Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Level 2: Rookie
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Internet constantly dropping out

Internet connection drops out daily - often several times.  I can usually reconnect if I unplug the modem and the cable (which I think is "rebooting").  Sometimes I have to go through this process two or three times before I get the connection back.

I am not doing anything complicated (am old and non-technical).   Not gaming or streaming or anything.

I have tried and tried to get through to technical support but the wait times on the phone are always ridiculous.

Totally fed up!

Level 1: Cadet

Re: Internet constantly dropping out

Same problem exactly! Have called tech support before to be told to go through the same process......back online, problem solved.....til it happens again and again!! New modem which I am paying for makes absolutely NO difference. Brilliant when kids are doing homework or you're just at the crunch moment of an Apple TV movie. Sick to the back teeth of it!
Support Team

Hi guys!

Definitely best to speak to our technical support team on 133 933 (available 24 hours a day) and they will look into this for you and get it resolved Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

I did call tech support several times a while ago, waited ages, and got told to unplug everything, wait a bit and then plug in again.  Which I do and get my internet connection back - though it may take two or three tries.  This is clearly not the way things should be, but that is the only solution anyone has offered.  Recently every time I have tried the tech support line or the live chat, there has been a wait of over 20 minutes to get help - unacceptable.  Why bother when they are going to say the same thing anyway?

Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hi, 

Are you both using WiFi to connect your devices, like the Apple TV etc, to the modem?

If so it could be RF Interference causing the link to drop.  Have a look through the following troubleshooting article and see if it helps:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516

I have found that changing the channel that the modem transmits the WiFi signal on does help.  In the article there are also a few tools which can help you diagnose the issue as well.

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

0 Kudos

The only device connected to my Wifi is my MacBook Pro.

I have noticed that my TV (I'm using Foxtel cable, billed as bundle with internet and phone) seems to break up/ become pixilated at times.  Would this suggest that there is an issue with the cable into the house which would explain why the internet drops out and I have to reboot the modem?

Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hi dotcole,

It issue could be anywhere from the splitter, the Cable outlet or the network.

You can try swapping the filter out or trying only the modem connected to see if this helps with the drops etc. But you may still need to report this to Tech Support on 133 933 or via Live Chat  http://tel.st/gq6m regardless.

- Shelly

0 Kudos

I have what I would call a standard configuration with a printer being my only peripheral device, along with my monitor and modem.

For 2 years now my service continually drops out.

I have given up ringing tech support as they only tell you to do what I already know to do, ie basically a disconnect/connect and if that doesn't work reset or power off the modem. 

When I am at home during the day I often do this 3 or times to restore service.

I had the same equipment at another address and it worked fine.

I expect it is the network, especially in my area, where there are constant problems, as advised by Telstra.

It is not a satisfactory service.

Technical Support
0 Kudos

Tech Support should be organising a technician to attend to investigate the disconnections. They can also organise a replacement modem if you are within contract.

- Shelly

0 Kudos

Tech support should do a lot of things - including answering their phones (or live chat) in a timely manner.  But they don't.

0 Kudos

Technician came this morning, installed bits and pieces here and there (no, I have no idea what) because he said the signal was weak.  He left.  And within an hour I lost connection and now it is even harder to reconnect.  Over an hour on "live chat" and phone (got disconnected while on live chat) and another technician scheduled for tomorrow. 

Woman on live chat says it is my modem and for $9 per month I can have a new one for 24 months.  So that is a total of $216.  But I can buy a mid-range modem for $150.  Another Telstra rip-off?

My head hurts and I do not want even to think about this stuff - just want basic web access and email without constant problems.

0 Kudos

Great advice - curretn waiting time is More than 30 minutes I'll be in bed by then 

0 Kudos

We are experiencing a similar problem. Been since 6 Nov 16.

Had technical help online, two techs visited residence and exchange, checked pits etc.

All connection seem to check out good.  

New spliter, new terminal backing plate. 

Have dial tone while during dropout.

Modem blamed, now have new Telstra TG799 modem new cables.

Guess what? nothing has changed.

Wifi good.

Just about at the end of my tether.

All I need to hear now...is I need a new computerSmiley Mad

Support Team
0 Kudos

Hi Y_me

I would recommend speaking with our 24x7 Technical Support Team on 133933 or via Live Chat  http://tel.st/gq6m and ask for your concerns to be escalated to Level 2 for further investigation. 

