benada
Level 1: Cadet

Internet dropping out 10+ times a day

So we've had NBN installed for roughly 18 months now, and it wasn't too bad apart from the occasional dropout here and there. The last roughly 6 months have been another story though. To cut a long story short, the net dropped out ~6 times a day, called Telstra, sent us out a new modem, issue good for a week or 2, called Telstra again, sent a technician out who says it's our wiring (read that excuse in quite a few threads here where it actually turned out to not be the case), and now the internet is dropping about probably about 10 times a day, being generous.

Now, if understand if it was our wiring if it did this from the get go, however, it's only been the last 6 months and I'm more inclined to lean on the poor NBN/Telstra quality than the wiring in my house suddenly going to s***. Anyone know of any fixes or do we do what other threads have suggested and just keep trying different modems until we find 1 that works how it's supposed to?

Current modem is DJA0230, had it for a couple weeks now.
Typical Telstra

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Internet dropping out 10+ times a day

If you have already tried more than one modem changing modems is not going to fix the fault. If you have more than one phone socket then it could be house wiring but is more likely to be a cable fault. If more than one phone socket you could disconnect the spare sockets and wire socket connected to modem directly to lead in cable.

If not house you will just have to keep calling support until NBN Co fix the fault as 10 faults per day is over the minimum number that NBN Co considers as a fault worth fixing.

Level 21: Augmented

It can be wiring... Copper ages... Things happen (flooded pits)…
Search through my recent posts where I described recent experience with sudden deterioration of my link... When you are on NBN, Telstra can have hard time to get NBN to do things. First - right now, they are obliged to guarantee 12Mbps down, so if you drop from 30 to 20 like I did they do not move a finger. Also I think you can have up to 10 drop outs a day to be within guarantee... You need to be persistent, and insist of having SELT and Metalic Line Tests done... They cancelled somewhere around 10 Telstra's tickets before getting their act together.... You need to make a complaint and not let complaint manager close the case after NBN closes it on him... Took me 3 weeks with extra help of Telstra staff who is fellow member of Brains Trust here...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @benada,

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your NBN service, if you can get me details at our webform:

https://tel.st/yflzy

I would be happy to follow up with our NBN Complaints team about this, that way we can get a case manager assigned to follow this through until you're completely up and running. To do that I'd just need you to let me know the reference number that webform gives you and then we can go from there.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

benada

SR 1-1823895008705. Thanks for your prompt reply Dylan
Typical Telstra
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @benada,

Sorry for the late response. 

Has this issue since been sorted for you? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Pete6602

Hi benada,

I have exactly the same issue. Have replaced modem twice (at Testra's advice) and still getting dropouts.

Was supposed to have an NBN tech come to inspect and waited around all morning as requested. No show and receive call saying they arrived and no-one home so fixed problem from outside the house. Rubbish. Still does exactly the same thing.

Asked and ordered 100mbs package but when rang again weeks later had not been done despite having a transcript saying it was. 

Still dropping out at least 10 times a day so not happy at all. Not sure where to go from here because NBN tech's seem to do whatever they like without reproach. Over it.

Been with Telstra for over 20 years which means nothing when NBN is involved...

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Another call to 1800 834 273 would be the first step in order to get another technician sent out.

You could lodge a complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints but this will not be any more effective in this case.

If the next NBN Co technician's visit does not fix the problem, lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman at www.tio.com.au . Make sure you lodge the complaint about NBN Co as if you lodge it about Telstra, you probably won't get it fixed as quickly as the problem is with NBN Co and their lack of doing things properly.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Pete6602

Thanks for your response Jupiter. I will do what you suggested and fingers crossed.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more