CrowdSupport®
pjcinoznow
Level 2: Rookie

I want to add a printer to the guest network

Folks,

I am on an NBN connection and use the Technicolor Gateway Max TG799vac. The IP addresses for its local network are of the form 10.0.0.x. It has a guest network option that I enabled. That creates a separate subnet whose IP addresses are of the form 192.168.2.x. I can connect my laptop to the guest network and see such an address. I setup a Canon wireless printer and it successfully gets such an address. But, my laptop cannot find that printer. I drop out to a command line window and cannot ping the printer's IP address that displays on its settings screen. Am I missing something? I should say that the house is long and the guest room is at the end. But, the laptop connects well and can access the Internet, etc. The desk there is about 1-2 metres from the printer. Any ideas?

By the way, I did purchase the Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster package but those two devices only extend the main local network. The master unit of the pair connects to the main modem/router via Ethernet and the other slave unit can be place farther away to extend coverage. If I need to extend the guest network, I have to get a third-party booster from a company like Netgear to do so. As I mentioned, I can connect to the guest network in the guest room but I image more weakly than in the rest of the house proper.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: I want to add a printer to the guest network

Hey @pjcinoznow, from memory devices on the guest network can't talk to each other.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The Guest networks on most Routers (the Telstra modems included) only allow a direct connection to the internet, they do not allow connections between devices that are connected to the guest network.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
pjcinoznow
Level 2: Rookie

"...devices on the guest network can't talk to each other."

I was afraid that this might be the case. I could not get a straight answer from Telstra reps I spoke with. They also indicated that the booster would extend the guest network, which it cannot by design.

Ah, nuts... I was hoping to provide printing for friends that stay in the guest room. (It has a bathroom.) I do have a USB cable and the installation CD for the printer and a handy shelf above for a laptop. Oh, well.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you have a second router or you could purchase one second hand to provide internet access to your guests with WAN port of router connected to LAN port of TG799.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now