CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Glennx
Level 2: Rookie

Is NBN replacing my cable system?

Answered

The NBN rolled though my suburb on 4th December. The staff at the NBN van in the local shopping centre told me I have 18 months from 4/12/16 to switch over from my current 'old' cable service provided by them. After the 18 months they will cut my service.  Is this true? 

The problem is this. My 'current' Telstra cable is faster, cheaper than the NBN and carries Foxtel to my home.

I just calculated that I have to pay $50pm MORE to switch to a slower system...oh and I have no choice.

Would others be affected? I guess they must and I could use this forum to discuss a class action against the Telco involved.

Or am I wasting my time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Is NBN replacing my cable system?

Yes, you would be wasting your time discussing a class action. The NBN is regualted by government legislation.

18 months after the NBN switches on in an area, they switch off the legacy systems and assume ownership of the infrastructure.

The NBN HFC system should be faster than the current system once they perform their next round of upgrades, so don't rush to change. The problem is if you are in an HFC serviced area that the NBN has decided to retire. Odds are you will be put on FTTN, which depending on how close you are to a node, can still be as quick as the current HFC.

As far as provision of Foxtel, I'm not sure what happens in the areas that are "downgraded" to FTTN, whether it can be delivered via the copper, or whether a satelite option is required. A call to Foxtel may be in order to determine what happens in that case.

The pricing plans with Telstra are the same for "legacy" technolgies and NBN plans. The only time this isn't necessarily true is when you are on a Grandfathered plan.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

Yes, you would be wasting your time discussing a class action. The NBN is regualted by government legislation.

18 months after the NBN switches on in an area, they switch off the legacy systems and assume ownership of the infrastructure.

The NBN HFC system should be faster than the current system once they perform their next round of upgrades, so don't rush to change. The problem is if you are in an HFC serviced area that the NBN has decided to retire. Odds are you will be put on FTTN, which depending on how close you are to a node, can still be as quick as the current HFC.

As far as provision of Foxtel, I'm not sure what happens in the areas that are "downgraded" to FTTN, whether it can be delivered via the copper, or whether a satelite option is required. A call to Foxtel may be in order to determine what happens in that case.

The pricing plans with Telstra are the same for "legacy" technolgies and NBN plans. The only time this isn't necessarily true is when you are on a Grandfathered plan.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Yes. Standard services will get cut off if you have not changed over to NBN within 18 months of NBN declaring a suburb as serviceable

This is not a decision of the telco's, it is part of the NBN

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
AnthonyQ
Level 1: Cadet

Just remember who is responsible for the slower speeds of the NBN.
RexFiles
Level 2: Rookie

Hi,

Your last par is a tad confusing to a layman like me.  The pricing plans with Telstra are the same for "legacy" technolgies and NBN plans.  Does that mean NBN won't cost anymore than what I currently pay? and The only time this isn't necessarily true is when you are on a Grandfathered plan. What is a grandfarhered plan?

Regards

Rex H

lj006
Level 1: Cadet

RE: Jupiter -> The pricing plans with Telstra are the same for "legacy" technolgies and NBN plans. The only time this isn't necessarily true is when you are on a Grandfathered plan.

We enquired about NBN and we will be charged $13.10 more than our existing cable service, if we go ahead. So now we have applied with ActiveNet for $49/month for 300G instead of 50G. speed 25/5 (hopefully as good as our current cable speeds).

Considering we have been with Bigpond for ever and a day, I thought they would look after us. Go figure.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now