Forum that my current Netgear Telstra cable modem has got a WAN port that I can use to connect to the NBN when the building is provisioned a few months from now via a brand new fibre optic backbone from FTTB. However the modem has no capacity for the phone line. So if I keep that modem, connect it to the NBN and leave my POTS an "orphan", what happens when the copper lines are disconnected? I'm on "Naked NBN" aren't I?

Support Team
Support Team

You can definitely not use the phone service part of your NBN bundle, I don't have a phone handset plugged into my NBN modem. However we don't have a plan where you only get internet over the NBN.

TommyTheTankEng

@thedylan wrote:

You can definitely not use the phone service part of your NBN bundle, I don't have a phone handset plugged into my NBN modem. However we don't have a plan where you only get internet over the NBN.

I'm not interested in whether you have a plan or not; I'm only interested in the technical side of things. Will my copper line-based phone service be disconnected but my FTTB+cabled backbone Internet service remain connected?

Support Team
Support Team

As long as you change over to an NBN Bundle and complete the NBN migration you will be able to remain connected.

TommyTheTankEng

@thedylan wrote:

As long as you change over to an NBN Bundle and complete the NBN migration you will be able to remain connected.

That's an interesting answer because it implies that Telstra doesn't know how I'm connected. If I do a self-migrate from cable to NBN simply by switching from the cable port on my modem to the WAN port on the same modem it's transparent to them???? They don't know what sort of connection I have?

Support Team
Support Team

When you change to NBN you'll be supplied with an NBN box that plugs into your coax cable port in the wall, and then a cable will go from that to the WAN port in your modem. However we would supply you with an NBN modem at that time most likely (I can't speak for the future but that is the case now).

TommyTheTankEng

@thedylan wrote:

When you change to NBN you'll be supplied with an NBN box that plugs into your coax cable port in the wall, and then a cable will go from that to the WAN port in your modem. However we would supply you with an NBN modem at that time most likely (I can't speak for the future but that is the case now).

In another thread a Telstra representative confirmed that if i simply disconnected my cable connection and used an Ethernet cable to connect my WAN port on that same modem to the NBN box I would be connected to the NBN. Therefore I'm not asking about replacement modems etc. etc. I already have the NBN box on the wall of my apartment, I'm just waiting for it to be activated. The other thread I'm referring to is https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/NBN-Connection-to-black-Telstra-Gateway-Max/m... and I'm basing my assumptions on the statement of Telstra ID "kenobi"

So my question is still "Don't Telstra know how I'm connecting to the Internet?" which is the inference of a previous answer from you in this thread

Fivecats

You are lucky your phones work. We have just received NBN in our area and was given a handset phone to operate which then led to our existing phones as being unworkable. Naturally, there is not one bit of information in the kit that was sent to explain what we need to do. Can someone possibly advise. Thanks

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

For how to connect supplied handset see see linking handset to gateway page 11 of the phone manual On the F@st5355 press the pair button instead of the DECT button.

Page 13 of manual shows how to connect existing phones to gateway.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now