BobSmith
Level 3: Gumshoe

How to fix SMTP server error 5.7.1 Relaying denied?

Since late yesterday we have been getting error message when trying to send emails from one of our email accounts. It's not a Bigpond email address. We are using Bigpond cable. "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 ... Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged" We haven't changed any settings in Thunderbird and email addresses we try to send to or reply to are usual addresses and not forged. Receiving emails is ok. Other email accounts are sending and receiving ok. I have tried changing SMTP ports but hasn't worked. I have asked the host for the email account to see if there is a problem their end. But could it be a Bigpond problem? I'm clutching at straws here trying to come up with a solution that will fix the problem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 23: Superhero

Re: How to fix SMTP server error 5.7.1 Relaying denied?

What is the outgoing mail server you are sending from?  Is it mail.bigpond.com or mail.otherdomain.com?  Are you sending from your Bigpond service?

If it's not mail.bigpond.com and your using your Bigpond service to send the email, try opening up the email options and changing the setting something like, "My server requires authentication" to a tick and enter the username/password again.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
BobSmith

The server is otherdomain.com. I am sending from my Bigpond cable service. It was working ok until yesterday afternoon. I did what you suggested but received error message. I've also tried changing ports from 587 to 25.
BobSmith

Changed the SMTP server for this email address to another domain with have with the same hosting company. It worked. Should be sending xxx@otherdomain.com.au with SMTP otherdomain.com.au. But sending xxx@otherdomain.com.au with SMTP someotherdomain.com and it works. Hosting company that hosts both domains for us keeps saying they have checked and everything is ok their end. Go back to your ISP. I don't know enough about this but it does seem to point to the hosting service as the problem. But could they be right and it is Bigpond?
Level 23: Superhero

The error is generated by the hosting mail server.  So it's not likely to be Bigpond's fault.

For all my outgoing email sent from home (Outlook) regardless of the actual domain goes out via mail.bigpond.com

That way I have no issues sending and the return address is still the correct domain.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
BobSmith

Our Bigpond server is smtp.live.com. Tried that. Had to change password and use STARTTLS When the email was received the from address had been changed from xxx@otherdomain.com.au to xxx@bigpond.com Looks like I will have to stick to the substitute domain for smtp until I can get the problem fixed.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now