Highlighted
Bazag
Level 1: Cadet

Is my new place on a Sub-exchange?

Answered

Shortly I will be moving house. I will be moving to a place ~5kms away from the main exchange in my area.

This should half my current internet speeds but I also know that there is a sub-exchange in the general area.

Another family member at a different location (though fairly close to the new location) is on a sub-exchange and gets fast ADSL 1 speeds (8Mbps/384kbps).

I was wondering if there was any way to determine whether I will be connecting to the sub-exchange or the main exchange for my area?

Everything I've checked online seems to group all sub-exchange connections under the single main exchange banner.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Is my new place on a Sub-exchange?

When a request is put through for internet on the Telstra Network, the request is allocated to Telstra Wholesale who check the paths available, the port availability and the like to provide the best possible connection, this may include access to a sub-exchange if ports are available and that is deemed the best suited solution.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: Is my new place on a Sub-exchange?

When a request is put through for internet on the Telstra Network, the request is allocated to Telstra Wholesale who check the paths available, the port availability and the like to provide the best possible connection, this may include access to a sub-exchange if ports are available and that is deemed the best suited solution.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more