CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ray666
Level 2: Rookie

Internet Speeds slow at night

Why does my cable Ultimate slow at nights.

During the day I reliably get > 100mbits down and 2.3mbits up.

When I want to use it I am getting 4 mbits up and .3 down - so slow I believe a Dial Up service would be quicker.

It is so slow I cant do a speed test, contact Telstra Outages, Read mail and occasionally cant evem get to Google before mt browser times ouy.

Anyone have ant ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Internet Speeds slow at night

Hi ray666,

With a Cable service you can expect an impact at peak times, however it should not be impacted so heavily.

Does the pattern seem to be consistent? What has Tech Support advised? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

ray666

Thanks for the reply.

To date Telstra ( or their contractor's) have replaced:

(1)the lightning suppressor on the side of the house

(2) something in the street

(3) My modem ( the new one has poor wireless connectivity and drops out on a regular basis)

Each time, things appeared ok as it was always during the day when signal levels and performance as checked.

I use the service during the night as part of my work and whilst I can understand some slowness as countries come on line during their day time, my problem only exists with Cable and not ADSL2 - both of which use the same "pipe" after DSLAM/CATSYS decoupling into PCP/IP.

I have never had a problem with France or the UK.

So I don't accept the "peak time" argument.

There was a major outage in January, again in February - things seemed a little better for while but tuned bad again a few weeks ago.

Yesterday there was another major outage  which also affected Foxtel (which I noticed was pixelating yesterday).

It was repaired at some stage over night.

Hopefully this may have been the problem - the next few day will tell.

Evanos
Level 1: Cadet

Hey ray
I'm going through the exact same thing now and have the same feeling. Did you eventually get an outcome? If so what was it? There telling me I need a tech to come out but I severely doubt it.
ray666

I kept telling them that there was nothing wrond at my place, but the "process" has to be followed.

A tech came and changes the modem ( why?)

Another tech came (as it was still slow) and changed the lightening supressor (but Foxtel was OK) on the side of the house.

Someone else changed something in the street.

AND

Eventually I lost the service for 3 days.

After enquiring, I was told that there was an exchange upgrade.

Since that upgrade I have no problems.

I told them that on day 1.

But there is the "process"

Good luck

Ray

SD10

I have a similar issue. During the day download speeed is 35 Mbits consistently. At 9 PM this drops to 4 Mbits. Speed degradation starts at 8 PM. Only recovers after midnight. Telstra technicians have visited my house several times but could not find ny issues. I live in the North Shore area of Sydney. SIgnal levels of downstream and upstream channel seems fine in the night.

ray666

HI SD10,

It's been OK since the exchange upgrade as mentioned in my previous post.

Sill not "wonderful" but as more get on the cable I guess one can expect some growing capacity issues.

Pacemaker

I self installed the NBN yesterday. All went well. Good speed & so on. Tonight, jesus I had better speed when I had dial up. Turned the modem off  & on, blah, blah, even the bloody gateway page took ages & when it finally loaded , said all was well.

Never had any problems with ADSL2 at any time of day or night. Unfortunately I'm on the suspect FTTP. Still in the cooling of period, so if it continues, they can shove it.

ray666

Hi Pacemaker,

How did you get FTTP? Was it an option or just given to you?

My ultimate has been up and down over lat few weeks. Did the usual and stupidly called the help desk when my speeds were less than dial up. They got to the point in their script when they were to send someone out but interestingly it got fixed over night. The same thin happened the next day and after having a note made by the help desk person that I refused to do a factory reset they sent someone out. ( I refuse to put the routing tables back in, knowing the problem is noit mne)

He was very good. Tested from my place to the exchange - all OK. Then told me something no one else would. They are upgrading the exchange and will shortly provide NBN on the cable infrastructure. It is a closely guarded secret.

Time will tell what I get and I am waiting for the knock on the door and a man with my new modem. I dont know much about the NBN protocols, not even sure if the cable will use EuroDOCSIS - time will tell I suppose.

I just pay for a 100mbits now and get 20mbits ( if I am lucky)

Let me know how your issue is resolved, it may come in handy.

ray666

ThirdWordSpeeds

Unfortunately, this problem has resulted from the recent mass take up of media streaming services like Netflix. Telstra tech support (in the Philippines) will not acknowledge this when you call and will step you through a very exhausting "process" of resetting your modem, holding the line, call backs, email spamming and a "process" that will have most customers give up on a resolution.

If they were to acknowledge the issue (as they are aware of) it wouldn’t settle well with the customer base. I've had two technicians visit (after stepping through the "process") with the second openly tell me the cause and advise there is no fix. 

