WinthropDC
Level 2: Rookie

How to connect multiple phone numbers to NBN

Background:

Here is my pre NBN configuration:

• Home landline on copper.
  • Office/Fax duet landline on copper.
  • Cable broadband with super speed (100Mbps Down & 2Mbps Up)
  • Monitored Alarm system on Home landline.
  • Phone sockets around house for Home and Office lines.

Because NBN does not support duet lines (two phone numbers on one phone line), I will have to go to a third line for the Fax.

I started the process to migrate to NBN via HFC (Hybrid Fibre Cable) to avoid stress when the copper removal date gets closer and to get faster upload speeds (the promise is 100Mbps Down & 40Mbps Up).

Current State:

It is now over a month since the initial install and this is where I am at:

• I have an NBN Modem on a splitter with my cable modem/router.
  • I have a Telstra Gateway plugged into the NBN Modem and all it is doing is providing the Home phone via NBN.
  • I have had to install a Ness GSM Dialler to keep the alarm system monitored (even when power is lost).
  • I have had additional wiring installed to connect in NBN phones into the existing sockets around the house.
  • That's all foks!!!

To be completed:

I am still waiting on the following:

• Connection of NBN Broadband to replace the Bigpond Cable.
  • Connection of the Office Number via NBN
  • Connection of the Fax Number via NBN
  • Switching the bundled phone number from Office to Home as that is the one that makes the most outgoing calls.

The problem seems to be that no-one can explain how to connect multiple phone numbers to the NBN. Everything seems to be designed for one phone number only.

• Do I need multiple NBN Modems?
  • Do I need multiple Telstra Gateways?
  • Do I need switch between a single NBN Modem and multiple Gateways?
  • How should the connections be made?

I have a complaint lodged with Telstra, but progress has completely stalled.

Please help. Any advice or comments appreciated.

Thanks

David

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 21: Augmented

Re: How to connect multiple phone numbers to NBN

@WinthropDC

firstly your probably talking to the wrong part of Telstra inthe residential area you will probably only be able to get that kind of info/support from Telstra Business.

Heres a guide about what you might hold some interest to you

http://telaustralia.com.au/the-business-phone-blog/what-will-happen-to-our-phone-lines-when-the-nbn-...

basically it is saying you will need

a) ask Telstra for a SIP Trunk Service (as i said probably only available under business or wholesale)

or

b) to move half or all your numbers to a Hosted PBX System.

or both

here is a private hosted PBX system you could look into as well but it will still require getting the SIP TRUNK service organised

https://www.3cx.com/phone-system/download-phone-system/

this mob even have a list of hosted services

https://www.3cx.com/partners/hosted-pbx-providers/australia/

heres another

https://www.cloudpbxphone.systems/hosted-phone-system/Australia-hosted-pbx

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Level 24: Supreme Being

To use multiple phone numbers with NBN you need either a VOIP adapter that plugs into the gateway LAN port or an VOIP phone that plugs into gateway LAN port. If Telstra does not provide additional phone lines over NBN you could port numbers to a third party VOIP provider such as MyNetfone. https://www.mynetfone.com.au/

The fax will not work over a VOIP service so could use a virtual fax service such as https://www.mynetfone.com.au/Residential/virtualfax

Telstra Gateway

VOIP Phone -------------------------------------------LAN Port-

Normal Phone---------VOIP Adapter-------------LAN Port

WinthropDC

Hi cf4

Thanks for responding.

I have tested sending and receiving a fax over the NBN phone line I have connected and it does work. I might change to a service later, but for now I want to keep the setup the same.

David

WinthropDC

Hi cretsiah

Thanks for responding.

Aren't the hosted PBX systems for when a business has multiple phone lines but only uses one incoming number? I see that working well for a big business, but is it really needed for a small home office situation?

I just want my home number, office number and a fax number. I want them going to 3 different locations, we need to know which line is which so they only ring the appropriate phones.

I have spoken to telstra business and their monthly rates are significantly higher than residential.  Why should I be forced to pay more for something I already have now?

David

@WinthropDC

I have spoken to telstra business and their monthly rates are significantly higher than residential.  Why should I be forced to pay more for something I already have now?

