CrowdSupport®
jd-63
Level 2: Rookie

Internet may not be available = on all devices connected to NBN

The Wi-Fi symbol on 4 devices ( 3 mobile phones and 1 tablet) has an exclamation mark next to it and the message says Internet may not be available but all devices are connected and can access the internet, on and off. My speed tests are coming back perfect but it takes a few reloads and a lot of waiting for pages to load. Emails wont come through and i need to turn Wi-Fi off to allow for emails to be received. I have contacted Telstra but as my laptop could access the internet it counts as working, even though a lot of pages time out and never load the page on the first try. Telstra had me reset my modem and its been even worse since then, after a bit of research i think it could be the modem. It all started on June 1st and it was nothing i done on my end. Can anyone offer any advice? I have NBN FTTN.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Internet may not be available = on all devices connected to NBN

Out of curiosity are those Samsung Devices
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

jd-63

Yes, an S6, S7, S9 and a samsung tablet.
Level 19: Deputy Director

It could be an intermittent problem - wifi not solid connection.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Do you have the Telstra Smart Modem?

You are the fourth person to post the exact same problem with Samsung Android devices and the Telstra Smart Modem. Prehaps its time that  some one from Telstra who monitors these boards passed it on so that it can be investigated and fixed.

jd-63

I have the Telstra Gateway Frontier DJN2130. That is not good news, Telstra wouldn't help any further and closed my ticket so i hope there's a solution soon

NBN work is being done in my area and I have experienced the slow page loading problem previously for weeks on end. On May 1 my TG797 died and was replaced but the page loading issue continued. My Samsung tablet SMT350 also overheated and would not boot on May 1. Totally dead. Then there was a problem with the new modem and the Indian call centre tested and said it was an issue at the exchange. Since then I have not had the issue. But I was only using ethernet not wifi.
Another thing though was I was experiencing being hacked, and had issues connecting to the VPN. Perversely I could only use the internet if I disabled the VPN! But after double checking and reloading routers and reloading a good backup [overwriting drive] onto my PC this stopped. So maybe check your routers as well. Perhaps consider VPN to assist in wifi hacking prevention. It's about the only thing that does stop this other than not using wifi at all! Even if this is not the problem it is still a good idea in terms of future mental health. https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2495932,00.asp
My provider Torguard uses port 443 so it makes it easy in terms of not having to setup port forwarding. You have to change the port to 443 in client side software setup though. The default is 1194.

I have the Telstra Frontier and have a Samsung S9 which connects to the WiFi with no problems. Do you know if your public IP address is a IPv6 or a IPv4 address.
If you log into the gateway and click on Broadband it will show IPv4 and IPv6 status. Mine shows as IPv4 connected, Ipv6 disconnected.

What version of Android is on your devices is it 7 or 8?

jd-63

Wow thats quite unfortunate all that happened. I do wonder what happened as it worked for months perfectly fine and since the 1st June it hasn't worked properly. Thanks for all the tips!
jd-63

Mine is the same as yours, IPv4 connected, IPv6 disconnected. I have an address for the IPv4 but not for the IPv6.

And my S9 is version 8

What version of firmware is installed in your gateway?
Mine is 17.2.0219-820-RB
Advanced > Gateway
Also check if system time is correct on the same page.
jd-63

My gateway is Firmware Version 17.2.0219-820-RB and it has the correct time. It was reset a few days ago and telstra did tests on their end - apparently all fine.

You could try changing a few settings on the gateway. On my gateway I have

• Turned band steering off (WiFi > 2.4 GHz remove tick next to band steering)
  • Disabled LAN IPv6 (Advanced > Local Network > IPv6 state

Reboot gateway after making these changes.

jd-63

Unfortunately that did not work, thanks for trying!

I connected to my neighbours Wi-Fi and they have the same modem but the ADSL version (Still NBN) and i can connect to that fine.

If you run the modem in back up mode by disconnecting the DSL port does the WiFi work OK on the Samsung devices? The online light will turn purple on back up mode. Reconnect one of the Samsung devices when modem in back up mode.

Its hard to pinpoint whats going on as I haven't been able to replicate it on my samsung devices nor others I've tested with. And id anticipate is being visibly larger if there was something going on as there would be thousands of frontiers and smart modems in use with and an ever higher number of samsung devices being used.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Yes, I could not believe it! Still have to get someone to replace battery in Samsung so can't provide info on it yet.

After the old TG797nv3 died I was issued with the Smart Modem DJA0230 and both used /use ADSL2. NBN not connected at present.

Yes, I just thought it may have been related to damaged cables such as underwater one in SE Asia slowing down DNS resolution. May 1 was about the time that Telstra had the internet outage due to a lightning strike. Lightning along their cables would not be a good thing.
Just curious, before this happened Samsung were setting up a policy of wiping users tablets on a weekly basis - forget the details unfortunately, anyone know about this. My tablet is a dodo at the moment.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now