CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Davedodson
Level 1: Cadet

Internet Speed on Velocity slow.

Answered

HI everyone, 

For quite a while I have just sat in silence because of horrible internet, but I have seen to many other people with better speeds for download and uploads with what is cheaper and supposed to be slower internet.

I have conducted 10 speed tests over the last 10 hours. Once an hour and averaged the sppeds using ookla's speedtester.

Ping averaged out at 9 with a lowest on 6 and highest of 22.

Download speed averaged at 4mb's with lowest at  1.2mb's and highest at 6mb's.

Upload stayed very stable and averaged at 1.1mb's with very little in the way of outliers.

According to Telstra's own information I should be getting up to 30mb's dl speed and up to 1mb's uploads.

I have never seen anywhere near 30mb's dl speed and want to know if this is common among other telstra users or if there is something wrong with my end?

The cable - velocity internet was already installed when I moved into this house so I don't know how it was set up.

I want faster internet. And this rubbish is worse than the wireless internet i was getting with optus living in the country and more expencive.

Please help. (I have completed all the troubleshooting tips that telstra reccomend).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cranboune
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: Internet Speed on Velocity slow.

Seems to be an ongoing theme with Telstra Velocity product, I personally have logged the same fault. Its been determined by Telstra in my case congestion exists on the port. After complaints and 4 months of waisted energy I have been unable to get it the fault resolved. 

After lodging a complain with TIO, they also claim they can not force Telstra to upgrade their infrastructure and I get frustrated given I have invested in their technology with good faith and now it seems their under investment is causing the Velocity technology to be at copper speeds. I consider it poor from Telstra to continue to promote this a a fast internet when my average download speed is at 6.5meg.

ACCC have register the issue on their database and it now seems the only option is to have a conversation with my local federal member of parliment.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

To be honest, it sounds like congestion. Uploads rarely get affected because hardly anyone uploads large volumes of files.

Just not enough available backhaul from your area to cope with the amounts of data that are now being downloaded. Courtesy of online streaming services.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cranboune
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Seems to be an ongoing theme with Telstra Velocity product, I personally have logged the same fault. Its been determined by Telstra in my case congestion exists on the port. After complaints and 4 months of waisted energy I have been unable to get it the fault resolved. 

After lodging a complain with TIO, they also claim they can not force Telstra to upgrade their infrastructure and I get frustrated given I have invested in their technology with good faith and now it seems their under investment is causing the Velocity technology to be at copper speeds. I consider it poor from Telstra to continue to promote this a a fast internet when my average download speed is at 6.5meg.

ACCC have register the issue on their database and it now seems the only option is to have a conversation with my local federal member of parliment.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit