I was not able to load web pages. My modem is a smart modem LH1000.
Doing a ipconfig /all i see IPv4 DNS is 192.168.0.1 (modem address) and the IPv6 address was xxxx::yyyy::zzzz:%11wwww which is not look right either.
I manually checked the modem and transferred the IPv4 DNS servers to the WiFi adapter, then could not find Telstra IPv6 DNS so just used Google's and rebooted.
Back to working web pages.
ipv6 i used was 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844
Was this helpful?
Telstra broadband protect has a habit of blocking some innocent web pages. Using a custom DNS bypasses Telstra broadband protect which is why using Google enabled you to access the site.
The DNS can be changed in the modem at (Go to Advanced > Local Network) By default these settings in the modem are left blank and the IPv4 and IPv6 DNS in devices connected to the modem are set with the LAN IPv4 and IPv6 address of the modem. DNS request from a device are sent directly to the modem and then redirected to Telstra's DNS server which is displayed in the modem's Go to Advanced > Internet settings. If you select a custom DNS from the drop down list in the modem's settings devices will be configured wit this DNS when they connect to the modem.
Thanks CF4. Just a comment here. My LINUX and my Android devices were all fine. The modem did show the correct DNS, it was just the Win10 device that curled up its toes and refused to play the game.
On my Android devices they are set to use google public DNS as the first DNS server and the modem's IP address as the second DNS. I am not sure what DNS servers Linux uses by default but that might explain why the Android devices still had access.
What version firmware does your modem have. The firmware is displayed on LHS of login page.
The details are
■ Smart Modem ARCADYAN LH1000
■ Firmware 0.05.04R
the addresses without my defining a DNS are ( using ipconfig /all to pull this info)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::a691:b1ff:fe79:324f%9
and using the above i can open any browser, but the page just goes to "Connection timed out" and does not load.
Suggest you contact Telstra and request they push out the latest firmware to your modem. That version is full of bugs. Latest version is 0.09.11r. Normaly firmware updates are automatically downloaded and installed on the modem but this doesn't work on some of the modems with early versions of the firmware. Normal support can't initiate a firmware update but they should refer you to platinum support who normaly charge a fee for service. As this is a fault with Telstra equipment the fee should be waived.
No Telstra want to charge me to fix my connection to web pages. So it looks like either i pay up or i cant surf the web using Telstra. I am not sure if that's legal. I thought i bought a internet connection which means I can view web pages, but apparently that costs extra to fix. So i guess i have to ask the telecommunications ombudsman if that's the way this works or perhaps the ACCC - not sure which group. I guess both and hope for the best.
Your modem is not updating its firmware, has old firmware which is causing your problem so is faulty. Telstra should either replace the modem or update the firmware. Because it is faulty Telstra equipment they should not charge you for updating firmware or replacing modem. It would be quicker to lodge complaint with Telstra. There is information below on how to lodge a complaint.
Hi cf4, all sorted. In desperation i rang Telstra Platinum and they confirmed that the modem is the issue and have sent a new one. The modem was not contactable and has been trying to update itself for some time but failing. Once i set it up all my problems have gone away. There was no charge.
Telstra Platinum were great, compared to L1 that told me the lights are all green therefore its working correctly, and no, they would not escalate the issue, Platinum could check the modem remotely and actually check it.