Highlighted
Blitztanker
Level 2: Rookie

Is there any repair date info for the Sea-Me-We-3 Cable

Gday ,

Does Telstra have any plans to fix the Sea-Me-we-3 cable or to use the NEW Vocus Perth-Singapore link .

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Is there any repair date info for the Sea-Me-We-3 Cable

The local carrier is working on repairs to teh Sea-Me-We-3 cable. Telstra has no control over those works. Can't answer the question about whether Telstra will use the ASC, but it was turned on early (was due to start operation today) by Vocus due to the latest Sea-Me-We-3 break.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being

its expected to be repaired by roughly the 22nd

Telstra has no stake in the Vocus cable. It does have it in the INDIGO cable though https://subpartners.net/indigo.html
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Blitztanker

Indigo West link RFS Q1 2019 at best case! That's a fair wait for a capable alternative/replacement to the Sea-Me-We-3 .
Considering all that has gone on with the existing cable , It would be a great move to utilise the new cable for the sake of the faithful customers .
Level 22: Superhuman

The network is working as intended, data is be re-routed around the affected cable fault. There is no guaranteed latency on consumer services.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Blitztanker

Love it .
All care no responsibility

By the time negotations with Vocus would be finished and physical infrastructure built as a bridge between Vocus and the Telstra POP, the cable Telstra actually has a partnership in and already sunk a significant investment into (probably at least a 7-8 figure sum) will probably be ready for service.
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Blitztanker

Something similar to cold war negotiations , I guess . Considering were talking about a link to Australia not Joe Blogs house !

Assuming that you need a lower latency/ping for gaming, you may want to look into subscription services that essentially reduce lag, as they specifically optimize traffic to be routed to gaming serves along the best route. They act similar to a VPN in how they route your traffic. If you have a VPN already, you may notice a decrease in ping as the route taken by the VPN provider may use the different fiber optic cable to Asia compared to the one Telstra uses.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Blitztanker

I have tried a few different VPN's there's is little to no difference , In regards to the latency .

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now