CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Internet

Answered

I have cable broadband. I have a fairly large house. The cable modem is connected at the front of the house.

In order to have WIFI to my bedroom which is at the end of the house I have a network extender which works fine.

I also have an apartment right above my bedroom which there is no internet connection.

My Question is can I get additional WIFI extender? And will that work?

If not can I relocate the Modem cable somehow to the middle of the house and use the exsiting extender which is plugged in my room and will that help the internet upstairs?

Somehow I want to use internet upstairs using my existing bigpond.  Please help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Internet

@Manik2

Welcome to CrowdSupport and thanks for the question.

There are a few different options available to you, and depending on your choice, there are pro's a con's with each.

Option 1:

Yes, you should be able to use an additional Wi-FI Extender to further increase your Wi-FI reach.

Pro's of this option are that it is likely the most cost effective depending on your chosen Extender. It's easy to install and it can be quickly altered if your future needs change.

Con's include increased "Latency" on your network possibly resulting in slow Wi-Fi speeds depending on distance, interference of the Wi-FI signal is also possible. Depending on what the floor of the unit above you is constructed of, you may find that even with an additional Extender, you still won't have data access or Wi-Fi Signal.

Option 2:

You can request an additional Cable Socket to be installed at a location of your choosing. To arrange this, you'd just need to speak to our Sales Team on 132200 as this is contracted work.

Costs associated will differ depending on the amount of work required and the distance from the initial socket (cable length required). We do provide you with a quote of any costs before any work commences.

Pro's of this option include having the modem installed in an ideal location and could potentially remove the need for Extenders all together.

Con's can be a long list, but the main one is with the coming NBN Change over for HFC (Broadband Cable) area's. Once NBN is installed, any additional sockets would become useless and you're back in the same boat as you are now.

Option 3:

Arrange for "Smart Cabling" to be run in your home. This will provide Ethernet Sockets in key locations in your home and/or in the Unit you have upstairs. These can all be cabled back to where you modem currently is for easy connection to the internet.

You could then connect a separate Wi-Fi Router and connect it  back to your existing modem where it is now.

Costs of this option will also differ as they do in Option 2, and Telstra won't install this cabling for you as it is considered "Private Cabling". I'd recommend speaking to a Private Electrician for specific prices and receive quotes for the work needed.

Pro's for this option are that you can place a Wi-FI router anywhere there is an Ethernet socket installed. Reduced Network Latency as the cabling is direct to the modem and is less prone to interference over greater distances. Hidden cabling in walls of your home are also a plus if you're keen on "neatness". This option also "Future proofs" your home for NBN and allows greater flexibility if you find that you require hardwired access points down the track. Overall Network performance and speed tends to increase when using cabled connections over Wi-Fi Networks. 

Con's can be the price associated, and on rare occasions, the set up of additional Wi-Fi routers can be a little trickier (Most are plug and play - unless you require something specific set up). The purchase of an additional Wi-Fi Router can also be considered a con.

I hope that helps.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@Manik2

Welcome to CrowdSupport and thanks for the question.

There are a few different options available to you, and depending on your choice, there are pro's a con's with each.

Option 1:

Yes, you should be able to use an additional Wi-FI Extender to further increase your Wi-FI reach.

Pro's of this option are that it is likely the most cost effective depending on your chosen Extender. It's easy to install and it can be quickly altered if your future needs change.

Con's include increased "Latency" on your network possibly resulting in slow Wi-Fi speeds depending on distance, interference of the Wi-FI signal is also possible. Depending on what the floor of the unit above you is constructed of, you may find that even with an additional Extender, you still won't have data access or Wi-Fi Signal.

Option 2:

You can request an additional Cable Socket to be installed at a location of your choosing. To arrange this, you'd just need to speak to our Sales Team on 132200 as this is contracted work.

Costs associated will differ depending on the amount of work required and the distance from the initial socket (cable length required). We do provide you with a quote of any costs before any work commences.

Pro's of this option include having the modem installed in an ideal location and could potentially remove the need for Extenders all together.

Con's can be a long list, but the main one is with the coming NBN Change over for HFC (Broadband Cable) area's. Once NBN is installed, any additional sockets would become useless and you're back in the same boat as you are now.

Option 3:

Arrange for "Smart Cabling" to be run in your home. This will provide Ethernet Sockets in key locations in your home and/or in the Unit you have upstairs. These can all be cabled back to where you modem currently is for easy connection to the internet.

You could then connect a separate Wi-Fi Router and connect it  back to your existing modem where it is now.

Costs of this option will also differ as they do in Option 2, and Telstra won't install this cabling for you as it is considered "Private Cabling". I'd recommend speaking to a Private Electrician for specific prices and receive quotes for the work needed.

Pro's for this option are that you can place a Wi-FI router anywhere there is an Ethernet socket installed. Reduced Network Latency as the cabling is direct to the modem and is less prone to interference over greater distances. Hidden cabling in walls of your home are also a plus if you're keen on "neatness". This option also "Future proofs" your home for NBN and allows greater flexibility if you find that you require hardwired access points down the track. Overall Network performance and speed tends to increase when using cabled connections over Wi-Fi Networks. 

Con's can be the price associated, and on rare occasions, the set up of additional Wi-Fi routers can be a little trickier (Most are plug and play - unless you require something specific set up). The purchase of an additional Wi-Fi Router can also be considered a con.

I hope that helps.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Matt 

Thank you so much for the very detailed answers. After exploring the pros and cons I am also thinking Option 3 option is best suited for my needs and awaiting to hear from a family electrician to get a quote to run the cabling straight from the modem to upstairs and then explore the router for WIFI option. My husband recokns will need about 35 meters of cabling.

Thank you so much 

Regards 

Manik 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Manik2

Sounds great!

Let us know how you go with this and your final decisions. 

I know if I had my choice, Option 3 would be for me in my house as well Smiley Happy

Sing out if you think of any questions about this. We're happy to help out, and someone from the "Crowd" might have their own thoughts to share with this also.

- Matt

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit