Dustin77
Level 1: Cadet

Internet disconecting

Answered

My internet was upgraded from dsl 8Mbps running at 1 to 3Mbps top speed of 400kb/s to the new NBN when they installed nbn in Victoria Point. was running at 45Mbps 3mb/s and fine until a week ago when it started disconnecting. I received a few scam calls about disconecting my internet unless i rebooted my modem. after the second msg " i leave phone plugged in but on silent as we don't use it" the modem started to reboot on its own and when it came back on it would always go to mobile mode. i would then manually switch power off and on again for it to reconnect to nbn, this happened a few times in 2 days. i rang Telstra on the 19th July and they fixed it while i was on the phone "reference number for our discussion is INT 1-2130960462204" that afternoon it started again. Have i been hacked? is my connection not good? is there something wrong with my setup? i saved two different logs from the modem one on the 19th July and the other today the 23rd but i don't understand them. i have one PC LAN 1 PC wireless and a few other devices wireless. i can tell when its about to drop as the LAN symbol brings up a yellow exclamation mark just before i loose internet. I have now removed the phone altogether, i was wondering if it was the phone but i remembered it did it on the 19th after i unplugged the phone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Internet disconecting

The reason the WiFi Analyzer says the channel is weak even after changing channels is due to the hidden WiFi networks broadcast by the Roku boxes and if the TV's have miracasting or chromecasting built they will also broadcast hidden WiFi networks. The Google mini and the wireless printer if its supports WiFi direct also broadcast a WiFi network. These WiFi networks are on the same channel as the Telstra modem. When the Telstra modem changes channel these devices also change WiFi channels so that they are broadcasting on the same channel. Because there are so many nearby WiFi networks on the same channel the WiFi Analyser says the channel is weak.

One thing you could try to prevent the WiFi drop outs is to disable band steering in the 2.4 GHz settings in the modem. This will result in the 5 GHz channel's SSID having -5G added to the end of the normal SSID.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

I doubt you've been hacked.

I would recommend factory resetting your modem and see if that resolves the issue.

Otherwise if its ongoing I'd recommend calling Telstra's NBN team again on 1800 834 273 for further assistance. 

For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Dustin77

So i tried resetting. Worked for a biy and network still dumps.

Went into telstra shop and they gave me a replacement modem and i bought a new network card for my pc. I use the telstra roku box and Nvidia shield. The nbn seems to always connected with new modem but the wireless switches on and off continuously which  is really annoying. My devices cant find network then finds it. I downloaded a wifi analyser on my phone and says signal is strong but channel is weak so i change it to the recommended channel and it then says that new channel is weak and recomends another channel. I have nbn fiber to the node and when i had dsl our net was crappppppy. So yeah, wifi signal is strong but drops. I have 2 tvs 2 telstra boxes 2 pcs 2 phones and shield and google mini and wireless printer on my wifi. Any ideas?

Accepted Solution

The reason the WiFi Analyzer says the channel is weak even after changing channels is due to the hidden WiFi networks broadcast by the Roku boxes and if the TV's have miracasting or chromecasting built they will also broadcast hidden WiFi networks. The Google mini and the wireless printer if its supports WiFi direct also broadcast a WiFi network. These WiFi networks are on the same channel as the Telstra modem. When the Telstra modem changes channel these devices also change WiFi channels so that they are broadcasting on the same channel. Because there are so many nearby WiFi networks on the same channel the WiFi Analyser says the channel is weak.

One thing you could try to prevent the WiFi drop outs is to disable band steering in the 2.4 GHz settings in the modem. This will result in the 5 GHz channel's SSID having -5G added to the end of the normal SSID.

Dustin77

Thanks cf4. Seems to be working atm by seperating the bands. Fingers crossed.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now