Kind Regards 

Level 8: Inspector
0 Kudos

every time tou contact support , even if it is multiple times in a week this is treated as a new and unknown issue that no one has even heard of before . I caught one guy out one time when he gave me this spiel because I recognised his voice and manner and he had to admit I had rung before ..  but he refused to treat this as more than a one off first time thing  ...   this forum proves this is not an isolated "thing" and Telstra must take steps to sort this out   ....   sometimes dozens of dropouts in a single day  .....

Level 6: Bloodhound
0 Kudos

I agree. Many many people with this problem which Telstra are not treating seriously.  Just calling their support line does nothing as others have stated, each and every time you call, you will need to start at the beginning.

You need to lodge a formal complaint with Telstra and be given an SR number, otherwise everytime you ring it will be treated as a new issue.  If you make a complaint, you will be allocated a case manager and if nothing else, your issues will be treated as an on-going problem.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE
0 Kudos

Is there a solution out there for this? I thought it was just wifi from a macbook that had issues with telstta cable but even ethernet does the same. Driving me crazy and each party apple or telstra dont want to take any action. Everyone you speak with says its never been an issue! Is it the modem just isnt compatible? Other devices laptops work fine
Technical Support
0 Kudos

If your BigPond Cable service is disconnecting, the first thing that should be done is some basic troubleshooting. 

- Disconnect the modem from power and the coaxial cable for at least 15 minutes before reconnecting. This will force the modem to renegotiate the connection in a way that a restart will not.

- If you have Foxtel connected to the same outlet, try testing with the modem connected without the Foxtel and the splitter as sometimes splitters can become faulty.

- If only the Wi-Fi network is disconnecting, perform some checks for interference with the Telstra Wi-Fi Maximiser app https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/getwifi

If you continue to experience disconnections, report your service to Tech Support on 133 933.

They will need to go through standard troubleshooting processes before escalating this to a technician to attend.

If the problem continues, please re-report this to Tech Support straight away. If you allow time to pass then the fault will not trigger escalation processes unless the technician who attends identifies an issue that requires a higher level investigation.

- Shelly

0 Kudos

I have the same problem    ....   did it get fixed ?

0 Kudos

They're not available 24 X 7 . That's a lie. Everyone who has this issue is ultimately (after the same line isolation etc etc) put through to a Level 2 person, who have gone to bed after 10 pm. I have the exact same issue for 4-5 weeks now, multiple different customer reference numbers so it seems like a chain of new complaints. A new wifi router, which has been charged to my account but the issue of dropouts goes on and on. Very poor service and a lot of valuable time wasted on the phone and waiting for connectivity. How can this thread be marked solved. I can't see anyone here saying what the solution was !
Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hi shahbsus, 

Sorry to hear you are still experiencing difficulties with your service.

Our technical support team, who can be contacted on 133 933, are available 24/7. These guys are the first people you will speak to if you are having technical issues with your internet. If they are unable to resolve your issue while on the call they will escalate it to a Level 2 support member. The Level 2 team don't work 24/7 so if they have closed for the evening then your issue will be placed into a queue for further investigation and a Level 2 support member should be in contact with you within 24-48 hours.

In regards to internet drop outs, there are many different reasons as to why this is happening and sometimes there may be multiple factors acting on your service which is causing the drop outs. There are also several different ways of connecting to the internet (different technology types) such as ADSL, Cable, NBN and the mobile network, to name a few, and the troubleshooting will be slightly different for each type of connection.  In the above thread most of these posts are discussing a Cable connection, however it sounds like your connection type is ADSL, because you've mentioned the need to perform a line isolation test.

Tech Support is often a process of elimination and each suggested solution or action (like replacing the modem or checking the WiFi) is effectively an experiment, and like any experiment the results need to be analysed. In some cases the issue will be resolved in the first or second step (as you can see above where one post has been marked as resolved). If the drop outs are still occurring after that then we then move on to the next suggestion.

We need to eliminate all of the obvious causes before we go looking for the difficult ones which is what we are doing in this thread. However, due to the complexity of the issue, if the generic troubleshooting provided in this thread is not helping then you will need to speak with our technical support team. This team will be able to access your account, run specific tests on your service and send out a field technician, if necessary, in order get your issue resolved.

