CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Dunolly_Dick
Level 4: Private Eye

Internet connection, northern Melbourne

Answered
My son, partner and small baby wanted home internet connection in Pascoe Vale. They were informed that this was not possible, because the local exchange was "full". Does this mean they have to wait until someone dies, moves away or discontinues their service before they can get a connection? Is there a waiting list they should join?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Internet connection, northern Melbourne

That is strange... Well considering Telstra Wholesale have a list of the ports available at each exchange on their website he hasn't really told anything which can't be found out otherwise. But it does depend on exact case, as sometimes you may be on a sub exchange or similar which may either be out of ports or not support adsl at all. It is hard to know for sure until an order is placed and it is then raised with wholesale to try and provision.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5

You can place an order with your provider of choice.
If a port is not available, with Telstra at least, they have an 'Held' Process, where if a port is not available they will give you a call and offer to place the order into a held status, where your order will be held pending port availability.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Dunolly_Dick

Thanks for that. I have been a Telstra customer all my life as well! Living in the bush, we have no NBN, but heaps of ADSL2 ports in our exchange. My son ran into a Telstra technician who kindly checked the exchange. He saw lots of ports. When he rang Telstra, all it was interested in was tracking down the techo who had breached the confidence. Makes me wonder. Cheers...
Accepted Solution

That is strange... Well considering Telstra Wholesale have a list of the ports available at each exchange on their website he hasn't really told anything which can't be found out otherwise. But it does depend on exact case, as sometimes you may be on a sub exchange or similar which may either be out of ports or not support adsl at all. It is hard to know for sure until an order is placed and it is then raised with wholesale to try and provision.
Helpful Links

View solution in original post

Dunolly_Dick

Thanks again for that. I suppose he just has to get in the queue!

Cheers from the bush, where it is cooling down rapidly! 😀

Yeah, it is like that out here... I am lucky to be in the main exchange but we have friends and family around town on sub exchanges who have nothing... even though the main exchange still has ports... becasue they are just too far or cannot get a clear connection to the main exchange... it can suck.... hopefully they get a port sorted quickly though Smiley Very Happy
Helpful Links

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now