CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I am only achieving 2.5m/bit download speed on ADSL2+is this acceptable?

Answered

i run several speed tests direct from ethernet connected Telstra modem and on average only get 2.5 m/bit download speed, Telstra says speed for ADSL2+ should be up to 20m/bit. this is way off the mark. Telstra speed diagnostic test says this is ok for downloads and streaming but other test providers say it is poor. should i just wait for the nbn and hope it will be better?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: I am only achieving 2.5m/bit download speed on ADSL2+is this acceptable?

Unfortunately it looks like you will have to wait for NBN for increased speed. Judging by the attenuation you are over 4 Km from the exchange and at that distance 2.5 Mbps is about the fastest you can get on an ADSL connection.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

The speed of an ADSL connection depends on the distance from the exchange and quality of the cable and terminations. Could you post DSL link Status (Maximum Link speed, Actual link speed, Power Output, Attenuation, Noise Margin). These will indicate if the slow speed is due to the distance from exchange or something that could be fixed.

The DSL link status is located here on the Telstra Modem's

TG587 Telstra T-Gateway (TG797). Telstra Gateway Max TG799 and Telstra Gateway Max II (TG800)
http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130), Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230) Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (DJA0231)
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats Log in ID Gen 2 is admin/Telstra

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)
http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page) Password is admin

Highlighted

Highlighted

That's the modem's home page. If you click on Advanced the top right of the page and then click on Broadbands the modem's DSL Link Status is displayed. See image below.

DSL Link 37 Mbps

Highlighted

ok thanks for the heads up.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Unfortunately it looks like you will have to wait for NBN for increased speed. Judging by the attenuation you are over 4 Km from the exchange and at that distance 2.5 Mbps is about the fastest you can get on an ADSL connection.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit