CrowdSupport®
Ragetank
Level 1: Cadet

Intermittent Upstream Packet loss NBN HFC

Hi all,

Around 5 months ago NBN rolled HFC out in my area. It was great for a few months before I started experiencing internet drops. I contacted Telstra and they said it was a modem time sync issue (which was likely due to my old modem a gateway max which wasn't really that old) so they sent out a Smart Modem Gen 2. After setting up the new modem all was good for about a week before the drops returned.

I started doing some testing to see what exactly these drops were and found out it was only up stream which was odd. I would be in a voice application like discord and I wouldn't be able to talk but I could hear everyone else talking purely because 100% of my upstream packets were being dropped but my downstream packets were fine (im assuming this just packets being sent over UDP that dont require replies/acks etc.). Sometimes these drops can be just a few seconds, 30 seconds or minutes. They are much more frequent during the day and happen alot less during the night (if at all). I frequently manually disconnect my cable during the day and restart the modem so I have a much more stable 4G connection (admittedly even this can be unstable but atleast its not 100% drops). Refer to the screenshot below for an example of when the drops happen.telstra.PNG
Now I have contacted Telstra a few weeks ago about this but its hard to get a high level diagnosis through some of the lower tiers of support. They said they would monitor my network over 24hrs and get back to me but they never did and I've just been too busy to call back since but I am planning on doing this soon. 

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so how did you/telstra go about fixing it.

Cheers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Intermittent Upstream Packet loss NBN HFC

Have you tried to isolate whether the problem Is in the Telstra network or the NNN link by doing a test to 54.160.250

1?

Could also do test to 192

168.0.1 to check if problem I'd with modem or local network.

Ragetank

I can confirm it isn't within my local network. 54.160.250.1 the next hop from my modem drops all of my packets so consequently every other hop will drop 100% as well(below the graph over a minute for about 30 seconds 100% of packets are dropped). Its a very odd issue i must admit, i'd expect this during peak hours but it actually drops less during peak.
packetloss.PNG

It looks like there could be an intermittent fault between your premises and the HFC Node. Might be a faulty tap where your coax cable connects to the street cable. Has a NBN tech been out to investigate?

Highlighted
Ragetank

Yeah we had a tech do something to our box on premise but as he left we realized he had somehow disconnected our foxtel which required us to get a foxtel tech out to undo whatever he did haha. I might have to get Telstra to send out another one.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now