Highlighted
mynewcable
Level 3: Gumshoe

Is 65Mbps on the ultimate plan good enough?

Answered

Since installation, my internet speed has averaged between 55 - 65 Mbps.

When i contacted Tech support, they indicated that it was average for cable internet and there was nothing they could do.

Whilst i dont expect every to get to the magic 100!, i should be at least achieving 80-90Mbps.

Should i put up with "their" average, or should i be demanding that they checked their equipment (e.g splitters/amps) for the service i am paying?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Is 65Mbps on the ultimate plan good enough?

some hardware degrades with age so it's possible there are environmental issues at play, may be nothing that can be done about it, the speed seems typical though, going faster would possibly only help stuff that's hosted locally in Australia anyway
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Rory12
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

I have had ultimate cable for about a month and I have gone from 30mbps on elite cable to 70+mbps and wirelessly I am getting 40mbps.  We were never going to get 100 mbps and considering it is the fastest on the market other than the NBN rollout, other than tweeking your software on your pc, which might get a few more mbps, 65mbps is pretty good.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Accepted Solution

some hardware degrades with age so it's possible there are environmental issues at play, may be nothing that can be done about it, the speed seems typical though, going faster would possibly only help stuff that's hosted locally in Australia anyway
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Level 22: Superhuman

mynewcable wrote:

Whilst i dont expect every to get to the magic 100!, i should be at least achieving 80-90Mbps.

Should i put up with "their" average, or should i be demanding that they checked their equipment (e.g splitters/amps) for the service i am paying?

You're paying a service – and your consumer rights in that regard are centred around receiving a service that is fit-for-purpose (which doesn't exactly mean meeting all your expectations, if these were not communicated expressly to the service provider prior to purchase/contract, and the service provider has given you no indication that all your expectations will be met), so you really have no business when it comes to the fixed service assets (ie. networking equipment and infrastructure, in this case) the service provider uses to deliver the service. In my opinion as a fellow Ultimate Cable user (and I probably aren't getting 80-90Mbps on average, either), no, you ‘should’ not.

At best, if your expectations are not deliverable, then Telstra may offer to cancel your service and your contract, without any early termination charges of course.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

cancel the service might be a win against the powers that be, probably leave you having to use a slower service somewhere else though Smiley Wink

nelly82
Level 16: Secret Agent

Personally I would be very happy if I was getting the speeds you are currently getting.  Be aware that not everyone has access to cable,  So currently, your one of the lucky few.

For most people they would have to put up with between 6-8 Mbps if even that for ADSL2+ as an average speed and thats depending on congestion.

Have I been helpful? Click that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Found a solution? Then mark the solution in the thread to help others find the answer!
Maraket
Level 2: Rookie

Not wanting to sound like I'm being mean or anything, but to complain that your getting 55 - 65 Mbps which exceeds almost any other provide<removed>

Rory12
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

I have had ultimate cable for about a month and I have gone from 30mbps on elite cable to 70+mbps and wirelessly I am getting 40mbps.  We were never going to get 100 mbps and considering it is the fastest on the market other than the NBN rollout, other than tweeking your software on your pc, which might get a few more mbps, 65mbps is pretty good.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more