Highlighted
allyrenee
Level 1: Cadet

Internet disconnects when phone rings

Answered

Hi, I've been having an ongoing issue with our ADSL when the landline is in use (call in our out). It originally used to drop the internet connection whenever we called out or someone called in and then it progressed to the line being static, then it wouldn't have a dialtone at all.

Telstra came by and replaced one of the line filters and this got the phone line working, but we're still having the internet drop out with incoming/outgoing calls.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Internet disconnects when phone rings

It sounds like the socket that you phone is connected to is a "mode 3" socket. This is your primary phone socket and will cause the other sockets to drop when it is in use. It's designed for alarm systems (the technician should have checked the wiring to confirm that at the time).

You need to get the wiring modified to turn them in to parallel connections, with the filter on the socket that the phone is connected to.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

It sounds like the socket that you phone is connected to is a "mode 3" socket. This is your primary phone socket and will cause the other sockets to drop when it is in use. It's designed for alarm systems (the technician should have checked the wiring to confirm that at the time).

You need to get the wiring modified to turn them in to parallel connections, with the filter on the socket that the phone is connected to.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
allyrenee
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you. Looks like I'll be lining up another technician visit.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more