Highlighted
DsonMaD
Level 1: Cadet

Internet disconnects when phone rings

Answered

Hello,

I lose connection to the Internet whenever someone calls the homephone, and then hear static while the modem tries to reconnect.

I isolated the modem router. When the phone is not plugged in, the Internet will disconnect when I call the home number. I think this would mean it is a problem with the wiring.

Please help.

thanks,

Denison

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Internet disconnects when phone rings

@DsonMaD wrote:

yes, I have replaced my filters twice, so I am almost positive it is the wiring. 

What steps should I take next?

Report a fault at https://service.telstra.com.au/general/home-phone-fault/?execution=e1s1

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 21: Augmented

if it's an ADSL service what you describe is very typical of a line filter problem, unfiltered device on the line, incorrectly installed filter, wrong type of filter used, faulty filter etc

if you have static on the line all the time can also indicate a filter problem but could also mean a wiring problem, filters would be the first thing I'd look at though
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
DsonMaD

yes, I have replaced my filters twice, so I am almost positive it is the wiring. 

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@DsonMaD wrote:

Report a fault at https://service.telstra.com.au/general/home-phone-fault/?execution=e1s1

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Jasanda

Hi there - I just joined this crowd support thing because I am having exactly the same problem but I have cable internet which I thought would have nothing to do with the landline.  I've fired off an email to BigPond as I don't like sitting on  hold for an hour waiting for my call to be answered.  I have checked the cable, lights, all the usual stuff and it has me baffled especially when the modem isn't even connected to the phone line!  Any suggestions as my email may not be answered for 2 business days!

Level 21: Augmented

@DsonMaD wrote:

try an isolation test first

do you have the correct type of filter, ADSL1 and 2 have different filter requirements, how many devices on your line also impact whether individual filters are ok or you need a central filter, too many devices on the line can be a problem regardless

some devices even when filtered can be problematic, alarm systems, some brands of cordless phones etc, removing all devices and the adding them back one at a time can sometimes help to find the culprit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
tyler2102
Level 2: Rookie

If changing the filters do not work, call 133933 and ask for you line to be stabilised. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Jasanda,

You are absolutely right, a Cable internet service works on a completely different network to your home phone. The only likely cause of interference would be through the WiFi and if you have a cordless phone. 

Try moving the cordless phones base station away from the modem or changing the WiFi channels that the modem uses. I would recommend trying channel 6 or 11 if you go this route.

The following link shows how to access the modems settings page so that you can make these sorts of adjustments. 

simply change Channel from Auto to the channel of your choice and apply the settings.

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/changing-the-home-network-wi-fi-security-settings-for-big...

Hope this helps you out.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now