CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
marden08
Level 2: Rookie

How to keep Optus email address when changing to Telstra

We are currently with Optus but considering changing to Telstra for our home phone and Broadband. The biggest problem is losing our existing email addresses with Optus as we have had them for probably close to 20 years. I have been reading a few forum posts and am concerned that even if i took up an Optus mobile broadband package to retain the email addresses, they would not work through Telstra as a broadband provider anyway as they would be a third party email. I use my email address for work so cannot afford to have any problems or lose any emails. Are there any suggestions around this? 

marden08

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 23: Superhero

Re: How to keep Optus email address when changing to Telstra

This would I think be more something in the first instance you would need to check out with Optus.

it is my understanding that Optus doesn’t allow for the transition of email addresses to another ISP, eg; Telstra.

When you sign off with Optus, Yyur account will remain valid for 90 days after cancellation, but after that it will be deleted.

Optus do not offer dial up or email-only services. If you really want to retain your email address, you must have an active account with Optus. This may be through mobile broadband or a mobile phone plan.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Raymondo1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Smiley FrustratedOptus are one of the few companies where you can't transport your email address.  

marden08
Level 2: Rookie

Yes this is the conclusion i came to as well Deanja - but i am wondering whether - even if i get a mobile broadband account with Optus to keep the email addresses - the Telstra broadband account will send and receive emails with an Optus address? I know i have had some problems with email on my Iphone with this and had to use a gmail account as a go between ISPs. 

Seems to me the simplest solution is to stay with Optus even though i can get a much better package with Telstra

Level 23: Superhero

1Yes, that could be a problem. Hopefully one of the Telstra Mods might be able to answer that one. I'll flag your post with them to see if they can advise on that. OK.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Marden08,

You will need to speak with Optus regarding their ability to keep your current mailbox open. 

BigPond customers can send and receive emails from any mail server, however you may need to adjust some settings.

BigPond mailboxes are now hosted by Microsoft on http://outlook.com and are created once your account has been activated. 

I would suggest that you create a mailbox on any free mail server such as Outlook.com or Gmail, that way your mail will always be available regardless of your internet service provider. 

If you do this, you could then set an email forward, and/or an out of office message on your Optus account, and adding a note to your signature advising of a new mailbox and asking that they update their contact list with your new details.  Doing this for a month or two prior to the move should mean less people lost in the change to mailboxes.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now