CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Tigga_1119
Level 2: Rookie

Internet Connection Drops out frequently

Hi all.

So a little over a month or so ago, NBN dropped by and installed the little black NBN box which took my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 from back up mode to full connection. But since then it drops out almost daily.

Only today I've had it drop out 3 times in the last 30 minutes, I have spoken to Telstra Tech Support multiple times, where we unplug it and bam fixed, till the same time the next day, or we did a reset using a paper clip. My unit, (I am renting and know barely anything about WIFI and stuff) only has single point wall sockets. The wall socket which is powering the Modem and the NBN box is behind my TV unit. Plugged into that wall socket is a smart powerboard with power switches on each of the points, that powerboard has my PlayStation 4, Tv, Modem and the little black box plugged into it.

Tech support have blamed the fact they are plugged into a power board for my connection issues over and over and have told me to speak to my real estate agent to fix the wiring, however.

When we lose connection, the phone light on the back of the modem goes orange, followed by the light on the front turning orange. After a wait of around 30 seconds to 10 minutes, the online light will go out and then start blinking. while the front light becomes red. Then soon after every light on the back of the modem goes green, including the Mobile Mode light follwed by a blue light on the front. Then after about 10 to 30 minutes we have connection again. I have also noticed that while this is happening the lights on the little black box begin flashing.

If anyone has any info on what is actually causing this would be awesome, I hate having to pay bills for a service that can't stay connected.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Internet Connection Drops out frequently

Do any of the lights change on the NBN Box?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Tigga_1119

@343GuiltySpark wrote:
Do any of the lights change on the NBN Box?

When the light on the modem goes red the lights begin to all begin to blink, going solid one at a time but never change colour

It sounds like a drop a drop fault, my modem and NBN NTD are plugged into a power board and I have no problems with them. I'd recommend calling faults again on 1800 834 273
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Tigga_1119

@343GuiltySpark wrote:
It sounds like a drop a drop fault, my modem and NBN NTD are plugged into a power board and I have no problems with them. I'd recommend calling faults again on 1800 834 273

I try explaining the problem, but they alway cut me off telling me its something else

In that case, you're probably best of raising a complaint in regards to this. Your can raise a complaint here.

Tigga_1119

It just dropped out again but this time i got a text telling me this.

"Hi. Your Telstra Smart Modem has recently switched over to Telstra's mobile network. If your landline phone is affected and you need it urgently call us on 132 203. For more info visit https://fix.telstra.com/smartmodem"

I'm doing a power cycle to see if it comes back.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now