CrowdSupport®
DEJ710
Level 1: Cadet

How long should you have to wait for a transfer from one ISP to another? ie. Telstra

We have already organised with our previous ISP to have the service disconnected, as Telstra would not proceed with our new order until this was done. We were also advised that we would not be without our internet service whilst the transfer took place.

This is most definitely not the case and we have been without any internet access since Mon 23/10/2017 @ 12:00AM.

I have been trying to get a straight answer from someone in Telstra about the status of when our order will be completed, but keep getting the runaround and have been told so many different dates by various employees and none of it has been accurate.

It should not be this hard to transfer ISPs!

Why is it taking so long for Telstra to complete this fairly standard request I would have thought?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How long should you have to wait for a transfer from one ISP to another? ie. Telstra

It should normally be a case of ring up Telstra, order a service and they do the rest.

The only time that I know of that this is not the case is if you are on a Naked ADSL service (or occasionally on a service that is connected to another provider's DSLAM at the exchange).

By cancelling your service with the other provider, you were always going to be without service for a period of time (depending on when the cancellation and the install was due to occur).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DEJ710
Level 1: Cadet

Re: How long should you have to wait for a transfer from one ISP to another? ie. Telstra

If I have already had ADSL2 for the last several years with another ISP (Connected via Telstra reseller), why the hell do they need an onsite appointment to re-connect? Surely this is not the case??!!

It would be great if someone from Telstra was able to respond to this.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi DEJ710. 

If only it was that easy. While you may have had an ADSL service with another provider, each ISP has their own speed codes that need to be applied when a service is connected.

A request would need to be sent to your Current provider, to remove their speed codes, and then an order can be placed to add Telstra speed codes to your line. 

Depending on the amount of time since your lines have been checked, there may be a requirement for a Technician to attend your home as well. 

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now