My advice for you would be to call again, if the new modem hasn't stopped your drop outs then the next step would be to send out a field tech to check your line.

0 Kudos

Hi Kenobi,

What happens if you have already been through the level 1 and level 2 support teams, the technician has already been, stated that he thinks it's a problem at the exchange and then you never hear from him??

Thank you,
Kylie
Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hi Kylie,

If the technician has advised an issue at the exchange then you are welcome to lodge a complaint which will assist with the overall relief process. You can raise a complaint through one of the means listed on the following page.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681...

0 Kudos

Thanks Kenobi, but  does that mean it isn't fixable? I just want him to tell me if it can be fixed or not??? (obviously I do want it fixed though...)

Technical Support
0 Kudos

When you lodge a complaint, the case manager that is assigned will review the history, seek advise from the technical team and discuss what resolutions are available. - Shelly

0 Kudos

I wished I saw this forum before ordering cable internet through Telstra. All of these comments are exactly the same problems I am currently having. This cannot be a one off, isolated fault. The technician installed my modem on Monday 23rd and just after 24hrs with the service have already have drop outs between every 10min and 1hr. I have rang the support line twice with the same response- unplug the cable, reset the modem. People warned me about Telstras service and as a first time customer I trusted a big company to perform, I am now believing the warnings. There is a technician coming in 10 days ( at the earliest) to resolve this problem but after reading these previous posts, I highly doubt it. Feeling disappointed and disillusioned
0 Kudos

so this person requests assistance for a problem that he describes and you send him an answer titled 'problem solved' and it is just a load of garbage that has nothing to do with even addressing the problem that is rife through telstra  ....  just treat the subscriber as an idiot and hope he will be demorallized enough  to not have the temerity to ever call back ever again  ....  

0 Kudos

this is not an isolated case   ....   this forum here deliberately tries to belittle you into not calling back  ....   the problem must be something that is an embarassment to telstra because of the massive rescources they are throwing at this to shut people up and try to hide it  ....   here in Bundaberg  I was told that there was 3000 + current compaints about this issue and it has to do with the copper cables and "piggy backing" the customers  ....   I am not sure what the  "piggy backing" refers to but it sounds very much like they know what the problem is and are not planning to fix it anytime soon   ....

0 Kudos

just how big is this dropout problem ?  ...   there is a dedicated section for it and I was told that a telstra employee stated that there are over 3000 complaints lodged here in Bundaberg alone and what is "piggy backing"   ....   is this problem slated for fixing or are you guys just supposed to hose down the problem and try to put the blame on the suscriber ?

Level 5: Eagle Eye
0 Kudos

Bundybloke4670, have a look at this link it talks specifically about "piggybacking". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggybacking_(Internet_access)

0 Kudos

have not read it all yet  ....   but interesting

0 Kudos

while there is in some sense a degree of some degree of truth in that statement   ...   when taken in the context of the whole statement it is realy just rampant mis-information  ....   telstra is aware of the problem and are refusing to fix it   ....   why ?   ...  I dunno  ....  but they are throwng a great deal of resources at trying to shut down the complainers and making people such as you toe the line and not admit there is something amiss  ....

0 Kudos

just recovering from my 5th drop out today   ....  there is lots more day left so I can count on quite a few more dropouts today  ...

0 Kudos

just recovering from my 6th drop out for today from a problem that Telstra assures me doesnt exist  .....   is it reassuring to be told the problem does not exist ?  ....   not really   .....   is it reassuring when " tech staff "  give out meaningless simplistic rhetoric instead of addressing the problem   ?   ....    not really    ......   what now ?   I dunno   ....

0 Kudos

recovering from another drop out   ......   my phones wifi had to be reconnected too  ....  hmmmmm   ...   but of course it would have to be my computer was at fault   .....  and subsribers equipment is their responsibility  .....   does not explain the phone needing to be reconnected tho  ......

0 Kudos

I am having the dsale problems. Now 20 days of stop start internet service. Been upgraded to level 2 then level 3. No it is aparently a outage of some kind and I have been given promises of a fix by 7pm tomorrow evening. Heres hoping.

I will get out of Telstra as soon as I can. bloody useless mob of  idiots.

Telstra transmission manager, redundant in 1997 after 40 years.
0 Kudos

I did not use the computer much today  .....   butI am now just recovering from my second drop out today   .....   

