CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
RC10
Level 2: Rookie

Internet keeps disconnecting

Answered

I tried Windows 10 a few weeks ago and went back to 8.1 for various reasons the worst being that it keeps dropping the internet connection on my laptop.

Wifi works OK connecting the laptop, but I use it for a lot of video work and wifi is too unstable to use when compared to a straight ethernet connection.

I connect to my modem  the desktop PC, also connected via ethernet and other things like my tablet and phone which connect by WiFi.with no problems, just have troubles with the laptop.

It was working fine before I changed it to windows 10 and now since going back to 8.1, what was a good workable computer has become terrible.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting

Good evening RC, well from what you've told us there, we can rule out the modem and your service provisioning as everything else seems  from what you say, works fine.

You haven't said which version of Windows 10 tried  8.1 you are using, but one of the for some, annoying quirks of Windows 10, particularlly Windows 10 home is the fact that it's been all invasive in the updating area, taking over in a lot of cases driver updates for just about all components in computers.

Whilst this might be good to keep drivers up to date, unfortunately Microsoft haven't got the system perfected properly and there have been thousands of cases where Windows has taken drivers that show up on a computers as being out of date, when in fact they are the latest  it's in fact  the microsoft data base that's out of date.

I think this is your problem with the ethernet card in your lappy and when you've reverted back to 8.1 the drivers that were installed with windows 10 have stuck there and are out of date.

Go into your device manager on your lappy  and look up what type of Ethernet controller you have. You'll see in the picture I posted below I've got a Qualcomm brand Atheros AR8161 etc. etc. Once you've written down the details, go to the brands web site> support/downloads and see what the latest drivers are for your controller, download and instal, and see if this fixes the situation.

drivers.jpgSignature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
RC10

I should have also said that when the internet disconnects (unlike in previous windows versions) troubleshooting does not correct this, at least not the first time, it tries for at least 5 minutes and fails I then try to restart but it hangs on restart so I have to close down then restart then troubleshoot again then it finally connects. This is identical behaviour to 2 weeks ago when I tried Windows 10.

Level 20: Director

Have you tried deleting your wireless connections then adding them back?

Accepted Solution

Good evening RC, well from what you've told us there, we can rule out the modem and your service provisioning as everything else seems  from what you say, works fine.

You haven't said which version of Windows 10 tried  8.1 you are using, but one of the for some, annoying quirks of Windows 10, particularlly Windows 10 home is the fact that it's been all invasive in the updating area, taking over in a lot of cases driver updates for just about all components in computers.

Whilst this might be good to keep drivers up to date, unfortunately Microsoft haven't got the system perfected properly and there have been thousands of cases where Windows has taken drivers that show up on a computers as being out of date, when in fact they are the latest  it's in fact  the microsoft data base that's out of date.

I think this is your problem with the ethernet card in your lappy and when you've reverted back to 8.1 the drivers that were installed with windows 10 have stuck there and are out of date.

Go into your device manager on your lappy  and look up what type of Ethernet controller you have. You'll see in the picture I posted below I've got a Qualcomm brand Atheros AR8161 etc. etc. Once you've written down the details, go to the brands web site> support/downloads and see what the latest drivers are for your controller, download and instal, and see if this fixes the situation.

drivers.jpgSignature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

RC10

Thanks for that information, my next door neighbour said something similar.

Ive found out in device manager that it's a Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet adapter, so now I'll chase that and see if there are drivers available for it. I checked the properties and have the driver version.

Thanks to the other guy, there's no problem with my WiFi and other things like my desktop which I didn't try to change to windows ten are fine on ethernet connection or wifi as is my tablet.

Great, well I hope your next door friend and I are right, the broadcom link is here: https://www.broadcom.com/

Just in case you haven't found it.

Signature.gif

Tranny

The same thing happened with the drivers for our printer. Windows went back in 10 and instaled drivers that were 3 years old. Took us a while to figure out what was wrong.

RC10

Well I thought I'd let you know how we went today.

Last night I downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the card, but was too tired to sit around and see if that worked.

Today I've had the laptop at hand all day and it hasn't disconected once. The signal has been strong and constant.

I'm amazed that Microsoft could roll out a major upgrade like windows 10 and then break peoples computers like that. The neighbour next door has updated his printer drivers and same thing. His printer has come back to life on his home network.

Thanks for your help here.

quba
Level 1: Cadet

My NETFLIX keeps droping out

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now