Shorncliffe
Level 1: Cadet

Internet speed

Today I just gave up. It's been 2 months now. 

The final verdict is only one person can use the internet at a time. According to Telstra, our speed is great at 4.5. When I explained that you only get that speed so long as no one is using the internet, the guy said "thats all we need to provide". So the minute we watch Telstra tv or someone gets online, our speed goes down to .80 or something useless and no one can use the internet. 

I'm just tired of fighting this with Telstra. The technician came out and told us everything was fine inside our home and the issue was with the line. He reckons he fixed the line so it won't drop out. But.....what about the speed???

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Internet speed

If you have a DSL connection (ADSL or FTTN/B) could you post your modems link stats (Maxumum speed. Actual Speed. attenuation etc) THese will give an indication off what might be causing the problem and if it can be fixed. On the Telstra modems the link stats are located at:

TG587 Telstra T-Gateway (TG797). Telstra Gateway Max TG799 and Telstra Gateway Max II (TG800)
http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130), Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230) Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (DJA0231)
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats Log in ID Gen 2 is admin/Telstra

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)
http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page) Password is admin

Shorncliffe

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 8.36.36 pm.png

According to the line attenuation figures you should be getting at least 13 Mbps. It looks like a noise profile has been applied to your line. Normally the noise margin set at 6 db for maximum line speed. Your noise margin is set to 17 db. If you have been suffering drop outs the noise profile has been applied to fix the drop outs instead of fixing the line fault.
Shorncliffe

cf4 - Wow. Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. That is some high level understanding you have. What do you think might be a way to resolve this? Do you think the people at the call centre understand this?

One way to get it resolved is to lodge a official complaint. Use can lodge a official complaint by ringing 132200 and when asked for reason of call say complaint or use online form.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

If you hear noise during telephone calls you will get the fault fixed quicker if you report the fault as a phone fault. If you were getting better speeds before point this out to support as proof that your connection s capable of faster speeds. I doubt that the level one support people you speak to on the phone will understand the relationship between SNR margin, Attenuation and line speed. Level 2 and Level 3 support should understand.

Dynamic Line Mangement (DLM) has kicked in, probably due to the line fault (6.14 line rate is a dead giveaway). In theory it should fix itself but a line rebuild can be done to reset it as well.
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
jeniel

Sounds as if you are connected to Fibre to the node

No the OP is on ADSL
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now