0 Kudos

just recovering from another drop out  .....  not many today   ....  but there should not be any drop outs   .....

0 Kudos

recovering from another drop out today   ....   telstra was supposed to fing me on friday   ...   but didnt  ....   maybe they were too busy trying to sweep this problem under the rug and discrediting any subsciber that said they had a problem   .....  or on the other hand they may have been dilligently working on fixing the problem   ...   oops daydreaming again  .....    how many out there are looking at these posts that are having problems ?

0 Kudos

recovering from yet another drop out today   ....  maybe I should have faith that telstra  is not ignoring me and are really working on this drop out problem   .....  some feedback would be nice tho   .....

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've been having the same issues with drop outs have drop outs recoreded from all the way back to 3/12/16 (day it was installed) everytime a Tech has come out all they have done is replaced the modem.

With the issue still happening I rang tech support and was told to "suck it up, that's just how it goes" so I made a complaint after that remark (That's not how it goes, not while I'm paying for the service). After getting a call and lectured about how I didn't have to make a complaint they sent another tech out and yet again replaced the modem only. (up to our 4th Modem and still same drop out issues and yet
they refuses to accept it's not the modem that is the issue)

Technical Support
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Drop outs can be caused by a number of factors and looking at the recent comments on this thread, it is difficult to determine if you are all referring to the same type of internet service (ADSL, Cable, Velocity or NBN) and if you are in the same location. The original post in 2015 relates to disconnections with their Cable service. 

No service provider can guarantee a fault free service but if you are experiencing several disconnections daily, then this is something that needs to be addressed. I would recommend that you report your individual faults via the appropriate area so that they can continue to record the history of the issue with your service and investigate this for you.

Not all faults will be able to be repaired by a single technician and any major network repairs do need to go through a planning process which can include getting permits from the local council, traffic control, specific equipment and a specialised team to make the repairs.

I understand that it is frustrating to continually report faults, repeating the same troubleshooting steps and waiting for the technician to attend. We do have a system in place that will escalate faults that have been reported several times for the same type of issue, so please do keep letting us know about the issue so that we can report the fault and escalate as appropriate. 

If you have reported the fault several times without resolution, you can also submit a formal complaint via any of the methods listed here. A case manager will be assigned and will contact you to discuss your concerns and to manage this issue for you.

- Shelly

0 Kudos

just recovering from another drop out   .....    I wonder when telstra will acknowledge that there is actually a problem ....  or is it that they know there is a problem but are going to do whatever it takes to stonewall this issue and hope the sufferers will give up and just accept that their account is never going to ever be any good and just accept 2nd rate service like we are in a 3rd world country  .....

0 Kudos

another day and the start of the days drop outs  ....   first for today but there is lots more day left yet  ....  and still no feed back from telstra  .....

0 Kudos

G-Mac , I believe they are fully aware of what the problem is and are not planning to fix it real soon so they are stonewalling us  hoping we will give up and fade away   ....   I an no tech ,but I think its the copper cables and they are just stalling till there is a push to have fiber to the house    ....  nothing will happen til there is enough noise  

0 Kudos

just recovering from another drop out   .....   those ones that telstra say dont exist  ....  still have not had any word from my case manager who was to ring me on friday and check on progress of this case   ...  their refusal to admit there is a widespread problem is alarming   ...  as is their refusal to accept responsibility for a situation that affects so many people  .....

0 Kudos

just recovering from the second drop out in less than 10 minutes  ......   telstra must have to take this seriously eventually    ....  if there are multiple people here reporting the same occurances then it must reach a point where this situation must be looked at  .....

0 Kudos

just recovering from another drop out   ......    a restart is the only way to reconnect with the internet even tho the icon sais that I am connected   ...   telstra was supposed to call me last friday   .....   I will ring them again now and see what happens  ....   not really confident that therewill be any resolution tho   .....

0 Kudos

recovering from another drop out today    .....   I rang telstra and got confirmation of my SR number 1-10167117688008  and they just said they would call back   ...   no call yet  ...   

0 Kudos

just recovering from another drop out    ...   that is three in the last 20 minutesand still no word from testra   ....   I wont ring them now cos they may not answer   ...   but I will ring them again in the morning to find out why they have not contacted me  .....  I will see if this non contact is because they are still refusing to accept that this is happening  .....