How to get super fast speed on nbn connection

Answered

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
poppa1
Level 6: Bloodhound
Accepted Solution

Re: How to get super fast speed on nbn connection

Thanks DrQwerty Ive been connected to NBN for a week.I use Telstra Big Pond at present but have found that the NBN speeds are slower than my previous ADSL2 copper connection.On test my speeds with Telstra I have 24.9 mb down load /4.9 mb upload the Telstra Techo thought it was as should be.At time it almost stops just using Facebook and so on not including movie downloads.I was not aware that the standard NBN speed was 12mb.So maybe I may need to have more mb with a faster speed using the Super Fast speeds for an  extra $20 pm.I have a  Telstra home bundle S+ at present

Am I heading in the right direction Thanks

Poppa

poppa1
Accepted Solution

Home only As Ive said Ive just been cutover from ADSL2 The test speeds by Telstra are ok 24mb/4.9mb but my load speed at time while loading big pond is slower than the previous ADSL 2.I was not aware that NBN standard speed is 12mb not 25mb as advertised although Telstra say that the 25mb is their standard.I'm lost here can you help

Thanks

Poppa

Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

I seriously doubt that your connection speed has anything to do with things like website loading stalling.  Websites should load pretty quickly even on a connection 10% the speed that you currently are conencted at.

It sounds like there is another issue at play here. Do not rush out and sign up for an extra $20 per month expense, I do not believe that this will solve your problems in any way (unless you want to download movies a lot faster or have a requirement to upload very large files quicker).

You could try changing the DNS server settings to 8.8.8.8 (Googles Open DNS) and see if that helps at all.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Yes, Telstra have their normal speed at 25/5Mbps, but the NBN standard is 12/1Mbps... But if you were on ADSL, chances are the nbn is about double the speed give or take... So yeah, @Jupiter would be right... It shouldn't be that making it load slowly...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

poppa1
Accepted Solution

Thanks DrQwerty90 and Jupiter on your good answers..

Cheers Poppa

poppa1
Accepted Solution

Thank again Jupiter.
Just spoke to a friend in IT and says maybe its a installation problem as my whole suburb wont be cut over until December.
But to monitor the speeds over a month and then go back to Telstra and see what's happening then.
Cheers poppa

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10

Where are you looking for the super fast speed? The incoming connection to your house or at your devices?

And what sort of super fast speed are you looking for (it is quite subjective and depends on what you are trying to do)?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

If you mean Telstra idea of 'Super Fast', you would need to add the 'Super Fast' Speed Boost to your NBN Connection - however it is only compatible with FTTP connections (Fixed Wireless is unable to support it currently), that would give you speeds of up to 100/40, instead of Telstra's standard speed of 25Mbps download (which is still double the normal speed of NBN which is 12Mbps)

However to access the speed boost to 100/40, you would need to contact 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273) and have them modify your plan, however it does cost $20 per month on top of the plan of your choice.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

poppa1
Accepted Solution

Thanks DrQwerty Ive been connected to NBN for a week.I use Telstra Big Pond at present but have found that the NBN speeds are slower than my previous ADSL2 copper connection.On test my speeds with Telstra I have 24.9 mb down load /4.9 mb upload the Telstra Techo thought it was as should be.At time it almost stops just using Facebook and so on not including movie downloads.I was not aware that the standard NBN speed was 12mb.So maybe I may need to have more mb with a faster speed using the Super Fast speeds for an  extra $20 pm.I have a  Telstra home bundle S+ at present

Am I heading in the right direction Thanks

Poppa

poppa1
Accepted Solution

Home only As Ive said Ive just been cutover from ADSL2 The test speeds by Telstra are ok 24mb/4.9mb but my load speed at time while loading big pond is slower than the previous ADSL 2.I was not aware that NBN standard speed is 12mb not 25mb as advertised although Telstra say that the 25mb is their standard.I'm lost here can you help

Thanks

Poppa

Accepted Solution

I seriously doubt that your connection speed has anything to do with things like website loading stalling.  Websites should load pretty quickly even on a connection 10% the speed that you currently are conencted at.

It sounds like there is another issue at play here. Do not rush out and sign up for an extra $20 per month expense, I do not believe that this will solve your problems in any way (unless you want to download movies a lot faster or have a requirement to upload very large files quicker).

You could try changing the DNS server settings to 8.8.8.8 (Googles Open DNS) and see if that helps at all.

Accepted Solution

Yes, Telstra have their normal speed at 25/5Mbps, but the NBN standard is 12/1Mbps... But if you were on ADSL, chances are the nbn is about double the speed give or take... So yeah, @Jupiter would be right... It shouldn't be that making it load slowly...
Helpful Links

poppa1
Accepted Solution

Thanks DrQwerty90 and Jupiter on your good answers..

Cheers Poppa

poppa1
Accepted Solution

Thank again Jupiter.
Just spoke to a friend in IT and says maybe its a installation problem as my whole suburb wont be cut over until December.
But to monitor the speeds over a month and then go back to Telstra and see what's happening then.
Cheers poppa
Highlighted
ty_buchanan
Level 2: Rookie

I get 20mbps most of the time on normal Telstra NBN.  However, on Saturdays and Sundays this slows right down.  Saturday evening gets down to 6mbps,  the same speed I had on weekdays on ADSL2.  Saturday night on ADSL2 got down to 1mbps.

Spoiler
Telstra lies like Pinocchio.  Nodes are not at the beginning of every road.  You can be at the end of 6kms of copper from the node with only 10mbps on weekdays on the NBN,  My neighbour who refused NBN is the only one left on  ADSL2 in our road.  Her speed has gone from 6mbps up to a massive 22mbps.  I should have done the same as she did.
ty_buchanan
Level 2: Rookie

It is now 1:30 am Sunday morning and my NBN speed is 24mbps.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now