I thnk that is why @cf4 had suggested netphone its possibly cheaper and easier at least initially for the fax and 1 number (not sure of they do multiple numbers)

in order to avoid the single phone number issue you wont actually have much choice in using a form of PBX system personally hosted  (ie downloading that software I mention in the other post) or privately.

you could try to follow this  under the DID information.

under the 3cx system you would need Telstra to convert the fake/secondary numbers from the duet system to real numbers (really not sure how to explain that part better sorry).... and then you could have your multiple locations thingy that you wanted including having your mobiles connected to it and it ring through to them.

https://www.3cx.com/free-pbx-edition/

unfortunetly its about the best idea i can give you ..... you could try ringing Telstra residential and see what they offer in terms of the sip trunk or multiple phone number thingy... 

@WinthropDC

these guys dont seem to bad 

https://www.maxo.com.au/business-hosted-pbx-plans

https://www.maxo.com.au/residential_voip_plans

Aussiesmithy
Level 1: Cadet

My problem exactly.

What I want to know is can they just port/divert the existing multiple numbers to the single NBN Number? I dont care about the fax but the other voice multiple number is used and I cant just lose it. Surely if we are going to get screwed over with the multiple number feature on NBN the least they can do is port the numbers to the NBN number so no one else gets them and business can continue. 

If you wish to keep the other numbers you could get a VOIP phone service from a third party VOIP service provider such as Mynetfone and port the numbers to the new VOIP phone service. This has to be done before transferring to the NBN and the phones disconnected. It cost about $10 per month for a VOIP phone service including a certain number of free national calls.

Will need to either purchase a VOIP phone or VOIP adapter for each number.

WinthropDC

The end result for me was:

• Fax Line - disconnected. The truth is that it has been ages since I last received or sent a fax. I can use my normal phone line to send a fax and can also receive a fax if I am there to press the button.

• For the home phone line and office phone lines, I have two NBN modems and two Telstra routers. The Telstra Gateway just does one of the phone lines and the rest of its functionality is disabled. The Telstra Gateway Max does the other phone line and the internet connection.

Basically, I needed a Modem and Router for each phone line.  So now I have four devices where I used to have one.

It took a little while to get the phone line that was part of the bundle swapped, but that has been completed and the errors of $830 on the bill credited back.

So the saga is over, I have 2 of my 3 landlines connected, but don't mind the loss of the fax line. The alarm is working via GSM and the internet is faster.  I went from maximums of 100Mbps Down / 2 Mbps Up (via Bigpond cable) to 120Mbps Down / 35 Mbps Up (via NBN HFC using the same cable). It does fluctuate a bit as I am still on a shared cable.

David

Colinm39Telstra

Thanks for your informative posting

I'm going through the same issues for 3 phone lines..on the Telstra HFC NBN.. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

I'm a very retired IT person and these blank walls I'm encountering don't help. I had to order my NBN through the Small Business area because of the extra phone lines,  the local Telstra did not know what to do.

4 weeks ago I had NBN installed perfectly with 98mbs download.

Yesterday NBN came and replaced my black box with another, supposedly to install the 2nd phone line. .. Guess what... No internet and our 2nd line is now on the NBN... Just as a phone line.. Lost the Internet.  This is the 3rd NBN appointment.  That NBN person said the 4 port modem from Telstra will fix the problem.!!!!!

I'm getting mixed messages from Telstra/NBN..

1. You need 3 wall sockets

2. You need a 4 port Gateway modem (was sent last night) with one wall socket

3. You will need VoiP

4. You will need to get compression off your Fax Phone/Fax line

Now having to use mobile broadband on the home computers, I have two of my over 50's children living at home, one is disabled.

I have very active phone lines because we also Senior baby sitting, 7 over 80's in-laws who don't drive.. they only use the phones for comunication.

I have successfuilly on forwarded the main phone to my wife's mobile becayse we had a power outage last week. So the communication lines are still open.

Your solution has worked for myou but our 3rd phone line is used because the other two lines are always busy. We have 4 mobiles as well and been with Telstra for over 50 years.   So what you are saying I will need 3 wall sockets....

Colin

lironl2
Level 4: Private Eye

The Sagemcom F@ST 5355 gateway supports CAT-iq 2.0 (a DECT standard), which includes multiple lines.  So the capability is there, however Telstra hasn't implemented multiple lines for these routers as far as I know.  IMHO, they should, because it would save them the $24 per month or whatever they pay for each extra NBN connection plus router costs plus the time their call centre staff spend trying to deal with customers who have multiple lines.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now