I have raised a complaint with the Telecommunications Ombudsman and finally you will be able to talk to someone who will reason with you. The only thing they will offer you is an exit out of your contract, a refund for a few months or a free upgrade to "Speed Boast 100mb" if you are on a 30mb plan. Telstra will more than likely ignore the first complaint from the Ombudsman so escalate to the Investigation stage (follow up complaint) and Telstra will have 10days to respond (they responded the next day for me). https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

My issue is with Telstra Cable in the West Pennant Hills area in Sydney and is a common problem in the Hills Area as I suspect it’s the Castle Hill Exchange. The high definition streams of services like Netflix at each evening is the cause of the problem and "shared cable" networks are vulnerable to congestion. If we had the NBN Fibre to the home, we would all be living the dream

Support Team
Support Team

Hi ThirdWordSpeeds,

I'm sorry that your net connection hasn't been working the way you'd like it to be & there has been no fix there.

I'd be happy to help in anyway I can. 

If you have an SR or INT case number, can you please share that with me and I'll arrange for your case Manager to contact you. 

Angela

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

ThirdWordSpeeds

Hi Angela,

If this issue cannot be resolved by weeks of contacting Telstra tech support, resetting modems, replacing modems and then a Telstra Complex Case Manager telling me there is no resollution I'm not sure how you can help me. I can give you my reference number but I suspect you will tell me to reset my modem or organise a technican to come out and check my cables.

Support Team
Support Team

I would be referring you to your case Manager for further investigation

Angela  

ray666

Don't bother with the speed boost.

I pay for it and should get about 100mbits (I  used to get a reliable 110 mbits) but these days am stuck with 40mbits and a 14ms ping. Useless caling the help desk and following their process (again) as they dont understand how things work. Time for change if things dont improve soon.

nmacka

Cable speed during the day consistent 35mbts at night it varies between 1 and 6 and a ping of 300! Telstra tech came out and diagnosed a slow connection so replaced all outside connecters put an amplifier in the box outside and one on a power point inside hasnt made any differance. Baulkham Hills area Sydney.

craig18278

Dont bother going through the motions with Telstra their whole support system is setup to frustrate you into giving up. I was strung along with Tech Support and Tech visist over 4 months and when I eventually went to the TIO they admitted it was congestion. They new it was congestion on day one but stung me along. As soon as I get an alternate, ie any other provider in my area I'll move, if they had have just admitted the congestion at the start it would have saved me months of pain, in my opinion this practice is dihanest and unethical and borderline illegal.

ray666

I agree with you totally.

It is not until you speak to someone who knows what is REALY happening and what the plans are that one gets an incling ino what is going on.

Please let me know if you find a suitable alternative - and dont go OPTUS !!

AdamH68

Ray,

I am on lower north shore as well. We pay for Prem Liberty 100mb/s download. WE get 25mb in the morning and drops to 6-10mb/s in the evening. The technician who came to our house has said Telstra's network is shot. Ever since Netflix came to Australia the Network is overloaded and wont be fixed for months. I rang them up and said until they give me what I pay for Im wont be paying the bill. Its a complete joke and were very close to leaving Telstra and going to Optus or iiNet. Our neighbours across the road did and they dont have any issues anymore.

Adam

truthsayer
Level 6: Bloodhound

I have adsl+2  and recently receiving the same issue. They have also stated they are doing work on the exchange.

where folks are receiving nbn here we wont be receiving  nbn until 2020 and so we will depend on a great service from adsl+2.

the thing is when the speed drops it affects other services on telstra as with Netflix and also foxtel now which keeps dropping out  \

can tech support also help us with  this problems as I do have Alzheimer and so qualitative pf life is being disrupted at night time

I do need a reply with this from telstra  on how to fix  

truthsayer

customer service needed

why is  telstra going back wards in service 

good speed at night and dial up speed at night

how can I get it fixed 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi truthsayer,

When you spoke to Tech Support, did they confirm that congestion had been identified and if there was an estimated date that this exchange work would be completed?

If you haven't received this information, it could be that the work is still in planning. Alternatively, you can submit a formal complaint via this link and a case manager will be assigned to review your service history and provide you with an update regarding this.

Level 25: The Singularity

Re: customer service needed

That would depend on what service you are having problems with (you have posted in the mobile phone section of Crowdsupport).

Call 125 8887 for a Prepaid Mobile service

Call 133933 for a Broadband service

Call 132200 for a Post Paid Mobile Service

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
truthsayer

broadband service 

it seems night time it drops down to dial up speed and so not only affects speed but also netflix and foxtel now live.

the exchange in yarraman  is suppose to be under repairs and will not be fixed until november..

we do not get nbn here until 2020. and so hope that they will continue to improve adsl+2 for the next 2 decades.

as I am elderly and have alzheimers .

That is congestion at the exchange, which will not be helped if it is under repair.

Unfortunately there is usually nothing that can be done in this type of scenario.

It would still be worth calling the 133933 number to report the issue.

Hopefully the NBN takes less than 3 years to get to you.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now