CrowdSupport®
thomo_77
Level 2: Rookie

How to optimize internet for gaming while someone is streaming netflix?

Answered

Hello, As the title suggests what methods are available to try and make gaming stable while soemone is streaming netflix? Im not talking about basic stuffsuch as eth cable and wwhatnot. When trying to play online games everything jitters every 5-7 seconds. My in ping in my discord app shows my connection jumps from 9ms to 118ms or so every couple of seconds.

Crurrent speed plan is 14mb down 5 up. I have a wired connection to the router. I have a nighthawk D8500 hooked up to the smart modem, where i have tried both connecting my PC to both modems with no difference. I use QoS which does nothing from what it seems, i've put all other devices to 'low' priority yet no difference. If anyone knows of any adbanced settings (for the nighthawk d8500) that could help it would be appreciated.

Getting better speeds for my connection isnt available in my area and this is currently the highest available. Modems also have the lastest firmware. Ipads that stream youtube do cause this issue but on a very small scale in comparison to netflix (im aware netflix takes more).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ghostman11
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: How to optimize internet for gaming while someone is streaming netflix?

Did you mean a new line on top of the existing line? If yes, then kindly check with the sales team by calling on 132200, but you'll end up paying line rentals for 2 lines if they're able to give you an extra line.

I am a Telstra Employee participating in CrowdSupport on my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's. Please mark the response "Answered" if I was able to answer your query in anyway.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Ghostman11

Hi,

Please check the number of devices running at the same time along with the device wherein, you're running Netflix.

alternatively, you may wanna opt in for a higher package.

Please call customer service on 132200 and see what are the option they can put across.

Thanks.

I am a Telstra Employee participating in CrowdSupport on my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's. Please mark the response "Answered" if I was able to answer your query in anyway.
thomo_77

As to my knowledge the highest my line can reach is 14mbs download. Is there any possibility of getting a seperate line to the house?

Ghostman11
Accepted Solution

Did you mean a new line on top of the existing line? If yes, then kindly check with the sales team by calling on 132200, but you'll end up paying line rentals for 2 lines if they're able to give you an extra line.

Highlighted
thomo_77

ahh ok thanks for the help

Ghostman11

Please mark it resolved if it helped you in any way.

Thanks.

@thomo_77 wrote:

ahh ok thanks for the help

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now